Old 11-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind View Post
What other type of fluid works for power steering fluid in a big truck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
The freightliners I drove previously- were set up to use 10w-40 in the power steering- One fluid for everything.. nice thinking.
I worked for a trucking company that used KW trucks one time, and they started the drivers using motor oil in the power steering systems of those big trucks. Now as a driver and observer of this practice back then, I observed that all the steering systems seem to begin leaking like crazy because of this new practice or maybe it was not because of the practice where as they began to leak. It seems as if it blew every seal in the system over a certain amount of time though. Now could it be that the oil is to thick as the viscosity changes with the colder and hotter temps, therefore causing the seals to possibly blowout as a result of ? Is this a tried and found to be a true and tested practice in which has gone on over time, and is the leakage simply due to the standard wear on the systems over time (400 to 500 and/or above k miles), and maybe not due to the oil that was being used in these systems ? I'm just a curious person who is an observer of changes that are made over time to systems, along with the affects or impact those changes may have had or do have on them. I can't help but wonder was it worth it or not in the long run when viewing the bigger picture (cost effectiveness), etc. that was to be involved in it all?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have used automatic transmission for many years and never had a problem.