User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
damn, hawk, you're 21? i thought you were a little older. i can call somebody junior!
feel free bud.. feel free...

It's crazy, cause everyone at Truck Stops call me Young Man.. One guy at a Shipper thought i was the drivers son or something..
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post

It's crazy, cause everyone at Truck Stops call me Young Man.. One guy at a Shipper thought i was the drivers son or something..
that's happened to me more than a dozen times.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Board Regular

OTOH (and to be fair - to PRIME, not Kev)...

I have spoken with a couple of Prime L/O's recently - who have told me their miles have been pretty consistent and have been NETTING about $1K a week.

That's not BAD $$, but for all the headaches and responsibility of being RESPONSIBLE for a truck - I'd STILL rather be in more control of the FINANCIAL FUTURE of a vehicle that I'm COMPLETELY ON THE HOOK FOR FINANCIALLY.

A vehicle lease FROM a Trucking Company (or a front company they control) is NEVER GOING TO BE in the DRIVERS FAVOR. Like, NEVER. Which is why most folks are VEHEMENTLY AGAINST IT.

While a lot of us have no "warm and cuddly" feelings for Kev - I STILL wouldn't want to see any fellow driver (even Kev) get butt-raped by a trucking company ( OK - MAYBE Kev). We're being taken advantage of bad enough by the companies, DOT, FMCSA - why ASK FOR IT?

Rick
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 PM

You're right not bad money, and some of the L/O's are doing that and more. A company driver with a "good paying" company could get that when the miles are there. Running teams with SNI, I had some weeks when I brought home $800, and no worries about cost of fuel, buying the wiper blades & ETC. Check the prime drivers forum, and look up Dr Zebra, one of the "success stories", his story is a very good example of how a L/O can work out for the RIGHT person. I would say he is the exception and not the rule.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
You're right not bad money, and some of the L/O's are doing that and more. A company driver with a "good paying" company could get that when the miles are there. Running teams with SNI, I had some weeks when I brought home $800, and no worries about cost of fuel, buying the wiper blades & ETC. Check the prime drivers forum, and look up Dr Zebra, one of the "success stories", his story is a very good example of how a L/O can work out for the RIGHT person. I would say he is the exception and not the rule.
Very very rare exception

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 AM

The other day I saw an Incorporated trucking company out of Troy, AL pulling Wiley Sanders trailers, Sanders HQ is in the same city, so you can make deals with trucking companies if you outright own your own rigs like these guys are saying.

It is a much better way to go with few strings attached.

If you own your own tractors you can pull for Trailer Transport or a lot of other brokers too !
Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
The Kev is something special boy... He's going to be Swifty O/O running 2000-2300 miles a week.. OMG.. Where is Big D when you need him, this is to good!!

Yes running 2000 to 2500 (i gave you the benefit of the doubt) you better be creeping up the road.. in matter of fact, you might want to go a little bit slower than 62.. lol..

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Kev everyone.. The Kev :clap:
He is "here". I am not certain which one he is.....but HE is here! :block:
Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

And we won't stop either! :clap:
Old 05-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
i know of a couple of rare exceptions to that rule at swift. one of the more prominent is a fellow who actually owns the truck. he's still getting the miles to afford all the do-hickies and what not. if you run around in the south: i-10, i-40, and around memphis, it'll only be a matter of time before you see him. he's the fellow with the blue 2007 t-2000 that is waxed on a weekly basis, custom rims that are also super shiny, street-glo, straight pipes, and he's based out of memphis. he won some award at a trucking contest. he was awarded second place for one of the categories. i don't remember which.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
i know of a couple of rare exceptions to that rule at swift. one of the more prominent is a fellow who actually owns the truck. he's still getting the miles to afford all the do-hickies and what not. if you run around in the south: i-10, i-40, and around memphis, it'll only be a matter of time before you see him. he's the fellow with the blue 2007 t-2000 that is waxed on a weekly basis, custom rims that are also super shiny, street-glo, straight pipes, and he's based out of memphis. he won some award at a trucking contest. he was awarded second place for one of the categories. i don't remember which.
We used to spend a lot of time going through West Memphis, that was the home terminal for SNI teams. I loved running the I-40, especially through Tennessee, what a beautiful place in the spring.

I think it take a special breed of person to make a L/O work, there is no margin for error, you must be on top of your business 100% of the time. That is why most fail, not many can dedicate themselves the way that is needed to stay afloat. I think you have to be more of a businessman than a driver, and willing to push yourself to stay out when others are going home, and be willing to sacrifice everything else to make it work. Even with that when diesel is up and freight is low, no amount of smarts is going to help you then.