User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New and have ???

I have been going through this forum and a few others and looking at all the companies out there that will train or take new grads. It seems that the pay can vary from .27 to .35 and then you have some that do a % of the load. How do you choice? I know it's a lil easier to narrow down some b/c they just are not in it for the driver or they just are not hiring. It also appears that everyone has an LP. The way i see it is if you want to make money you should have your own truck right. I know there are a lot of you here that say not to LP and i see your point. What would be the advantage of buying your own truck and being a O/O instead of the LP? How many miles can you put on a truck before you really start to have problems with it? Can anyone give man some insight to Prime.inc and there LP. Is it a decent deal? There % they pay is 72% of the line haul.. How do you figure out what your really making per mile? I am new and have lots of questions. I hope you all can help me, I'm sure I will have more..
Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcu View Post
It also appears that everyone has an LP. The way i see it is if you want to make money you should have your own truck right. I know there are a lot of you here that say not to LP and i see your point. What would be the advantage of buying your own truck and being a O/O instead of the LP?
1. Most Lease Purchases have you paying far more for the truck than it will ever be worth. The contracts are designed to favor the carrier rather than the driver.

2. Even if you manage to complete a lease purchase (which rarely happens), you'll then own a truck with high miles that you overpaid for.

3. When you lease purchase, you are at the mercy of the carrier. If they don't want to give you enough freight to cover your expenses, they don't have to. They will still charge you rent on the truck though.

4. Most carriers that offer lease purchases pay very little. Even the ones that offer percentage are not necessarily any better because the rates can fluctuate greatly.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
2. Even if you manage to complete a lease purchase (which rarely happens), you'll then own a truck with high miles that you overpaid for.
That is assuming it is a true lease purchase which many are not. Many of them are actually only leases with the option to purchase the truck at "fair market value" after completing the lease.

Beyond the points already made another HUGE disadvantage to doing a company LP is that 99.9% of the time you MUST keep the truck leased with that company until you have actually purchased it. When you buy a truck outright and if needed finance it through an outside source (bank, credit union, etc) you can take the truck anywhere that will accept it and you. That way if you find yourself not making it at one company you can always switch.

Quote:
The way i see it is if you want to make money you should have your own truck
Yes and no. The POTENTIAL is there for a bigger payday, but like any investment the risks are higher also. There are many company drivers, when it is all said and done, who actually end up taking home as much if not more than an O/O does.

As far as how to choose between a cent per mile or percentage pay plan there is no easy answer, especially for a company driver. Like being an O/O the potential is there for bigger paychecks with a percent deal but likewise there is also a bigger risk of coming out on the short end of the deal if the company you are working for hauls a lot of cheap freight or does a lot of dead heading as most percent pay structures do not pay anything for empty miles. Like most things in this industry it really comes down to the company and how well you and it mesh.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Board Regular

I would definitely recommend starting out as a company driver, this will give you a good idea of all the variables you will encounter as an o/o. Just starting out learning to drive,plan and live on the road is hard enough on some people without all the additional burdens of paperwork,budgeting and chasing freight.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Board Regular

^^ Good advice. I would seek employment as a company driver starting out in this industry. You never know, you might not even like it once you get out on the road. Would hate for you to sign some sort of contract and then decide OTR trucking is for the birds. Good luck and stay safe.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

right now my plan is to go O/O by August. but that all depends on if i can get a truck financed thru a 3rd party or not.

My biggest issue with LP programs, is that the company will try putting you into a truck that is 2 years old, and still charge you a 'new' price. I was at the Phoenix terminal, and the had about 7 trucks all lined up, a couple with "LEASE ME" signs in the window. Every one....EVERY ONE, was atleast 2 years old. They have the plastic on the seats, they are very well detailed, etc. But they forgot to remove the IFTA stickers, and every one had a 2007 and 2008 sticker.

Problem is, companies love this....you lease the truck....end up in it for 6-8 mo. decide to get out....you give back the truck....your 'investment' is lost, you have nothing to show for your hard work, and the company cleans the truck up and pawns it off on another eager driver wanting to go O/O as a 'new' truck. And the price is exactly the same. Companies make hand over fist......

Hence the reason i want to not have any ties with the company as far as the payment of the truck goes.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for all the info.. I have another one. What do you think about Prime inc. and TMC
Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Board Regular

I wouldn't work for either one, but that is just me. You really do not hear many good things about Prime, I would presume, having never worked there, that they are just your run of the mill OTR trucking company.
Now TMC, on the other hand, has all their drivers saying how splendid the company is. Maybe the chrome pipes have them is some sort of euphoric daze. J/K Seriously, they would probably not be a bad company to start out driving with. TMC seems to be very safety minded which is beneficial to entry level drivers. Nice trucks, as well.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Unless TMC has changed their training program they would be a good company to start out with if you are wanting to learn the ins and outs of flatbeds.

One thing about TMC though is if you are the type of person who does not like to keep their truck or themselves neat and clean don't bother. They are big on appearance.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
Quote:
That is assuming it is a true lease purchase which many are not. Many of them are actually only leases with the option to purchase the truck at "fair market value" after completing the lease.
And please, pray tell, explain how you're not overpaying for the truck in that scenario?

The terms of the L/P rarely matter. I have yet to see one that was worth it.