User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Those "ticket fighting" people that bug you at truck stops

I am sure most of you have come across these people that sit behind the little podium at some truck stops who try to get you to buy some coverage to fight tickets.I have never stopped to talk to them because I don't really have the time and I want straight forward answers not a 10 minute lecture. The sign says "We fight pre-existing tickets".

Does anyone have any experience with this service? What are the pro's and con's? How much do they charge?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Board Regular

A waste of money, a word to the wise don't get a ticket and you won't need them.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

All I can tell you is what my cousin, who is a district court judge, once told me. The best time to contest charges is before you plead guilty.

With that said I think you would be better off to subscribe to some kind of pre-paid attorney program than go with one of these deals where they fight after the fact deals.

When I drove I belonged to Open Road. I found the rates reasonable, every licensed driver in my house was covered for the same price and it included many of the same features as an auto club would (for our private cars not the truck).
Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Board Regular

I would just save the money that you would pay them each month and put it in a savings account or something. Then by time you get a ticket you would probably have enough money to fight it, unless you are a serious screw up that gets a ticket every month. Never have listened to their spiel though, but boy are they bothersome. You tell them you are not interested and they will practically follow you out of the truck stop. Have seriously wanted to punch a few of those guys before.:angryblue:

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Senior Board Member

ran into a lady like that at the Pilot in Laredo. She started talking to me in spanish, then switched to Spanglish and asked very poorly, "you need pre-paid legal service?". I just said, "nope....my lawyer is in my sleeper.....and she's tired!!!" hahahah
Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I was laid over at Monroe, MI and listened to the pitch. She said it was stupid for not having the service. I said, "Thanks, I have been stupid `all these years and didn't know it. You probably sell a lot of this" and walked to the Pizza Hut Express.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Well an old fart that stopped me at the T/A in Richmond/Ashland the first question he asked me was did i have a TWIC card?? i was like WTF?? i knew what the card was but i was like why is he asking me this.. then he start rambling about that ticket fighting stuff and i told him i had to take a duece and i be back, of course i went to Popeyes got me a three piece and walked out the front.. I drive a 60 mile per hour truck, i don't plan on getting pulled over by Beauford T Justice any time soon...
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Every time I pass one that tries to suck me in I tell them I don't need it. They look at you as if you are an alien. What do you mean you don't need it? Because if you use your head and drive safely you won't ever need the service. It's perfect for those outlaws that speed from truckstop to truckstop to play the cherry machines.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

At one time I subscribed to Prepaid Legal. They give you a certain amount of legal counsel per year included in the monthly fee. For the most part it was a waste of money for me. I think that I could have done as well or better on my own. I keep my speed down and drive carefully so it isn't a factor with me. If you get a lot of tickets then it may be worth it for you. Basically what most of these people do is locate a lawyer for you in the jurisdiction where the ticket was received. Supposedly, you are given a discount rate for the attorney they secure for you.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
At one time I subscribed to Prepaid Legal. They give you a certain amount of legal counsel per year included in the monthly fee. For the most part it was a waste of money for me. I think that I could have done as well or better on my own. I keep my speed down and drive carefully so it isn't a factor with me. If you get a lot of tickets then it may be worth it for you. Basically what most of these people do is locate a lawyer for you in the jurisdiction where the ticket was received. Supposedly, you are given a discount rate for the attorney they secure for you.
its probably the same level of 'legal education' as you'd have got from the service anyway. I think those 'pre-paid' services are for those newbie lawyers who dont really want to spend the time to make a good name for themselves, or want their own 'firms' name on business cards they hand out.

either that, or its just for a bunch of interns looking for work. either way, its no different than those loser lawyers who have such a deep bench of people who actually use them, so they look for 'work' by spending $400-500/mo on bilboards showing them holding a phone in a rented $2,000 suit.