User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

These mistakes are not limited to newbie drivers either,my Dad works for WalMart and they get the wrong trailer delivered to the wrong store frequently......
Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

whenever I go to a new place, I always call and verify the delivery time and address, it only takes a few minutes and can save you hours.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
We get our permits and we follow them to a "T". If we are caught off route and get a ticket we pay it. That is why you check your permits against your route BEFORE you start. That is when you see what is what and if we have a problem we are supposed to call in and get it resolved.
Flatbed with an oversized load is a bit different than a 53' in VT, or a 102" wide in VA. With oversize, you're allowed 5 miles off your route to get fuel, but then, you must get back to your route. I also know that that 5 miles is distance travelled to get to the point you are at, not the distance from there to your route. If you have travelled 7 miles from your route, but are only 1/2 mile away from it, it does not count. You're still 7 miles off your route. You also get a new permit for each trip you make.

With a 53' van or reeffer, or even a 53' flatbed, in VT, the company gets a blanket permit that is good for the year. It also lists the roads you are allowed to run on. If the road is not listed, you're not allowed on it. In VT, you also have to worry about the overall length too. A rig that would normally be fine can be too long by adding those extra bumpers (Moose Guards) on the front.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Board Regular

Both companies I've worked for have a very explicit policy concerning "suggested" routing.

Roehl had a policy where it was the driver's responsibility to check the route against a motor carriers' atlas and ensure it was a legal route; if it was legal, the driver is expected to follow it.

Con-way TL/CFI sends "suggested" routing, but right under the routing, is the statement "ROUTES ARE SUGGESTIONS ONLY. DECISION TO FOLLOW ROUTES AND STOPS ARE THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE DRIVER. SUGGESTED ROUTES MAY NOT BE LEGAL FOR CFI TRUCKS AND TRAILERS. VERIFY WITH OTHER SOURCE MATERIALS BEFORE PROCEEDING"

Here, they don't expect you to follow any route but your own; they provide "suggested" routing to use as a guide as to what they are figuring for paid miles. The official line is to use whatever route you want, without going over 8% out of route. :thumbsup:
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
We get our permits and we follow them to a "T". If we are caught off route and get a ticket we pay it. That is why you check your permits against your route BEFORE you start. That is when you see what is what and if we have a problem we are supposed to call in and get it resolved.
That is 100% correct......only time I EVER deviated from a permitted route is when there was road construction sign that said all loads over 8 1/2' wide to follow a detour.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Board Icon

MAN, I am glad I didn't start my career with some of these companies! In fact, recently when I was "between jobs" I didn't even CALL some of these companies because of the horror stories I read here on CAD!

I was given "verbal" suggested routes. Of course, they were all pretty simple since I was going coast to coast. If there was a route that got me there within something like 100 miles or so (over a 2500-3000 mile route) I was okay to go! I once went 250 miles out of route and pizzed off my dispatcher. Big deal! I had been told the load HAD to get there on time, (which is WHY they gave it to ME) and there was a major snowstorm in the Wyoming area. Anyone who drives through there KNOWS that they close the roads instead of clearing them! So, I went around the storm! (I-40 to Gallup, NM, then up through Utah.)

When I got to Salt Lake City, I called the Wyoming road closure line and, sure enough, the roads were closed! I delivered my load ON TIME, and never heard another word about it!

This is why I'm dismayed at the number of posters who come on here wanting to get into trucking asking WHICH of these "mega carriers" they should go with. There are (or were) over 365,000 trucking companies in America! MANY of them actually treat you like a HUMAN!

The Bible says something about separating the wheat from the chaff. I'm not sure which I am... or which company is which.... but, I absolutely will NOT fall in line behind thousands of others and then wonder WHY I am treated like chattel!

My Dad keeps reminding me that my CDL is like a meal ticket. I believe he is right. My CDL put me IN the driver's seat... and I intend to STAY there!

It is not a CDL or a college education that puts people IN a job, or OUT of a job. It is the PLAN that one makes for their own lives, and the WAY that one goes looking FOR that job.

There are no stupid people here on CAD! Nearly every ONE of you has expressed how you did your research before getting into trucking. So... WHY do so many ask WHICH of these "loser" companies you should go to work for?

I just don't get it. I guess I'm lost. My post, therefore, must be irrelevant! I'm .....well...... I guess I'm...... um..... SPEECHLESS! :rofl:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
So... WHY do so many ask WHICH of these "loser" companies you should go to work for?
For the simple reason that many of them AREN'T "loser" companies. This is the second "McMega" OTR carrer I've driven for, and I'd hardly call either of them "loser" companies. From what I've heard, I do have a list of companies I'd stay away from, as well...but from experience...many times the problem is the DRIVER, not the COMPANY.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Red face

Hmmmmmm.

April 1988. I went in to work, fighting the flu. I was working extra, and was given 3 Shell deliveries to make. First one was easy. The Shell station located on Ravenna Ave. in North Seattle. Out of gas so the load would fit. Next load was to Renton. Again...easy and quick. The third delivery was easy enough as well. Full load of regular to the Shell station in Ellensburg WA.

I loaded up the truck with a full load of regular, had a cup of coffee with some of the real "Shell" drivers, then headed out to I-5. Instead of going north to hit I-90 east, without even thinking about it, I turned south on I-5 and beat feet....to Centralia WA !! Pulled into the Shell station, spotted to the regular tanks, unlocked the tanks and stuck for fit. The tanks were both full. Scratched my head..hacked out my lungs..cussed dispatch...kicked some rocks. Then I took my paperwork inside and asked the clerk to use the phone...Told her the tanks were already full, and the load wouldn't fit. Before calling dispatch, I asked to use the facilities.

When I came back from the restroom...the clerk asked me were I was supposed to be. She had the damnest look on her face. I said...Ellensburg...then it hit me like a sack of bricks. I should have been 100 miles east of the terminal...instead I was 90 miles south. :hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno:

Yeah..I paid for the fuel out of my own pocket. The Boss, his wife...and both dispatchers were rolling on the floor in the morning, when I told them why I was out so late. This was my second day solo. They paid me for the entire night..even though I told them they didn't need to. :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Sam the owner figured it was a good training night. I learned two things...READ the paperwork as often as possible. DO NOT go to work sick.:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:
Old 11-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post

Sam the owner figured it was a good training night. I learned two things...READ the paperwork as often as possible. DO NOT go to work sick.:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:
That's why the FMCSA has regs regarding driving while sick.:thumbsup: