User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Pulling a flat bed is a little more involved than a van. Securement is pretty basic across all states. That is something that is regulated by the feds. There are securement books that are sold at most truck stops which could help you learn about what is needed. Some carriers will train you and may have a booklet or drawings that you can keep in your truck that will help in properly securing a load. You will find that most flatbedders are more than willing to help you or answer any of your questions. Most shippers are also helpful in telling you how they want their load secured. Securement is something that you will pick up and learn as you go. Much of it is common sense.
When I drove for SMX, I had the ugliest loads on the highway, but my load wasn't going anywhere. If I was required to put on 4 straps, I used 10. :lol:
Working around gooseneck flatbeds on the farm, we use a little more than what we need. The trailer might look funny, but I don't see anything wrong with using extra chains, straps etc. I'd much rather take more time, using more than what you actually need than losing a load.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
LOL..... I saw a Western Express flatbed about 3 weeks ago that had it backwards. I tried to raise on the radio but he wouldn't respond.
There was a guy at the scale on I 80 by Joliet two weeks ago when I stopped to show them my oversize permit. He had an officer out looking at his load. They had the tarp pulled back on his coil. I am not sure how many chains he needed to secure it, But there was only one on it when I walked by. We share the road with some dumb MFers.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Board Regular

I've picked up loads that only weighed 30K and used 20 straps. Like it was said above by DD "if I have to make an evasive maneuver, will the load stay put?"

Theres never a thing as to many straps on a load, but I have seen with to few......:hellno:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
When I drove for SMX, I had the ugliest loads on the highway, but my load wasn't going anywhere. If I was required to put on 4 straps, I used 10. :lol:
Working around gooseneck flatbeds on the farm, we use a little more than what we need. The trailer might look funny, but I don't see anything wrong with using extra chains, straps etc. I'd much rather take more time, using more than what you actually need than losing a load.

A load doesn't have to look pretty. It is much more critical to get the load to it's destination in one piece and without falling off your truck than look pretty.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Board Icon

Yeah, I agree.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Rookie

When I did flatbedding, I always secured it enough to where I feel safe to have my friends and family come around me and not worry about anything falling off the load on some loads i used 2 straps others i used every strap i had with me. I am hoping once the economy starts to improve i can again start pulling flatbeds loved the workout and no load is ever the same :thumbsup:
Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrjr_7 View Post
When I did flatbedding, I always secured it enough to where I feel safe to have my friends and family come around me and not worry about anything falling off the load on some loads i used 2 straps others i used every strap i had with me. I am hoping once the economy starts to improve i can again start pulling flatbeds loved the workout and no load is ever the same :thumbsup:

Yep, right on the money. I loved flatbedding too because of the same reasons. I heard something from an old timer, (no offense to anyone, you could tell the guy had been doing it some years) " If you roll the truck will the load stay in place? No, well then throw another strap."
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Just remember this. The front tarp goes over the back tarp.
The Hay haulers in Southern Ca. scare the crap out of me. Half the time there load is hanging off to one side or the other :lol:
Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --grande-- View Post
The Hay haulers in Southern Ca. scare the crap out of me. Half the time there load is hanging off to one side or the other :lol:
Boy you ain't kidding there. I was rolling north up I-5 yesterday and and seen this hay hauler that had those BIG bales on and the last bundle (which appeared to have only one strap on it) looked as if it was just about to come off the trailer. I don't mean the entire bundle was going to fall, it looked like his one strap cut into the bales and she was going to fall apart. Thank goodness he was heading south.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Just be careful and use good common sense, and take your time. Others said just about everything I would say. I didn't have the luxury of a securement class, I learned on the job and am pulling it off. Never ever be afraid to ask questions of the other drivers out there and if there's any doubt throw another strap. If you think something is going to poke a hole in your tarp, it probably will so throw a diaper on it.

*The diaper tip is courtesy of GMAN*