User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHG0069 View Post
well if you have no problem passing a background then be a cop.
Very hazardous job, and involves dealing with people too much. If I wanted to be a cop, I'd probably have little trouble considering my father's brother was the head sergeant at one of the precinct training academies for a decade or two. But that's a pretty scary job to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
I know it's hard.Transportation is just as worse as other parts of the economy.With an IT background there should be more options to you.Advertise on craigslist your services in IT and hopefully something can get out of there.I don't know,maybe join the military in the IT field(air force, navy).That's what i wanted to do in the military,IT(i like it even now as a hobby), but since i wasn't a citizen at the time i got to be a civil engineer(water boy).I'm still doing the national guard part time,besides trucking full time.If trucking fails,I'll get back active duty or volunteer for a deployment.That way i can survive.Best of luck!!!
Craigslist is a joke, or it has been for the last year I've been watching the IT sections on it. Ditto monster, careerbuilder, and most of the other well known names. They've all become havens of scams and spam. Same 5 or 6 companies/people endlessly rewording the same posts over and over from multiple accounts.

Besides, I was stupid enough to be mostly focused in hardware. When a computer is $3000, someone will pay you $15/hour to fix it (or rather, they'll pay someone else $60/hour who then pays you $15/hour when they dispatch you to calls). When it's a $300 machine like nowadays, and you figure the parts are gonna cost half that anyway, they're just gonna chuck it and buy a new one. There's little demand for people who can really fix hardware or build anything high performance. I actually had a headhunter tell me they couldn't get me into a helpdesk job because the last 3.5 years I spent as a senior hardware reviewer for an internationally published magazine was "too long out of the industry." That's like telling a NASCAR pit crew chief he hasn't worked in a garage in too long so we won't hire you at the tire store. The people running the industry on the HR side just have absolutely no idea what's involved with any of it.

The remaining parts of the industry are in administration and software development. Software dev got outsourced for the most part since code runs the same whether the coder speaks english or swahili, and admin requires life in a corporate hive. Unless you went straight in to one right out of school there's little chance of getting picked up because of the skills that no other area uses and you have noplace else to acquire. At 32 I'm about 10 years too late, even if I did manage to fit with the rest of the drones.

The only remaining actual IT jobs posted on places like CL are the ridiculous jobs posted by HR managers who just grab a list of buzzwords and put them all down as "requirements". Which means they expect you to have 10 years experience in a product that's only existed for 3 years, plus direct hands on experience with proprietary stuff nobody uses but them, oh and by the way do 6 other jobs (network troubleshooting, accounts admin, infrastructure planning, maintenance, website coding, backend SQL, and make coffee) in your spare time, and you'll need a CS degree (which is mostly theory and math) that has nothing to do with anything in your job. CS for an admin job is kinda like demanding your mechanic have a degree in chemical engineering because truck engines are powered by combustion.

Maybe there's something out there for people who are really sociable and can shop themselves around to mom and pop operations and handle their support needs, and build up a big enough client list to live off that. But I'm not that kind of person. There are reasons I'm really interested in a job that involves spending days or weeks at a time alone like long distance driving.

As for the military... they don't take people like me. Even if that changes in the next presidency, I'd still be even more scared of that than becoming a cop.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

Gldm, I understand. I'm not really a "people person" myself. If I think of any other ideas, I'll think of you. THat's one of the reasons I suggested inching your way into environmental. A lot of that sampling work is one-person work and days out at a time. My field tech is an IT guy. I tease him that he should get his bluetooth sync'd with my printer so he can fix it for me even when he's not in the office.

Humphry Davy
Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMoose View Post
Gldm, I understand. I'm not really a "people person" myself. If I think of any other ideas, I'll think of you. THat's one of the reasons I suggested inching your way into environmental. A lot of that sampling work is one-person work and days out at a time. My field tech is an IT guy. I tease him that he should get his bluetooth sync'd with my printer so he can fix it for me even when he's not in the office.
One of the best printer fixing tools is a nailfile. The rollers tend to get worn after years (especially heavy use office lasers) and start slipping on the paper, causing jams. If you rough them up with a file or sandpaper every few months to a year they can grip again andt the printer go a lot longer without having to spend a lot of cash on "reconditioning kits" from the manufacturers.

I used to fix a lot of other things on the side while working for a guy doing rollouts (delivering the new computers and setting them up) for state agencies. He used to constantly complain to me about "going too fast" and so I'd wander off and fix other problems to pass the time. I later found out the reason for his complaints was he was skimming half what the state was paying him per hour per worker from our pay to pile on top of his own, so he wanted it to take as many hours as possible. Oh and just to add insult to injury, he always paid us by the day rather than the hour.

The welfare type place I've been going to this past week keeps coming up with driving jobs I would take, but they all require a CDL.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldm View Post
The welfare type place I've been going to this past week keeps coming up with driving jobs I would take, but they all require a CDL.

Well, get a CDL.