User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
As far power output all CB's are the same. The Galaxy 959 doesnt put out any more power than a Cobra 29 which doesnt put out any more power than a Cobra 19. The extra money gets you extra features like say talk back or weather band but not additional power. CB's are limited to 4 watts by the FCC. The wattage rating on the antenna pertains to handling capacity of the antenna itself but does nothing to boost what you have. With 4 watts you can talk 10 miles with a properly tuned antenna and a quiet channel, which is hard to find. The reason you can only talk a mile or two is because of interference from other radios and electronic devices. Your signal is there but it is drowned out. To get over that interfence you need more power. A radio shop can peak your amp by turning some built in limiters but at best you'll get 10-15 watts which is really nothing much. There's a few ways to get a big sounding radio. They can install aftermarket final amps (transistors) that will get you to about 30-40 watts. You can buy an illegal radio called an export radio or 10 meter radio. These are actually ham radios that look like CB's. They put out anywhere from 40-200 watts. In order to be legal they do not work on channel 19. But they are designed to be easily converted (which is illegal) wink, wink. Popular 10 meter radios are Galaxy, Connex, Ranger, Stryker, Magnum. Or you can by an in line external amp which can get you anywhere from 100 to 2000 watts or more. All of these methods are illegal but if you stay on regular cb channels and act responsibly no one will say anything. Buying good coax and antenna and having the antenna tuned to your installation is critical. The more power you have the more important this becomes. CB radio power is alot like horsepower in an engine. The first little boost is relatively inexpensive and helps alot. After that each extra watt/pony is expensive and you need alot of them to make a difference. Then after spending all that money it is very frustrating when it still doesnt work like you think it should and you spend more time and money troubleshooting or tweaking. If you do any mods at all or get an export radio I would also suggest getting a noise cancelling mic like an Astatic. they make huge difference in clarity. Cobra stock mics are the worst. IMO they sound like crap. FWIW I run a stock Cobra 29 with an Astatic and I'm good for around 5-9 miles but I drive at night and there is less interference. I had a Magnum (which was stolen from me) with around 60 watts and the distance was similar but the sound was bigger and deeper.

You mean my little ole radio is Illegal :cry:
Sorry end of hijack.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing you'll need is to coat your antennae with "SWR Fluid". You can find it at any T/S on the same shelf as the blinker fluid!!

Too bad "Radio Ray" isn't around anymore!!

:moon::moon:
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM

The CB Radio Talk Forum :: Index

Will answer all your questions.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
One thing you'll need is to coat your antennae with "SWR Fluid". You can find it at any T/S on the same shelf as the blinker fluid!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You had me going, till I got to the blinker fluid part.
How funny.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post

Too bad "Radio Ray" isn't around anymore!!

:moon::moon:

Well damn that is what I am missing for my little ole radio!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You had me going, till I got to the blinker fluid part.
How funny.

Yeah, first he had me thinking about the old Oil filled antennas -- do they still make them? anyone remember those? Oil filled to keep 'em cool.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
Yeah, first he had me thinking about the old Oil filled antennas -- do they still make them? anyone remember those? Oil filled to keep 'em cool.
We had oil filled antennas on the ship. The oil was expensive so it had to be locked up in the sea chest and the Capt. had the key to the sea chest. And if you lost it you would have to stand an additonal 12 hr mail bouy watch.