User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Career Change (NAVY to OTR Driver)

Well gentlemen after 9 yrs in the NAVY I am seriously considering a career change this summer. I am extremely disgusted with the NAVY and the way they are doing business right now. I am looking at going to either Roehl or Schneider probably around the August time frame. The reason I am looking at those two companies is the fact that I can get on with there apprenticeship program and collect my GI BILL benefits during my first 2 yrs of driving. At least the GI BILL benefits can offset the low pay to start, what do you guys think?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Rookie

Think long and hard man, I was disgusted with the Corps after almost 12 years and they booted me medically.

Now I drive, I wish I was back in lol. The military can start to grate your nerves when you start seeing the big picture AND the screwed up ending but OTR trucking is honestly worse. There are a few really good companies out there but they are few and far between.

11 more years and you will have a check for the rest of your life for the time you put in. I on the other hand got the boot medically but the Corps and the VA are different entities therefore I got absolutely 0 for all my service. I have a congressman pushing them now. They decided since I went to school and went OTR and couldn't be home for a physical in 3 days I must be just playing around so I deserve nothing.

You think you're a number now, wait till you get out and have to deal with them. I went to CDL school a year ago, paid for it out of my own pocket and submitted my VA paperwork for GI bill reimbursment. STILL have no seen a dime although they "approved" my claim in May.

It's more of a hassle to get out than to just stay in and finish man.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Navy for OTR

The Navy's done business pretty much the same traditional way for over 230 years unfettered by progress, they're not about to change now.
Don't use your GI Bill Ed benefits to enhance your pay starting out asa trucker. 90% of people who complete a driver training program are out of the industry by the end of a year from starting. Several companies pitch the "apprenticeship" angle knowing full well the participants are just burning thru their hard earned VA benefit. If you want to use your benefit in an apprenticeship, go for a real trade such as plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc., or get a real degree such as an AA, AS, BA, or BS. Maybe even get into a masters program before you start spending your own money.
I think you're crazier than a bedbug to even think of driving at your young age, too many other opportunities. Better yet, stay Navy and make changes as you advance. BOL

By CWO3, USN, (Ret)
Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Rookie

You are absolutely right in some aspects however, I have been stuck in the same paygrade for the past 7 yrs and feel like I am going no where fast. The Navy has all these instructions out and yet for the most part they do not follow them or abide by them. I feel for you in your situation, dealing with the VA can definitely be a hassle. We will see what happens.......Thanks for your inputs
Old 11-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Senior Board Member

The only thing I received from the Montgomery GI Bill was an $800 check paid out while I was in driving school. If you can offset low pay with that, (ebonically speaking) you da man!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible View Post
The only thing I received from the Montgomery GI Bill was an $800 check paid out while I was in driving school. If you can offset low pay with that, (ebonically speaking) you da man!
How long ago was that?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord View Post
The Navy's done business pretty much the same traditional way for over 230 years unfettered by progress, they're not about to change now.
Don't use your GI Bill Ed benefits to enhance your pay starting out asa trucker. 90% of people who complete a driver training program are out of the industry by the end of a year from starting. Several companies pitch the "apprenticeship" angle knowing full well the participants are just burning thru their hard earned VA benefit. If you want to use your benefit in an apprenticeship, go for a real trade such as plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc., or get a real degree such as an AA, AS, BA, or BS. Maybe even get into a masters program before you start spending your own money.
I think you're crazier than a bedbug to even think of driving at your young age, too many other opportunities. Better yet, stay Navy and make changes as you advance. BOL

By CWO3, USN, (Ret)
You are right, the Navy is not about to change. These days it is hard to burn thru your VA Benefits. Right now the GI Bill is in excess of $40K. Thanks for you inputs......
Old 11-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Navy to OTR

Seven years in grade, big whoop. I did ten as a first class before advancing. "Hard to burn thru your ed benefits", not. The ed benefit is for three years, usable within ten of getting out. You burn 2 years of it "augmenting" your driver pay, then what? You have one year of ed benefits left. I don't think you've researched your plan well, but why would you pay attention to someone who's been there. I'm still CWO3, USN, (Ret). BOL

P.S. What base in the Jax area?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord View Post
Seven years in grade, big whoop. I did ten as a first class before advancing. "Hard to burn thru your ed benefits", not. The ed benefit is for three years, usable within ten of getting out. You burn 2 years of it "augmenting" your driver pay, then what? You have one year of ed benefits left. I don't think you've researched your plan well, but why would you pay attention to someone who's been there. I'm still CWO3, USN, (Ret). BOL

P.S. What base in the Jax area?
I am attached to a sea going command in Mayport. What was your rate before you went warrant? 10 yrs as a first class sucks as well, what kept you from making chief prior?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Read this if you havent already.

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...ive-truck.html

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug