LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
Hey Snowman are you working steady? Bottom of alot of LTL boards aren't working much right now.
No I'm not. I lost my road spot about 5-6 weeks ago. I work in the city anywhere from 2-5 days a week. Slightly more pay than I would get on unemployment but I keep my health insurance. 6 are laid off and I have 1 left below me. Not working today but maybe get a road run tonight since thay didnt run on New Years Eve and there is 2 days of pickups sitting there. If I can I'll go long and stay out all weekend. I imagine by March I should be back to my old spot but who knows with this economy.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I love my job, I make good money, I have a TON of freedom on my run, with no boss's telling me what to do or when to do it, the bills dont pay themselves, and the fridge doesnt restock itself.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
No I'm not. I lost my road spot about 5-6 weeks ago. I work in the city anywhere from 2-5 days a week. Slightly more pay than I would get on unemployment but I keep my health insurance. 6 are laid off and I have 1 left below me. Not working today but maybe get a road run tonight since thay didnt run on New Years Eve and there is 2 days of pickups sitting there. If I can I'll go long and stay out all weekend. I imagine by March I should be back to my old spot but who knows with this economy.
Well I got my wish. Going to South Holland Il tonite. 656 mi round trip minimum but SOH is a big hub so I will try and get something else besides going home so I can stay out all weekend. Shows you how much I want to work cause you know how I hate working weekends!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
Well I got my wish. Going to South Holland Il tonite. 656 mi round trip minimum but SOH is a big hub so I will try and get something else besides going home so I can stay out all weekend. Shows you how much I want to work cause you know how I hate working weekends!
:thumbsup::clap::clap: Be safe out there, driver
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

As with most of those that stick with this, I love driving a big truck.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
I have a B.S. in Political Science. It's one of those degrees you get when you have no idea what you want to do with your life.
Exactly.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Ain't that sweet. You admits' to such a thing? :clap::clap::clap:

The bottom of lots of boards aren't working right now...and at those Carriers you disdain so much...It's the other way around....THE TOP of the boards ain't working so much right now.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

For the very reason you disdain them!! The almighty $$$$
What are you blabbering about now, Stan? I have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you put the bottle down and sober up. :zzz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I hear ya. We laid off 10 men on our city board and 2 linehaul...really not that bad considering what's going on at Yellow & Roadway....I wonder how many guys are gonna get bumped when they merge those terminals together? But I agree with ya'...I think if you can hold out til Spring, things will start to pickup and you'll be back in the saddle again and we'll see some callbacks. Keep the faith! :thumbsup:
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
What are you blabbering about now, Stan? I have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you put the bottle down and sober up. :zzz:

:thumbsup:
Now....if your gonna speculate that I am drunk...you need to know me well enough, to know how much I drink...and when I do drink. I haven't been drunk since the ripe old age of 26, so obviously you don't know me at all. :roll:

Damn...that's half a life time ago almost....I better go get drunk to celebrate it!

:clap::clap:
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all of the great info! I have another question though...imagine that..ha!

How do you guys go about scheduling vacation and things like that? I mean, with a desk job or local job you can usually schedule vacation time, doctors appointments and things like that pretty easily. I'm guessing not so much with OTR. It seems that by doing OTR as a living you are dedicating you life 99% to work and work only. Am an wrong? THanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 AM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony19953 View Post
It seems that by doing OTR as a living you are dedicating you life 99% to work and work only. Am an wrong? THanks!
OTR is live to work not work to live. You give up too much living on the road (weekends, friends, social life, getting laid, etc) for not that much payback. Get a local 9-5 job for $35,000 and you are miles ahead of guys earning $50k OTR because they're working more than 2X the hours and sleeping in a truck everynight.

It's not a bad job, it's just underpaid to what you can make being home everynight and off every weekend with even a somewhat decent 9-5 job.

If you have no marketable skills and can only earn about $9.00-$10.00/hr then OTR might be a step up...the only problem is that your stuck then because there's no way to obtain the skills/education for a better job when you're living on the road and working 12-14+ hour days. It might be OK too if you're a loner, drifter, don't play well with others type. Beyond that, you're wasting your time and your abilities.