User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Percentage of straight trucks on automatic transmission?

Hi everyone. I just got my B/Z license (in canada, that means you're authorized to drive straight trucks and buses) and I'm wondering how often do companies have a truck thats on automatic transmission?

Anyway, as a background, I've passed my government road test with a school bus (on automatic), then I tried learning how to drive a standard truck (6 speed and 10 speed) after I took my road test. So in total, I only got 10 hours under my belt as far as driving a stick shift is concerned.

I can say that I know how to drive a stick shift truck but I still feel a little nervous that I might fail a company road test driving a stick shift. As I heard that a company road test has way higher standards than the government road test.

In short, I'm not really 100% confident in my ability to operate a standard truck. I might need more training to polish it, but I'm short of cash for extra lessons.

Any advice on how much percentage of straight trucks out there are auto transmission? And if so, what types of companies usually have an automatic truck? As I heard that its only the dump trucks that are standard shift. Is that true?

And what about coach buses? Are those things automatic? Please advice this noob. Thanks.

Last edited by newdriver2009; 01-08-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Board Regular

Good question. I would like to know what percentage of trucks in the industry have CD players and what percentage are operating a cassette type player? I have never been to Canada. Do they have Dolby Surround Sound there?

Seriously though, just explain your dilema to the carrier that you are seeking employment with. Any carrier that hires rookies or someone with limited experience would be accustomed to this. It is not really that hard to drive a ten speed, you'll be alright.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.

Last edited by Biscuit Lips; 01-08-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Here in the US the automatics are really gaining in popularity, especially in dump trucks and tractors that pull side, belly and end dump trailers. The fleet owners of off-road trucks are finding they need to do a lot less driveline repair with automatics. I would suspect that the on-road trucks have essentially the same sucess with automatics.

In years past the automatics were troublesome with failures common at 70k to 100k miles. The automatics out there today are going in excess of 300k miles.

I think you'll be finding a lot more automatics in all types of trucks over the next 3-5 years.

I applied to US Express about 5 years ago and was told that all of their tractors were automatics at that time. It was one of the reasons I choose not to go there. I am old school and prefer manual transmissions.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnerdly View Post
Here in the US the automatics are really gaining in popularity, especially in dump trucks and tractors that pull side, belly and end dump trailers. The fleet owners of off-road trucks are finding they need to do a lot less driveline repair with automatics. I would suspect that the on-road trucks have essentially the same sucess with automatics.

In years past the automatics were troublesome with failures common at 70k to 100k miles. The automatics out there today are going in excess of 300k miles.

I think you'll be finding a lot more automatics in all types of trucks over the next 3-5 years.

I applied to US Express about 5 years ago and was told that all of their tractors were automatics at that time. It was one of the reasons I choose not to go there. I am old school and prefer manual transmissions.
905k on the '02 Volvo autoshift that I drive. I've been in the truck for 18 months now and have had 1 tranny problem - the shifter had to be replaced.

I've been driving auto's since around '04/05 and the shifter problem I had in this truck is the ONLY problem I've ever had with an autoshift.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
905k on the '02 Volvo autoshift that I drive. I've been in the truck for 18 months now and have had 1 tranny problem - the shifter had to be replaced.

I've been driving auto's since around '04/05 and the shifter problem I had in this truck is the ONLY problem I've ever had with an autoshift.
I believe it. However, there are many people who refuse to even consider something they are unfamiliar with. So many people who have never driven one insist they are "junk", and refuse to drive one.

Same thing with so many people insisting a certain brand of truck is nothing but junk, and insist that THEIRS is the only well-made truck on the road...
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM

The autoshift in the Volvo isn't the same thing as an automatic transmission from a mechanical standpoint. I drove one for a summer hauling aggregate to an asphalt plant.(2005) The auto shift is a manual transmission with a computer that controlls the shifting, the clutch and the throttle. They're ok to drive but I thought it was hard to get used to especially getting going from a dead stop on an uphill. I found that I had to go instantly from the brake to full throttle to prevent rolling backwards. I got used to it but it seemed kind of odd to drive. I also had a bit of trouble getting used to it shifting when I wasn't ready. I spilled my coffee a few times before I got used to that.

I don't say one is better then another, I just prefer a manual transmission. In over two million miles, I've never had a truck make me walk. I think the best way to maintain that record is to drive things I am able to repair myself.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I prefer a manual transmission. The auto's are nice in heavy slow moving traffic. +
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I would say that the O.P. should learn to operate a manual trans. proficiently, then he/she will be competent to drive any truck that he/she may be required to drive.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
I would say that the O.P. should learn to operate a manual trans. proficiently, then he/she will be competent to drive any truck that he/she may be required to drive.

There's a lot to be said for versatility. The driver that can drive most any truck is going to be in a lot stronger position in this economy.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I prefer a manual transmission. The auto's are nice in heavy slow moving traffic. +
I agree. I have driven auto's several times, and I don't like not having total control of the tranny, especially in bad weather or mountain driving. Plus the auto's can be real quirky, since they are computer controlled.

GO PACK