User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default my future

im thinking about enlisting in the army for 4 yrs. to be a motor transport operator...here are the duties of a MTO...

* Reading load plans
* Checking oil, fuel and other fluid levels, as well as tire pressure
* Driving vehicles over all types of roads and terrain, traveling alone or in convoys in support of combat operations
* Keeping records of mileage driven and fuel and oil used
* Washing vehicles and perform routine maintenance and repairs

...when i get out i want to buy my own truck and become a O\O will this be a idea or will i need more experience?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Board Regular

Absolutely NOT!

I was active duty for 4 years, but not as an 88M. They are truck drivers, but with NO exposure to the commerical side of the industry. In comparison to a commercial driver, an Army 88M will have much less seat time. In addition, a military driver's license will NOT carry over to a CDL.

If you are honestly considering becoming an O/O, as most will tell you here, it's best to become a company driver for a few years to learn the BUSINESS. Most can be tought to drive a truck, however it takes lots more to run a business.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Other than shifting gears there is little comparison between driving a truck in the military and driving over the road in a commercial setting. As Tom noted, commercial carriers don't usually consider any military driving as experience. It is a much different environment. There is a lot to learn about the rules and regulations and how to run a truck over the road. If you want to own a truck you really need to get some practical experience, save some money and learn all you can about this business. While you are driving and earning money working for a carrier you can track your expenses including fuel, tires, etc., and see what it really costs to run a truck. It is much easier when someone else is writing the checks. You never want to get in a hurry. Take the time to learn and check prices on trucks. Taking your time can save thousands on a truck purchase. My advice would also be to stay away from any company sponsored lease purchase deal. There are very few who successfully complete these leases.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gula197 View Post
im thinking about enlisting in the army for 4 yrs. to be a motor transport operator...here are the duties of a MTO...

* Reading load plans
* Driving vehicles over all types of roads and terrain, traveling alone or in convoys in support of combat operations

...when i get out i want to buy my own truck and become a O\O will this be a idea or will i need more experience?
Check with us again in 4 years. IF you are still among the living, we'll tell you that you are crazy to buy your own truck with no experience.

I'm just kidding (sort of) it is a good BEGINNING to a plan. But, it needs more work and an infusion of reality.

But, I DO have to ask.... WHY would you risk your life in what is well known to be one of the most dangerous jobs in the military JUST to learn a little bit about a pre-trip inspection?

If you want to risk your life to serve the country, I understand and applaud you. But, if your "plan" is to drive a Commercial truck, why wait 4 years? You could PAY for your CDL training out of the money you WON'T make in the military!

Don't LISTEN to the recruiters!!! They are worse than the recruiters in the trucking industry! You want to serve 4 years and THEN get into trucking? Here's my advice: Take an MOS in computers or something that you can fall back on later, THEN get out and go into trucking. You'll be at the same level as every other noobie, but you'll have a backup plan if it doesn't work out, or the economy tanks AGAIN!

If you want to use the military as a precursor to a trade in trucking, go into diesel mechanics! But, if you have the intelligence to make a choice... go into aircraft mechanics! Boeing pays WAY more than a trucking company for a mechanic.

But, if you really want to DRIVE a big truck.... pay the money and do it NOW! Slots are dwindling! 4 years from now, they may be nonexistent. The economy might be worse, and the military will be downsized once again. Too much competition.

I hope you understand that I am trying to help. I am a Veteran, so I know of what I speak. I wish you the best.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Rookie

thanks for the honest replies guys ..i talked it over wit a few more guys and i decided not to go to the army just to learn how to drive trucks i think im just going to give trucking a try and if i dont like it or it dont work out THEN i will go to the army,but i will try to stick with it because i want my own truck bad! (or a ford f-650 lol) why do a lot of people dont make it in the trucking industry?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
thanks for the honest replies guys ..i talked it over wit a few more guys and i decided not to go to the army just to learn how to drive trucks i think im just going to give trucking a try and if i dont like it or it dont work out THEN i will go to the army,but i will try to stick with it because i want my own truck bad! (or a ford f-650 lol) why do a lot of people dont make it in the trucking industry?
Enter BigDiesel from stage left, and GMAN from stage right. BOTH will tell it to you straight! But, keep in mind that BOTH ARE "making it" in the industry as owner operators.

Glad to hear that you are rethinking your "plan." I didn't mean to say that it was a BAD one, but there ARE better ones.

You sound like you are young and ambitious. That is a good thing. I wish I had had some idea what I wanted to be "when I grew up" when I was your age. I just don't want to see anyone make the mistakes that I did.

I hope you stay with us, and keep us in the loop. The decisions will always be yours, but there is a LOAD of information and opinions here on CAD.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Rookie

is the loads really that bad for truckers nowadays?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

* Reading load plans

If I had to do it over I'd do the military thing for 20 to 30 years (or as long as they would let me stay)....go as far as I could with it.

Then retire. Collect the check.

Then I'd sign on as a dirty old man door greeter at Wal Mart...just to pass the time ya know .
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
is the loads really that bad for truckers nowadays?

The short answer is "yes." I am seeing rates half of what they were only a couple of months ago. One of my regular seasonal gigs has had much less freight this fall. His rates are pretty much what they were during the first quarter, but there have been much fewer loads than usual. In addition to a lot of brokers are coming in and cutting rates. Right now we have a couple of things going on in this industry. We always see a slowdown this time of year and rates always drop during winter months and rise in the spring. It is a normal business cycle for trucking, especially flat beds. The problem we have this year is a national depression. They are still calling it a recession, but I think it has gone well beyond a recession. Even recessions are normal business cycles.

Several industries, such as the automobile and steel industries are off. That thows more trucks into the mix to compete for other types of freight. The more competition the lower rates go. Couple this with lower fuel prices and rates suffer. I am seeing most rates around 1/2 of what we were able to get a couple of months ago. We actually made more money when fuel prices were over $4/gallon. When fuel dropped some who had parked their trucks are now back in the market competing for the same freight. There were over 20,000 carriers who either closed their doors or went bankrupt during the first 2 quarters of this year. One would think this would have taken enough capacity out of the market to keep prices higher. That has not happened. Both brokers and shippers are taking advantage of the slowdown by pushing prices down. During the last couple of weeks I have been offered rates for less than $1/mile. In my case, I won't take a load unless I can make a profit on it. There are too many others who will. And that is the problem. Brokers and shippers know that there will be someone who will take their cheap load so they keep the rate down until they have to move it and will raise the rate incrementally until someone takes it.

The economy will come back. Rates will rise. These are a couple of things we know. What we don't know is how low rates will go or how long before rates begin to rise. At this point we don't know where the bottom rates will settle or stop. This may not affect you as much as me and others who run our own authority. If you are an owner operator and run mileage it may not affect your income as much since you are already running at a cheap rate. It will affect your income with a lower fuel surcharge. You may also do more setting. Most owner operators and drivers are setting more right now. Again, some of the sitting is due to the time of year. But the economic slowdown is also contributing to less freight to haul.