User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Sidewinder did you check out Mid Florida tech on John Young and Oakridge, The hours are mon thru Thursday 7 to 5, I think they even hold weekend classes too. The cost cant be to much more then 2200 as it only cost me 1800 back in 2004.
The 8 week program will have you more ready for the road then roadmaster trust me on that one you will be able to back up any tractor with confidence and the community college programs are looked at a little better then a 3 week crash course by the bigger companies.
In this day and age it is a employers market, why would an employer take a 3 week trainiee over an 8 week trainiee when they already have tons of apps from experienced drivers. If I was the employer I would go for experienced first then I would look at those who went to a longer training program, dont bite yourself in the ass with a cheap program, I looked into roadmaster off of Cinderlane Parkway and the program sucked I even had a student there tell me to run fast.... The same went for the program in Sanford TDI... Do it right make the time for the right school you wont regret it in the end plus Mid FLorida is a great time the instrutors are awesome and they make sure you are comfortable in the tractor... I went from Mid FLorida right into a local job and have been local ever since 5 years later I will clear at least 58,000 this year possibly 65,000 if i get all my bonus
If you go the other route chances are you will be sitting and looking for work and regretting roadmaster...
Just my two cents.hope it works out for you.

Timberwolf

Thanks TimberWolf!
I did check it out (Mid-FL), but their schedule does not work out for me. I do not have many choices.

Sidewinder
Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

One more thing Sidewinder. You may want to keep a close eye on your daughter's emotional state. Her life is about to get turned upside down and you will be on the road for weeks at a time. Lorain and the schools both have a reputation for being a pretty tough town with alot of drugs and gang activity. I know that it goes on everywhere in the country but Lorain is very much an inner city atmosphere. I'm not telling you how to raise your daughter just pointing out that she's lived with you for 13 years and she's in for a huge adjustment at a very impressionable age. BOL in school.

SM7
Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
One more thing Sidewinder. You may want to keep a close eye on your daughter's emotional state. Her life is about to get turned upside down and you will be on the road for weeks at a time. Lorain and the schools both have a reputation for being a pretty tough town with alot of drugs and gang activity. I know that it goes on everywhere in the country but Lorain is very much an inner city atmosphere. I'm not telling you how to raise your daughter just pointing out that she's lived with you for 13 years and she's in for a huge adjustment at a very impressionable age. BOL in school.

SM7

Thanks for looking out!
She is very excited about the change, and it is because she will be with her brothers and sisters. Thanks to her mom, she has two brothers and two sisters that she will get to grow up with. I have had a discussion with her about the lifestyle, but at her age, she has no idea what it will be like. She is willing to support me though, and tough it out until we finally get settled. I have heard stories about Lorain, but her mom is very involved and shelters the kids pretty well. They are turning out pretty nice.

Sidewinder