User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver2 View Post
I am new to the world of percentage pay. If you get 23% of the load line haul what does that mean? 23% of the total of the load?
23% of a $1.00 a mile is $.23cpm, and split that for a team = not much. $.23cpm for a solo is the same minus the split part. 23% of pay to the truck is all well and fine except for the mileage incurred: short hauls sometimes tend to pay better somewhat, where long hauls are what they are. Is this % pay on ALL miles, dead-head AND loaded?? When I drove for % pay, I was paid one rate for loaded (24%) and less for empty (20%).

Everyone seems to think getting % is better than mileage, but think of it this way: a company or an o/o can go out and low ball a bid to get their foot in the door of an account. When they do this who takes the cut? YOU the driver. If the driver is getting paid mileage he gets the same $$ regardless of how bad the company or owner is cutting rates...and in this economy rates are in the TOILET. Screw that, let the company or the owner take the hit for the $$$.

As a company driver, I would not run under % because you would most likely not be able to refuse a load. This could cause you to get screwed royally under percentage. And remember under percentage the empty miles are usually on you. The rate must be strong enough under percentage to justify long deadheads.

Besides, no company is going to pay their driver 30% of a $2 per mile load, think about it. You will probably find yourself making about .15-.20 per mi. and no home time at all. Your better off driving as a solo and getting paid per mile. Not many companies pay less than .30 if you got at least 1 yr. exp.

The moral of the story is that 23% of nothing is nothing.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombestonebilly View Post
23% of a $1.00 a mile is $.23cpm, and split that for a team = not much. $.23cpm for a solo is the same minus the split part. 23% of pay to the truck is all well and fine except for the mileage incurred: short hauls sometimes tend to pay better somewhat, where long hauls are what they are. Is this % pay on ALL miles, dead-head AND loaded?? When I drove for % pay, I was paid one rate for loaded (24%) and less for empty (20%).

Everyone seems to think getting % is better than mileage, but think of it this way: a company or an o/o can go out and low ball a bid to get their foot in the door of an account. When they do this who takes the cut? YOU the driver. If the driver is getting paid mileage he gets the same $$ regardless of how bad the company or owner is cutting rates...and in this economy rates are in the TOILET. Screw that, let the company or the owner take the hit for the $$$.

As a company driver, I would not run under % because you would most likely not be able to refuse a load. This could cause you to get screwed royally under percentage. And remember under percentage the empty miles are usually on you. The rate must be strong enough under percentage to justify long deadheads.

Besides, no company is going to pay their driver 30% of a $2 per mile load, think about it. You will probably find yourself making about .15-.20 per mi. and no home time at all. Your better off driving as a solo and getting paid per mile. Not many companies pay less than .30 if you got at least 1 yr. exp.

The moral of the story is that 23% of nothing is nothing.
My 23% of nothing came out to $1600.00 this week. But then again I had to run 2400 miles (that includes the deadhead to the load and home). Cpm for ALL miles $.66 One year anniversary for otr is in 2 weeks. With a three day weekend.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
My 23% of nothing came out to $1600.00 this week. But then again I had to run 2400 miles (that includes the deadhead to the load and home). Cpm for ALL miles $.66 One year anniversary for otr is in 2 weeks. With a three day weekend.
What are you hauling?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Oversize stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------

Here are my numbers for the past week using the Jumbo method: (Kool-Aid):clap:

My 23% of nothing came out to $1593.96 this week. But then again I had to run 2069 miles. Cpm for ALL miles $.77

Oh yes..........and I was home everyday!:bow:

What am I doing wrong Tim?

Last edited by belpre122; 03-22-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
-----------------------------------------------

Here are my numbers for the past week using the Jumbo method: (Kool-Aid):clap:

My 23% of nothing came out to $1593.96 this week. But then again I had to run 2069 miles. Cpm for ALL miles $.77

Oh yes..........and I was home everyday!:bow:

What am I doing wrong Tim?
You arent doing anything wrong. I divided my pay by the all miles I drove. My response was to Tombstone billy saying that no company was going to pay percentage of a $2 permile load and that on percentage you will end up making .15-.20 cpm with no home time at all. I think you and I would agree that there are alot of companies who have garbage pay rates or make it so the way you can make any money is to climb in a cage with another monkey and drive the wheels off or stay out weeks at a time. You and I and alot of others here can show some of these guys that you dont have to run yourself to death to make a decent living. And you dont need years of experience. We have hired guys straight out of driving school.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
I divided my pay by the all miles I drove.
Yeah, I sat down and did the exact same thing you did, and those were the numbers that I came up with for last week. I was following your lead but didn't word it so well

Good luck trying to convince them otherwise Jumbo. Most of them seem content to hobo around for weeks at a time for $400-$700 a week. To try and steer them in a different direction risks incurring the wrath of the diehard/apologist types that will defend their right to "work 80 to 100, log 70, paid 40" to the death.

There are fuel transport companies that also will hire drivers out of school. Not according to the diehards though. "Go out there for a couple of years and get some experience," is their overused misguidance to many beginners.

Kool-Aid drinkers........all of 'em!:moon:
Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Yeah, I sat down and did the exact same thing you did, and those were the numbers that I came up with for last week. I was following your lead but didn't word it so well

Good luck trying to convince them otherwise Jumbo. Most of them seem content to hobo around for weeks at a time for $400-$700 a week. To try and steer them in a different direction risks incurring the wrath of the diehard/apologist types that will defend their right to "work 80 to 100, log 70, paid 40" to the death.

There are fuel transport companies that also will hire drivers out of school. Not according to the diehards though. "Go out there for a couple of years and get some experience," is their overused misguidance to many beginners.

Kool-Aid drinkers........all of 'em!:moon:
If you think it's fine to put school graduates in tanks fine, but I strongly disagree.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

:nana: :argue: :ranting: :banghead: :argue:

:whistle: :whistle:

:bigcry:

That's all I got to say about this topic.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
:nana: :argue: :ranting: :banghead: :argue:

:whistle: :whistle:

:bigcry:

That's all I got to say about this topic.

Stan, Could you please be more specific?:lol: