User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Food Grade Tanker

Anybody have experience pulling a tube?

I could use some advice on minimizing the surge with a thick product (corn syrup)

Thinner products I seem to have down- corn syrup kicks my butt at times. I can't always feel which way it's moving and it hits HARD. Stop and go sucks, a line up at a stop sign is about the worst.

Intelligent advice and smartassed comments equally welcome.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 05-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
Anybody have experience pulling a tube?

I could use some advice on minimizing the surge with a thick product (corn syrup)

Thinner products I seem to have down- corn syrup kicks my butt at times. I can't always feel which way it's moving and it hits HARD. Stop and go sucks, a line up at a stop sign is about the worst.

Intelligent advice and smartassed comments equally welcome.
not much you can do besides try to shift smoother and take longer to stop, gradually slow to a stop , of course when Grandpa pulls out in front of you, all you can do is brace yourself
Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I got one of those the other day, man I thought someone rear ended me it hit so hard, I had no clue it was coming. Usually you know when to get ready for it. Not much you can do just try to be slow and steady.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Board Regular

Thanks!

It helps to know it isn't just me. I've had the- Did I just get rear ended by another truck? moment.

I run a lot of 2 lane with hills & the slow down then get back on it, turn one way then the other action, sometimes it feels like it wants to push you in 4 directions at once. Starting on an uphill, like a steep onramp sucks. I piss off a lot of 4 wheelers because I'm so slow.

I always thought I was a pretty smooth driver- I'm smoother now.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Aint pulling the "tube" fun? Like Fre and Mike said...you just gotta learn how to adjust to it.

Really though...I am surprised that corn syrup surges so much. I wouldn't have thought it would!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Aint pulling the "tube" fun? Like Fre and Mike said...you just gotta learn how to adjust to it.

Really though...I am surprised that corn syrup surges so much. I wouldn't have thought it would!
Stan.....corn syrup has about the same consistency as styrene.....and I've pulled it, like when I spent that week pulling for Carry......took a load of that stuff about 400 miles..... Its got a fairly slow roll to it....like styrene, but when it hits the head....you know it

Best advice I can give.....is when you're in line at a stop sign or in stop and go traffic.... run in a low gear....2d in a 10 speed...and just idle along. Stop as gentle as possible, and feel the tank....you should be able to feel its movement and right about when it gets close to the head...ease out the clutch. You can't rush a tank....especially if you are carrying a thick heavy product....:smokin:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Board Regular

To quote my trainer:

"Slow your leg down"

Pretty much sums it up
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Stan.....corn syrup has about the same consistency as styrene.....and I've pulled it, like when I spent that week pulling for Carry......took a load of that stuff about 400 miles..... Its got a fairly slow roll to it....like styrene, but when it hits the head....you know it

Best advice I can give.....is when you're in line at a stop sign or in stop and go traffic.... run in a low gear....2d in a 10 speed...and just idle along. Stop as gentle as possible, and feel the tank....you should be able to feel its movement and right about when it gets close to the head...ease out the clutch. You can't rush a tank....especially if you are carrying a thick heavy product....:smokin:
Good advice- Thank you!

I always try the idle in 2nd technique, but it's hard when azzholes in 4 wheelers keep cutting in. I have a section of 101 in town where it reduces from 2 lanes to 1, right at a stop light. Last week I was idling up to that & had to use the brakes twice because cars merged right on my bumper, then had to stop for the light. It was a really short light, to let one car out of the side street and I let the clutch out right as the surge hit the back of the tank. Uglier than my sister, I thought I was gonna leave a driveshaft in the middle of the intersection.

I think I'll get better at timing the surge with practice. We only see about one syrup load a week and it's not always bestowed on yours truly, although the other tanker driver would be happy if it was. I've got the sucrose pretty well figured out- I can actually hustle it through the 2 lane roller coaster sections we run fairly well. Maybe I'm weird, but I love trucking when I can take something a bit more difficult, like pulling a tank, and do it smoothly and be really productive at it.

Friday I got a curtain van load to LA. I was way down the road before I realized I was still babying it away from intersections and shifting like I had surge. I told one of our other drivers about it in LA & he said; "Dude, if you're feelin surge with a load of lumber, I want some of what you been smokin, you need to share man"

Last edited by LightsChromeHorsepower; 05-18-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I had a load of glue in pods last month. It was moving all over the place. I can only imagine how much worse it is in a tanker.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
Good advice- Thank you!

I always try the idle in 2nd technique, but it's hard when azzholes in 4 wheelers keep cutting in. I have a section of 101 in town where it reduces from 2 lanes to 1, right at a stop light. Last week I was idling up to that & had to use the brakes twice because cars merged right on my bumper, then had to stop for the light. It was a really short light, to let one car out of the side street and I let the clutch out right as the surge hit the back of the tank. Uglier than my sister, I thought I was gonna leave a driveshaft in the middle of the intersection.
No matter what you do.....there are idiots in cars that will cut in front of you....let them in. Its far better to have the stupid and crazy in front of you where you can see them, than behind you where they might really do something stupid....like pass in a no passing zone and catch you in a position you don't want to be in. You know what they are going to do....and its much easier to let them go than to try and fight with them.... besides, the paperwork isn't worth the grief if they make contact with you..... no matter who's at fault, you're caught in the middle.....

Quote:
I think I'll get better at timing the surge with practice. We only see about one syrup load a week and it's not always bestowed on yours truly, although the other tanker driver would be happy if it was. I've got the sucrose pretty well figured out- I can actually hustle it through the 2 lane roller coaster sections we run fairly well. Maybe I'm weird, but I love trucking when I can take something a bit more difficult, like pulling a tank, and do it smoothly and be really productive at it.
You'll get better as you go, and you'll learn to automatically adjust to the load....it comes with experience..... we (chemical tankers) pull loads with many viscosity's... from thick to thinner than water....and as long as you understand that its always moving and you have to keep it as level as possible....you'll do fine.

Quote:
Friday I got a curtain van load to LA. I was way down the road before I realized I was still babying it away from intersections and shifting like I had surge. I told one of our other drivers about it in LA & he said; "Dude, if you're feelin surge with a load of lumber, I want some of what you been smokin, you need to share man"
Been there, done that,,,,:smokin: But thats OK.....better to be "safe" than "sorry".... :thumbsup:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.