User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default frustrated and confused

ok guys i started to go forward with being a trucker but i been hearing mixed opinions here are some questions for the experienced guys...
1. is it true that the first couple years i will only make about 25-30k no matter what the recruiters say?

2. Schneider is only hiring experienced drivers?

3. who has the best school for driving?

i talked to a Schneider recruiter a while back and she told me i will make about 50k because i will start in a tanker because i live close to the tanker station in baton rouge,Louisiana
Edit/Delete Message
Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Senior Board Member

yep .... #1 is true ..... could be a little more or could be a little less...... really depends on your company and the politcs you play with your dispatcher .... if they like you ... you may be better runs to make more money.

#2 ... I haven't heard that .... they've had a rather good training program for a few years .... it would be hard to unstand why they would get rid of it ...

#3 .... you'll get all kinds of answers on this one .... but for me .... I search for a long time and physically drove to the school and check out everything they told me on the phone about their program. .... I decided on Central Tech in Drumright, Oklahoma ... they take out of town students too and do alot of training for several of the big companys out there. ..................... If at all possible .... don't sign a contract with any Trucking company to pay for your schooling and you pay them back ...... to many times I've heard stories of where once you get on your own a few months .... the miles start to back down and your still stuck paying back that large bill to them ... even if your quite ... your still gonna pay.

hope this helped

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Board Member

more or less what 4 rose said, you can make more than 25k but the 1st yr is the hardest, your lerning everything.
A pumkin truck without a newbee in? NAH, if nothing else they do have good training and if you go to them WITH your cdl you won't have to sign a contract. I find it hard to believe 50k first yr cause your pulling a tank
good luck
Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Keep reading the boards and learn all you can. Find out about different types of trucking and how they pay. There is hourly, mileage and percentage pay. You can pay for school and get your own cdl or you can get company training. Generally speaking if you go with company training and just pull a dry van you will probably be looking at around 30-35k. To make more you would have to do something more demanding like tankers, flatbeds, etc. Some large carriers will put newbies on dedicated accounts for large retailers that require alot of manual unloading like Dollar General. These are hard work but pay more. You could luck out with a local company getting hourly at 16-18 per hour. There is alot of choices and some luck involved when it comes to the better jobs. If you just to pull a dry van and hold a steering wheel you wont make as much. I paid for my own school and started with a flatbed steel hauler on percentage and made 49k my first year. Keep reading and learn as much as you can. Investigate your local schools and find out what companies they can place you with. Find out what type of trucking interests you and what qualifications and experience level you will need. There are jobs out there that pay way more than 50k but you need experience and need to know where to look.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Board Member

According to info posted at pumpkindriver Schneider is discontinuing general training as of Nov 14 and will only be hiring newbies on an as needed basis and training them in Green Bay.

To be quite honest, this is probably not the best time to get into trucking. The economy is in the dumper so production is down and as a result so are shipments (freight). There have been several decent sized companies recently closed their doors creating a surplus of experienced drivers.

While companies are still hiring they really do not have the freight available to keep their entire fleets moving well week after week. So unless your local job market truly sucks the big one I would hold off getting into trucking until things turn around.

And yes, 50k is really on the high side for a first year driver. Before the economy took a dump 30-34k was more in line for a good first year. And before someone chimes in that 50 or close to it is not impossible, that is true, but those newbies who make that are few and far between.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Board Regular

I have to strongly disagree with many of the negative responses I've seen here.

First of all, on the topic of yearly earnings. It ALL depends on who you sign on with, the terms you're paid by, and how many miles you get. You CAN make over $40k your first year...but that involves both hard work and patience, but it can be done. One of the most important things a driver can do in their first year is to keep your record clean! If you avoid accidents and tickets, you will likely qualify for bonuses, incentives, and most importantly JOB SECURITY!

Secondly, I think this is a fine time to get into the business. Uturn is very correct, there are a large number of carriers who are struggling. BUT...in this environment, with carriers going out of business, there are less trucks on the road, and those of us who are doing well in this economy are GROWING. U.S. Xpress has been advertising growth, so has Crete, and my new employer Con-Way Truckload. I have no shortage of miles, and don't anticipate any in the future either.

The key here is to do your research, get in with a good company, and keep your record clean. Those of us who keep a clean record will ALWAYS have a job driving a truck...those who bang up trucks are finding it harder and harder to stay employed.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gula197 View Post
ok guys i started to go forward with being a trucker but i been hearing mixed opinions here are some questions for the experienced guys...
1. is it true that the first couple years i will only make about 25-30k no matter what the recruiters say?

2. Schneider is only hiring experienced drivers?

3. who has the best school for driving?

i talked to a Schneider recruiter a while back and she told me i will make about 50k because i will start in a tanker because i live close to the tanker station in baton rouge,Louisiana
Edit/Delete Message
Since your close to the Baton Rouge terminal, have you taken the time to drive in and talk with them?

If you sign on with Bulk at Schneider..expect to make $38,000-48,000 the first year or so. You'll be doing a lot of learning those first months.

Tanks is not for the weak of heart.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Rookie

how good of a company is swift to start out with
Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
how good of a company is swift to start out with

I personally, think Swift is as good as any mega company to work for starting out.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Nah. I made 57K my 1st full year, which was '06.
But the big national carriers don't pay that much - they don't have to. And the small, private company I'm with doesn't take newbies anymore.

Seems to me that some people are so all fired up about going OTR that they'll almost pay to do it. Reminds me a how some pilots are about their flying careers.

Most schools aren't really very good - they don't have time to teach all that much. You're not going to know much about driving when you finish, anyhow, so the best one is the cheapest, IMHO.

One rule I used that worked: If the company had a recruiter I stayed away from them