User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Decision Made

I have made my decision after speaking with representatives of countless trucking companies during the last two weeks. Finally getting to talk to a live human being was a major effort at most of the companies. You know how it is with the endless voice mail menus, leaving messages and having no one call you back, etc.

Many of the companies now are only taking students into their own training programs, which means that you are an indentured servant to whichever company you choose for at least one year. I won't do that.

Many other companies said, "Go get six months experience somewhere else, then give us a call."

Frustration galore. Forget it.

I have decided to latch on as an independent business owner with a fairly new outfit based in Georgia selling durable medical equipment. This company is doing well in the southeastern part of the country and is looking to aggressively expand northward and westward, so I see it as a good ground floor opportunity to both do some selling myself and a build a nationwide sales team under me. The compensation model is much like that of an insurance agency. I get commission on my own sales, plus overrides on anything my team sells. The company already has several reps earning $10,000 a month or more.

To all of you who have so generously contributed to my threads here on CAD and answered my questions, thank you. Thank you for all the hard work you do bringing to market in a truck everything that I buy, and now even the DME that I am going to sell. Be safe out there.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Senior Board Member

BOL in your new adventure. You have good people skills and a great head on your shoulders. I know you will do well!!! :thumbsup:
Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM

PM for ya
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Nevada View Post
I have spoken with recruiters at a couple of companies that work with the truck driving school that I am considering attending.

The recruiters say that they can't hire me because I haven't worked in five years. They want to see a steady work history for the past three years.

When I explain to them that I was with my last employer for 17 years, they don't care. Their response is, "You haven't worked in five years. We can't hire you."

I sure don't want to spend five weeks in a truck driving school--paid for by a WIA grant or not--and not have a job lined up when I graduate.

Am I wasting my time pursuing a trucking career?
Nah, you're not wasting your time.
I had a similar status so I used a statement by my accountant. No problem.

You were self employed, just like I was. There is a federal mandate requiring that employers account for the last 5 years prior to your employment as a truck driver. 9/11 stuff, I guess. So tell em. Self employed. Then be ready to back it up. I never had to prove it, but my accountant said he was ready to issue a letter or whatever they wanted.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC120 View Post
PM for ya
Thanks. I just read it and sent a PM to you.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Good luck with the new venture Retired in Nevada. If you change your mind let us know. In fact, keep us posted anyway.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Good luck with the new venture Retired in Nevada. If you change your mind let us know. In fact, keep us posted anyway.
Will do, GMAN and all of you rooting for me in my new venture. Thank you for the well-wishes. I will post here on my progress occasionally.