User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Arrow had that many in 07- early 08, now I don't know. I can say this. I sent out a mass email from here and Arrow called. I told them I was a rehire and had left orientation last year. She called back thursday and said I checked out and can come to orientation May4. As for small local companies in my area, not many. I have been to 8-10 and they all say I need more experience. I anly have 14 months most want 24.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most insurance companies require a minimum of 2 years experience. That is the main reason most smaller carriers will not hire those with less experience. Many of the larger carriers self insure up to a point. Their insurance often only comes into play with a catastrophic claim. I am currently talking with one insurance company that requires 3 years otr experience. I am trying to find better rates on insurance. If it means that I can get a much better rate then that is what I will do.

With the offer from Arrow are you planning on going back with them, bigrigjoe66?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Rookie

I need a job but not that bad. I will mow grass around here first.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
It seems to me as though these companies spend a lot of money bringing people to orientation to not have trucks for them. I am surprised that Arrow brings in 70 people per week to orientation.
I have had quite a few talks with our recruiter (we only have one) since I started. Mostly to get more of a feel for our company from the inside. When I went though the process of getting hired:
1) I filled out the application.
2) They went through my work history and MVR
3) They had me stop by the closest terminal for a road test.
4) They scheduled a physical and drug test.
Only after these steps did they offer me a job and invite me to orientation. They do it that way so they weed out people before they even get to orientation, Saves them alot of money. We had a couple of openings in Texas and they had 12 people apply. 3 failed the drug test, 2 failed the road test, 5 failed to disclose felonies (including 3 with DWI's) and 2 failed the physical. Can you imagine the expense to bring all these from Texas to Wisconsin (All orientation is done at headquarters in Wisconsin) only to find these things out when they got there?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One recruiter that I know with one of the larger carriers told me that when they receive an application the first thing they do after checking over the application is to pull a DAC and MVR. They don't even pull those if there are questions about the application. If things look good on the application, DAC and MVR then they may have them come to orientation. They check further once the applicant is at orientation. This particular carrier doesn't even do a drug test until the applicant gets to orientation. In fact, the first thing the applicant does when they get to orientation is take a drug test. Once that is done they start orientation and check references. They check the first 3 years and if everything looks good then the applicant is offered a job once they receive a good drug test back. If there are questions then they may check back 10 years. An offer isn't even made until they receive the results from the drug test. This particular recruiter told me that the main problem they have with new hires is drugs. He told me that a high percentage will actually take drugs over the weekend knowing that they will be taking a drug test the first thing on Monday morning. :roll:

I am not sure why some wait until the applicant gets to orientation. It maybe due to so many failing to show up.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
One recruiter that I know with one of the larger carriers told me that when they receive an application the first thing they do after checking over the application is to pull a DAC and MVR. They don't even pull those if there are questions about the application. If things look good on the application, DAC and MVR then they may have them come to orientation. They check further once the applicant is at orientation. This particular carrier doesn't even do a drug test until the applicant gets to orientation. In fact, the first thing the applicant does when they get to orientation is take a drug test. Once that is done they start orientation and check references. They check the first 3 years and if everything looks good then the applicant is offered a job once they receive a good drug test back. If there are questions then they may check back 10 years. An offer isn't even made until they receive the results from the drug test. This particular recruiter told me that the main problem they have with new hires is drugs. He told me that a high percentage will actually take drugs over the weekend knowing that they will be taking a drug test the first thing on Monday morning. :roll:

I am not sure why some wait until the applicant gets to orientation. It maybe due to so many failing to show up.
If you KNOW you have a drug test, and proceed to do drugs anyway, then you are most assuredly an addict I mean come on, if you must smoke that fatty at least wait until after the drug test!

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Wouldnt you rather have them not bother showing up then waste your time?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Wouldnt you rather have them not bother showing up then waste your time?

I don't know why they would even bother, either. They know they will not pass the drug test yet they come to orientation and take the drug test anyway. In addition to wasting everyone's time they are also costing the carrier money for orientation, housing, food, drug test and background check.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't know why they would even bother, either. They know they will not pass the drug test yet they come to orientation and take the drug test anyway. In addition to wasting everyone's time they are also costing the carrier money for orientation, housing, food, drug test and background check.
Knuckleheads are job security for all the rest of us, I guess.

I went through orientation with a guy who got arrested on his first load. Someone noticed him swerving, called the company, and the company called the California Highway Patrol. Dude had a wife and kids. Instead of being able to support them, he goes off to jail, loses his income, loses his livelihood, and will probably have to pay fines in addition to the jailtime.

I hadn't smoked pot for quite a few years. I had been out of trucking for a couple of years and I was partying with some people and, wouldn't you know, took a power drag or two- that's all it takes to mess me up. Anyway, I went back into trucking a few months after that and was a little concerned. Now, to think, guys smoke the ol' mari-hoochie-juana a couple days before their drug test!?!?! All these Darwin Award winners are making it easier for all the rest of us to have jobs.

Last edited by lowrange; 04-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure that these malcontents then race for the nearest internet connection, and spew out venom about how they've been hard done by, by the company.