User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Work History..?

I retired from my last job (Deputy Sheriff) in Dec 2007, Before that I was in the Marines for 13 years. After I retired from my last job (11 years) My wife got laid off and i had to go back to work, so i filled out a boat load of applications and was accepting just about everything that came along just to pay bills. My problem now is that I have had about 7 diff jobs in the last 2 years. I know this doesn't look good. I didnt keep track really of dates, still looking for pay stubs and what not. I now really want to become a truck driver and make a career of it, How bad will those last 2 years hurt me? Is all that previous employment and unemployed time stuff Federal or company required, anyone know a place that would list you previous employers?

Sorry so long..just trying to get my ducks in a row

Already turned down by Swift.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ulan View Post
I retired from my last job (Deputy Sheriff) in Dec 2007, Before that I was in the Marines for 13 years. After I retired from my last job (11 years) My wife got laid off and i had to go back to work, so i filled out a boat load of applications and was accepting just about everything that came along just to pay bills. My problem now is that I have had about 7 diff jobs in the last 2 years. I know this doesn't look good. I didnt keep track really of dates, still looking for pay stubs and what not. I now really want to become a truck driver and make a career of it, How bad will those last 2 years hurt me? Is all that previous employment and unemployed time stuff Federal or company required, anyone know a place that would list you previous employers?

Sorry so long..just trying to get my ducks in a row

Already turned down by Swift.
CREDIT REPORT would list employers. THIS is the part of the DAC (the credit report part) that potential employers use - as IT usually lists employers.

7 jobs in 2 years doesn't show a lot of "stability" - but I suppose in these "trying times", very few people can actually claim a helluva lot of stability where employment is concerned.

It may, in your case, be more a thing of LOCATION - especially if SWIFT turned you down - as they seem to take ALMOST ANYONE. Where are you FROM? Fr'example - I'm from Fort Lauderdale - and NO ONE HIRES from Fort Lauderdale - ESPECIALLY NOT NEWB's.

I assume your discharge from the Corps was HONORABLE, and your departure from the Sheriff's office was amicable? Did you SPEAK with a Swift recruiter and actually find out WHY you were turned down? Have you tried Covenant (another carrier that seems to hire just about anyone)?

I somehow get the feeling that there's more to your situation than just having 7 jobs in the last 2 years - usually - if they're non-dot-reportable, it's not as important as if you've been job-hopping through trucking companies...

Rick
Old 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

If i'm not mistaking a DAC only lists Trucking Jobs.. not regular jobs
Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
If i'm not mistaking a DAC only lists Trucking Jobs.. not regular jobs
You can order non-trucking reports also.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Credit reports, won't list dates - at least the ones that I looked at.

You might want to try your unemployment office.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
CREDIT REPORT would list employers. THIS is the part of the DAC (the credit report part) that potential employers use - as IT usually lists employers.

7 jobs in 2 years doesn't show a lot of "stability" - but I suppose in these "trying times", very few people can actually claim a helluva lot of stability where employment is concerned.

It may, in your case, be more a thing of LOCATION - especially if SWIFT turned you down - as they seem to take ALMOST ANYONE. Where are you FROM? Fr'example - I'm from Fort Lauderdale - and NO ONE HIRES from Fort Lauderdale - ESPECIALLY NOT NEWB's.

I assume your discharge from the Corps was HONORABLE, and your departure from the Sheriff's office was amicable? Did you SPEAK with a Swift recruiter and actually find out WHY you were turned down? Have you tried Covenant (another carrier that seems to hire just about anyone)?

I somehow get the feeling that there's more to your situation than just having 7 jobs in the last 2 years - usually - if they're non-dot-reportable, it's not as important as if you've been job-hopping through trucking companies...

Rick
Yep, Honorable discharge from the Corps.. Good Standing with Sheriffs Dept, And I live in Ky, They wont tell me why they turned me down, M I did ask in a polit manner )It may be because about 5 years ago I was in an accident,(not my fault)Feels like crap being turned down my swift from what i have read, maybe a blessing in disguise..Working on gettin on USA now..

Last edited by k9ulan; 07-07-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

You should be able to track down previous employers from a related state agency(s). Such as, Workmans' Comp, Dept of Labor and so on.

Good Luck
Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Rookie
Question stuckin companymanure

i have only been driving 11mths i have only had two jobs in the trucking industry, the reason i left the first is they kept putting me with these 13mth guys who had limited skills and even less knowlege in communicating that information so i got frustrated and went to swift ,big mistake went out with a trainer for a week which was much better this trainer had at least 6 years under his belt and made the trans alot smoother so that wasn't the prob.. but i got a driver manager that would not respond to any of my requests without extreme effort so i end up driving 3 days sitting 4 or driving 2 sitting 3-4 and i got tired and requested a new dm and that set the wheels in motion to get rid with of me long story short some how i end up with 4 jobs in 1 year and originally they tried to say i was a no show then it went to i violated company policy which was also a lie but now i have to get this off my dac before any company will even give me a second look and all i want to do is drive this is my career they are screwing with is there anyone who can help me with good info

Last edited by court08; 07-08-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ulan View Post
Feels like crap being turned down my swift from what i have read, maybe a blessing in disguise..Working on gettin on USA now..

Frying pan to the fire Dep.

Colonel Sanders would not be proud..........

USA is a (tag) for something more........

Unless you are financed by the Commonwealth. Big 10-0.

Always double stuff the cuff.

Last edited by belpre122; 07-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

The HR dept of the companies that you previous worked for should be able to give you that info, or even the payroll ofc. I think most have to pay quarterly taxes and list the employees along with SSI and Fed taxes paid in. Try calling some of the companies or going in, if they are local. 7 jobs in 2 years indicates some instability; however, you should list the activities that you were doing during your down time, especially if they were anything significant like any sort of training even if it was self-inspired. As long as it doesn't look like you do things like...get mad and storm off, won't do anything that is "beneath you", etc...You have to try to look like you stayed busy.

I am not sure where you are located but there are some opportunities out in SE New Mexico, especially for someone with your background - at the uranium enrichment facilities (Hobbs/Eunice area). Security guards there are rumored to be making like $24 or $25 an hour.

Humphry Davy