User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99 View Post
Dude. No, I won't knock that one off the tee (but I could).
So, what's stopping you? I did not have a "nasty mind" when I wrote it.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
So, what's stopping you?
Uncertainty about the audience.

Quote:
I did not have a "nasty mind" when I wrote it.
The guy who tees up the ball might not have a good golf swing either. The fella who steps up and knocks it into the trees... maybe.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Board Regular

I am not real sure what the point of this thread is , the topic just says "Hey!!!". Anyway though, the other day there was this driver that got onto the interstate and the ICC bumper on the trailer was about to fall off. Was not dragging the ground or anything but you could clearly tell it was badly broken, like there was just one little spot weld on one side holding it.Was just sort of teetering back and forth. Well, I got on the radio and said: "the driver that just got on the interstate going south your ICC bumper is about to fall off". Much to my surprise a female voice answered and said she just got on the freeway but did not know what the hell an ICC bumper was and to leave her alone. So, I just put my truck in the left lane and passed her quickly. That is all I have to say about that
Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
I am not real sure what the point of this thread is , the topic just says "Hey!!!".
Well, it started out talking about the air lines under the trailer dragging on the pavement because of a broken spring, and repairing those that get damaged before we realize they are dragging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
Anyway though, the other day there was this driver that got onto the interstate and the ICC bumper on the trailer was about to fall off. Was not dragging the ground or anything but you could clearly tell it was badly broken, like there was just one little spot weld on one side holding it.Was just sort of teetering back and forth. Well, I got on the radio and said: "the driver that just got on the interstate going south your ICC bumper is about to fall off". Much to my surprise a female voice answered and said she just got on the freeway but did not know what the hell an ICC bumper was and to leave her alone. So, I just put my truck in the left lane and passed her quickly. That is all I have to say about that
And, it's quite possible that you may have been talking to a 4-wheeler that has a CB, and had the radio on, while the truck driver was listening to XM. I'd have made a bit more effort.

I also met a USX driver that had just picked up a trailer at a drop yard, and in the evening, when she passed me, the whole back end of the trailer was dark. I looked for the lights and only saw dark holes. Someone had removed all the lights, and she picked it up that way. Obviously, a pretrip was never done. If that bumper were to fall off at 70 mph, it is quite capable of bouncing, and going through someone's windshield. It could be lethal. I would have made a bit more effort, but I would also have done my level best to either stay in front of her, or at least a quarter mile behind her.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

And, it's quite possible that you may have been talking to a 4-wheeler that has a CB, and had the radio on, while the truck driver was listening to XM. I'd have made a bit more effort.
I did not turn the radio off after I informed her of the bumper's condition. Listenig afterwords it was clear she was the same individual holding the steering wheel. Another, likely more patient and tolerant driver, informed her what an ICC bumper is.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Board Regular

When I was with Knight, I always kept 2 extra springs and a bunch of rubber straps, plus tie wire. There were always disasters waiting for me almost everytime I had to find an MT in LA.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I had that happen to me. I was about 40 miles east of North Bay, ON and noticed my air pump going on alot. I stopped and sure enough, the spring had let go and the airlines and dragged on the ground long enough to wear a hole in them. I always carry bungee cords so that wasnt a problem to hitch them up off of the ground but I can tell you one thing: duct tape and electrical tape are no match for the air pressure in that line. Luckly the hole was small and the air pump kept up with it until I got to North Bay.

Happened on another trailer of mine and someone behind me saw the lines dangleing and hailed me. I pulled over and we looked. the lines were hanging down but hadn't hit the ground, yet, and worn through. Bungied it up and was on my way.

I always look at my spring holding up the lines now. In the north the salt will eventually wear through the metal spring.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Board Icon

The thread was titled "HEY!!!" because that is supposed to get the attention of newbie drivers. Whenever some other trucker pulls up next to you, and makes ANY kind of signal, the best thing to do is pull over and hope he does the same so he can tell you what he has seen that could cost you money or your life! (not directed at YOU, Biscuitlips!)

I'm not quite as mechanical as Windy. But, I ain't a total moron, either. I pick up the discarded pieces of broken tarp strap/bungee cords in parking lots and save them for just this purpose. I also carry a few smallish hose clamps.

MOST holes in airhoses can be quickly "patched" by taking a small section of such rubber "straps" and placing it over the hole. Then, clamp it down with a single hose clamp, right over the hole. (Rubber is what's missing.... so, rubber is what I replace.)

May not pass inspection, but it will get me to a repair facility.

The clamps open up, of course, so no need to disconnect the hose to slide it over. And no need to know what "size" connector to use.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Great idea. When I get back I'm going to get a couple of hose clamps and through them into my toolbox with a piece of rubber hose.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
MOST holes in airhoses can be quickly "patched" by taking a small section of such rubber "straps" and placing it over the hole. Then, clamp it down with a single hose clamp, right over the hole. (Rubber is what's missing.... so, rubber is what I replace.)
Another way that will work in a pinch is to take a Bic pen, remove everything but the white shaft portion, and cut the air line in two. Put the pen shaft inside the air line, and clamp off with some small hose clamps.