User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I know of about 4 places that troopers like to sit on the west bound side. You won't see them until you're right on top of them, and going down hill, just try to slow down. Gravity works in your favor for fuel economy on the way down, but against your brakes. It's a good place to get caught.

On the east bound side, there is really only one place at the bottom where they can hide, and west-bounders can see them. The ones they catch there, are the guys that must listen to their XM radios instead of the CB.

I've also seen trucks rolled over going both ways. One, several years ago, was very lucky he didn't go down over the edge. I have a feeling that would have hurt all the way down.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Reminds me of Cheat Mountain on I-68 just outside of Morgantown, WV. Our terminal is about 20-25 miles from there, so I cross that hill/mountain quite a bit. I also know the history of wrecks that happen at the bottom of the hill with the sharp turn.

Anyway, I was coming west one day and went through the brake check area. I was running light that day, knew that my truck and trailer both had new brakes, so I just rolled through the brake check area. Someone gets on the radio and tells me that I'm supposed to actually stop and check my brakes. I explain to him that I know the hill, my weight, etc. He continues running his mouth.

I get back on the interstate and do the posted 50mph. My truck is in 9th, engine brake is on high and is holding me perfectly at that speed. The guy who is yelling at me from the brake check area comes flying past me, probably doing 70mph. I figure that he's missed the signs that says trucks have a 50mph speed limit, so I remind him. He yells back "I've got good brakes. I just stopped and checked them." Ok - whatever.

When I get to the bottom of the mountain and cross the bridge over the lake, he's sitting on the shoulder of the bridge with every axle on his truck smoking like crazy. I feel obliged to get on the cb and tell him "You *HAD* good brakes."
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Reminds me of Cheat Mountain on I-68 just outside of Morgantown, WV. Our terminal is about 20-25 miles from there, so I cross that hill/mountain quite a bit. I also know the history of wrecks that happen at the bottom of the hill with the sharp turn.

Anyway, I was coming west one day and went through the brake check area. I was running light that day, knew that my truck and trailer both had new brakes, so I just rolled through the brake check area. Someone gets on the radio and tells me that I'm supposed to actually stop and check my brakes. I explain to him that I know the hill, my weight, etc. He continues running his mouth.

I get back on the interstate and do the posted 50mph. My truck is in 9th, engine brake is on high and is holding me perfectly at that speed. The guy who is yelling at me from the brake check area comes flying past me, probably doing 70mph. I figure that he's missed the signs that says trucks have a 50mph speed limit, so I remind him. He yells back "I've got good brakes. I just stopped and checked them." Ok - whatever.

When I get to the bottom of the mountain and cross the bridge over the lake, he's sitting on the shoulder of the bridge with every axle on his truck smoking like crazy. I feel obliged to get on the cb and tell him "You *HAD* good brakes."

Hey....I heard a conversation like that, when I was sitting at that same spot! Some guy's just gotta be yakkin.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post

I was coming down that same hill, going westbound, and on the eastbound side, one truck rear-ended another. I have no idea how fast either one was going when they hit, but the second one was in pretty bad shape. I don't think that hood or radiator was ever going to be repaired. (or maybe the lead truck was backing up/down... I don't know)

I had often heard other drivers talking about pushing each other up that hill. But, I never knew they needed to TAKE A RUN AT IT...:eek2::hellno:

Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Monteagle can be very hazardous. There are a lot of drivers who under estimate the danger of that section of highway. If you are heavy and going a bit too fast down the mountain you could easily turn your truck over. Those posted speed limits are there for a reason. It is only a few miles and when you get to the bottom you can hammer down. At least you will get to your final destination if you slow down.
Yes, Monteagle is very dangerous and deceiveing! I seen a guy in about '04 with a load of carpet that rolled OVER the center barrier going West at the BAD curve. He wound up in the East bound ditch, went across the wall and 3 lanes of traffic!!! NEVER LOSE RESPECT FOR THE RESPONSIBILITIES that we are entrusted with!!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 AM

You got to watch that thing. I live on top and have seen a number of trucks crash out. Something else people don't think about is rock slides. A mail truck got hit by a big rock last year. The thing came off the top and went over his truck and hit on the drivers side front fender and hood. First time I ever seen anything like that. A friend of mine towed it to his shop. It was a mess. Best thing to do is keep your speed down and your eyes open when you run around on the rock....