User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I never touch any kind of alcohol while on the road. I don't care if I will be sitting 3 days. If I will be sleeping in the truck, NO ALCOHOL. Even at home, if there is a chance I will be doing any driving the car within 24 hours, I stick with root beer. That way, I don't have a problem.

Talked to another driver in Gary, IN, last week. He was going to be sitting for more than a day, and said he got some beer, then went back to his truck. Someone saw him with it, and called his company's safety department. He's now looking for another job. The company fired him for having beer in the truck. At least, that's his story and he's sticking to it.

I've seen other drivers doing exactly the same thing. And, if you look around the parking lots at a number of truck stops, there are empty bottles from beer laying around in the grass. Looks like there are a lot of drivers that sit behind their trailers and have their beer before going to bed.

I also know a lot of people that will have a beer or shot before going to bed. It helps them sleep. But, what do you do if you get a six-pack in the evening and don't finish them all before you go to sleep? Guzzle the last one before you release the brake? That'll get you a DUI. And, these days, you could have a genuine accident, but the alcohol in your blood gives you "TAG" for life... And, a new career. I just don't think it's worth it. When it's all added up, just one beer can cost you a couple of hundred thousand dollars.
Had a driver for a company I worked for get stopped in NY for a DOT and they found a six-pack in his sidebox. The driver was in a store where he delivered and saw this beer that wasnt found anywhere and bought some to take home. The DOT put him out of service, he called the company and they fired him on the spot.

If its not on the manifest dont put it in your truck.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

You know, I was just thinking. IF you are an owner op, what if you where to write yourself out your own BOL for any beer you may purchase and wish to transport? Technically it would be completely legal! As an owner op you could transport it even if it is for yourself. And being store purchased, it has already been taxed, so you do not need the permits for it.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
You know, I was just thinking. IF you are an owner op, what if you where to write yourself out your own BOL for any beer you may purchase and wish to transport? Technically it would be completely legal! As an owner op you could transport it even if it is for yourself. And being store purchased, it has already been taxed, so you do not need the permits for it.
Now that is a good question. I'm still going to say no. If you are leased onto another company and are hitched to their trailer then you are under their authority and have to run a log book when you move. Any type of alcohol must be on the manifest. At least that is my understanding. If you have your rig bob-tail its considered a pov. I don't know. huh....

When I was running Canada alot I used to stop by the duty-free on the way home and buy a liter bottle of Absolute for $12. I'd put it on my bunk in the bag with the receipt in plain sight. Sometimes the customs would search my truck and see it but they never said anything about it and I had no idea I couldnt do it until someone else said something about another driver getting popped for doing it. I figured that as long as it was in plain sight and was still unopened and had the receipt it was ok.

Can any O/O answer this?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
When I was running Canada alot I used to stop by the duty-free on the way home and buy a liter bottle of Absolute for $12. I'd put it on my bunk in the bag with the receipt in plain sight. Sometimes the customs would search my truck and see it but they never said anything about it and I had no idea I couldnt do it until someone else said something about another driver getting popped for doing it. I figured that as long as it was in plain sight and was still unopened and had the receipt it was ok.

Can any O/O answer this?
Few thing about duty-free zones.

-- The item(s) must be declared. Faulure to declare could lead to forfeiting the goods.

-- The trip must be at least 48 hours.

-- Only one exception is allowed every 30 days.

See: Duty-Free Exemption - CBP.gov

kc0iv
Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Normally I would say yes but in the smaller border crossing the custom guys are used to locals running over the border to buy beer and liquor and bring it back. As long as you keep it within the amount that your supposed to have, something like 1 liter or 2 cases per person, they don't hassle you at all.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Now that is a good question. I'm still going to say no. If you are leased onto another company and are hitched to their trailer then you are under their authority and have to run a log book when you move. Any type of alcohol must be on the manifest. At least that is my understanding. If you have your rig bob-tail its considered a pov. I don't know. huh....

Can any O/O answer this?
There is nothing that says you cant have multiple BOLs. Most of my loads are multistops with separate BOLs for each stop, there is no single BOL or even a single trip sheet. Sometimes I haul 2 completely different loads at once (loaded at 2 diff places going to 2 or more diff places)

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655 View Post
Think of the POSITIVE side of this. CR England now has an opening for a driver One job created!

No after that accident that driver was put in charge of driver training or made driver of the year for those clowns.:clap:
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
There was a driver on this board, (last year, I believe) that got a DUI without ever having one drop. It was an empty beer can in the vehicle he borrowed from a friend. Open container gave him a DUI. I don't trust their interpretation of the law. I wouldn't suggest any one else does either.
Sorry, WW. I'm calling B.S!! Not necessarily on YOU for repeating this nonsense.... maybe on the poster who CLAIMED that he got the DUI with NO ALCOHOL in his system.

I know some states have varying laws concerning open containers.... along with much LESSER offenses for doing so. But, I don't "believe" there is a state in the UNION that can convict you of DUI with NO BAC level indicating you have been drinking!

Posters show up on this board from time to time and LIE about the circumstances surrounding their offense. I can't believe you would BELIEVE this B.S., let alone repeat it! Oops.... I take that back! You are certainly capable (and on the record) as doing BOTH!

And Matcat: It is 24 hours.... and ONLY if you are between .02 and .04. The FMCSA considers anything LESS than .02 as "inactionable."

I realize it is part of the Trucker's Mystique to stretch the truth now and then, but sometimes you guys totally AMAZE me!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.