User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default State of the industry

I've been laid off since January we all know how terrible things where in January so I decided to hold off and hope for things to pick back up. I can get state assistance for training right now, and I just can't get get by anymore on my $200 a week unemployment benefit. So have things picked up much since January? I'm currently in Michigan, but willing to relocate to Roanoke Va/ Winston-Salem NC/Knoxville TN. Honest gloom and doom free advice is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Things have picked up since January. The market is still soft and rates are down but there is more freight. I don't see as much available freight as last year but it has improved. If you enter this business you will likely do some sitting, but probably not as much as in January. There is much uncertainty in the market and that involves a lack in consumer confidence. That means that people are spending less than they were last year. Until consumer confidence returns then the economy will continue to be soft. You can still make a living in this business but it may take a few months or a year or more for any significant improvement to take place. If there are some carriers that you are specifically interested then I would check with them to see what they may offer in miles and income. I am certain you can earn more than you are getting on unemployment. It is a matter of holding out until things turn around.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Rookie
Thumbs up

Thank you Gman, anybody else?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid89 View Post
I've been laid off since January we all know how terrible things where in January so I decided to hold off and hope for things to pick back up. I can get state assistance for training right now, and I just can't get get by anymore on my $200 a week unemployment benefit. So have things picked up much since January? I'm currently in Michigan, but willing to relocate to Roanoke Va/ Winston-Salem NC/Knoxville TN. Honest gloom and doom free advice is appreciated.
If you move to Roanoke.. there's a regional company out here name Harris Trucking.. last time i checked they took students over the age of 23, i would give them a call and see what they say..
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Rookie