User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How does a student driver go about getting a new mentor???

I know, first things first, be professional. I wont have a problem doing that, but then again i dont want to come off like a momma's boy, and sound like i am cryin' cause i'm not getting my way.

My expectations are simply this: 1) I expect to get a shower once every 2-3 days. 2) i expect to get the chance to do my laundry once every 7-10 days. 3) i expect to be able to have a chance to get on wi-fi internet to communicate with friends and family. (should be able to do this when i get the shower anyways) Other than that, i dont expect much. I am not one of these students who is more concerned about my mentor being paid the miles i am driving. I understand i am the student, and it isnt as if i am NOT getting paid. I am receiving an income, but it is a student income....which i am. I can accept that.

What I cannot accept, is a mentor who doesn't really spend that much time training. He is more concerned with how often he is getting home, and keeping his truck rolling. I have been on the truck for 14 days, and 6 of them have been 'off duty'. i've spent 4 nights in the truck because he didnt want to drive out of his way to find a hotel with a room available (but yet he 'offered' to drive me home 2.5 hours away..to cover his @$$) I have driven 56 hours in those 8 days, and only have had the chance to back three times. one time, the spot was so tight (mostly because the idiots at the shipper had crap parked in the way) that he got fed up with me trying to dock it, that he got in and finished the job cause he was impatient. So just two docks. And to top it all off, he sent in a company advance request for a 'hotel 4 student', got it approved, but i never stayed in a hotel.

He came back to the truck after the 4th night, and said 'we'll be out for 3 weeks straight'. Knew it wouldn't happen, and i sat in a hotel for one night, and in a bunk room at the terminal the next. Then he gets upset with me because when i got off the truck friday night, it cost him a $1500 load to California. and he whined so much about it, it felt like he was wanting me to help cover the cost of it. During our last stop for a meal, i was short 35 cents, and he covered it. He got upset because i didn't give him a 'thank you', and he felt like i thought it was 'owed' to me for something. WELL YEAH ... I DID. Most mentors will take care of their student, not only to keep them happy and with the company, but a happy student is more apt to bust their butt (which i do anyways) and a happy student is more apt to learn when taught. I'm not being taught, so that is a problem there.

it is his truck, but i expect it to be run in a professional manner. not to make your student live in a pig pen. Not to mention he dont set a good example driving the truck on the interstate, talking on a cell phone AND with the qualcomm unit on the steering wheel.

Am i being too harsh on the mentor?? how would you experienced drivers go about looking for a new mentor in my shoes?? interested in anyones opinion.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: How does a student driver go about getting a new mentor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915
how would you experienced drivers go about looking for a new mentor in my shoes??
Now I'm just snowballing ideas here, but how about you take everything you just posted and actually ask the company you are working for?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:30 AM

Been in your EXACT same shoes.All my trainer initially wanted me too do is just run on the highways and when wed get to the customer hed dock it.I thought back on the money id paid to get my CDL and I wasnt about to let this scum bag try and take advantage of me. He would try to cop a tude when I wanted to shower and perform other hygiene such as brush my teeth and laundry. Long story short,got back home that week,called training and let them know I wasnt going back out with him.Got a new trainer,it worked out. My advise to you is stand up for yourslf and get in contact with your training dept asap and removing yourself from such a counter-productive situation.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Talking on the cell phone and typing on the qualcom at the same time? Sounds like a real multitasker to me.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Talking on the cell phone and typing on the qualcom at the same time? Sounds like a real multitasker to me.

what he dont know, is that i snapped a picture with my cell phone camera while he was doing it.

As far as 'taking what i just wrote and going to the company'...i kinda planned on it anyways, but wanted to be double sure my expectations wern't set so high, you know?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
As far as 'taking what i just wrote and going to the company'...i kinda planned on it anyways, but wanted to be double sure my expectations wern't set so high, you know?
Probably the only one you are going to get no sympathy from the company on is the whole "not actually training you" one. Most of the larger "starter" carriers know full well, and some I'm sure even encourage, their trainers to use the trainee as a second log book. Although, given the other items you listed, I would hope that the carrier would take pity on you and pull you from that truck. Sadly, though, they may be indifferent to the whole thing. Consider their response as an indication of how that company is to work for. After all, they made this guy a trainer. :wink:
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't companies ever say "If you have a problem with your mentor this is what you should do". Am I am going to gu.ess you are with Swift
Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I would agree on some of your points. This guy has been a trainer for so long he knows what he can and cannot get away with. He isnt using me as a 2nd log book. He asked me to log something i didnt drive once (an hour early in the morning) and i refused. He even told me "this is how you save hours off yhour 70". But he has been a trainer for so long, that he knows that if he requests a company advance for hotel for student, they wont ask for a receipt. So he can just pocket the money.

I highly doubt they know just how bad this guy is. But they will find out tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I would agree on some of your points. This guy has been a trainer for so long he knows what he can and cannot get away with. He isnt using me as a 2nd log book. He asked me to log something i didnt drive once (an hour early in the morning) and i refused. He even told me "this is how you save hours off yhour 70". But he has been a trainer for so long, that he knows that if he requests a company advance for hotel for student, they wont ask for a receipt. So he can just pocket the money.

I highly doubt they know just how bad this guy is. But they will find out tomorrow.
if you are with swift, get all the proof you can against him. they are actively seeking out and getting rid of piss-poor mentors. they simply need proof of the misdeeds rather than he said, she said stuff that doesn't stick whatsoever. too many students would rather not get involved. get involved and hopefully they toss his sorry ass to the curb. by the way, video is much better to have on him.

each time i've been back to the phoenix terminal, i've been seeing more mentors packing up their crap, cleaning out the truck, going elsewhere because they were wastes of breath, and should have never been made mentors in the first place.

as for the wi-fi thing, that may not always be possible to get access. i have an air card i use through sprint. i get broadband access almost everywhere now. however, there are those certain places where sprint doesn't even have coverage. it's usually in the boonies, up north in the great plains states, and certain wide open parts of montana.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I would think this a straight forward deal where you tell your employer you're needing a new trainer. :idea: