User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie Truck driving questions

How many hours per day do truckers drive? Do truck companies tell the driver how many miles they want him or her to drive in a day? Does the company tell drives what time they must start driving and what time they must stop driving?

Why did you become a trucker? Trucking seems like a good job for me because I will be fully covered financially, it is not very social and I can advance my career.

What truck company is the best company for a beginner to work for?

Do most truck companies' trucks offer the same amenities? Do their trucks have a bed. refridgerator, microwave, heater, air conditioner, etc?

Are newer trucks more comfortable to drive than older trucks? Suppose I am in Iowa and the outside temperature is -10 degrees farenheit. Will the sleeping area of the truck be cold? What if I am in Arizona and the outside temperature is 110 degrees farenheit. Will the sleeping area of the truck be warm?

In Camden, NJ, I work as a security officer. Three years ago, at 9pm, I was sitting in my guard shack and a trucker parked his 18wheeler truck alongside a curb. The truck was parked directly accross the street from my shack. I saw the trucker get out and check the tires. After that, I think he went to sleep. The building next to the truck has a barb wire, fenced in parking lot. The building has bars and fences on the windows too.... The trucker slept in the most dangerous city in the country. Do truck companies allow their truckers to sleep anywhere?

Are truck stops safe? Is truck stop food and a shower astronomically priced? How much food can a truck hold for one driver? Are truck stops good places to take a brisk one hour walk?

Suppose I am in the middle of delivering a load to business xyz. One of my family members dies and I must attend services. Will any truck company allow me to stop driving and see my family?

I want to be an regional, dedicated or over the road trucker for four to five years. After that, I want to get a local truck driving job. Do local truck driving jobs pay the samething as over the road truck driving jobs? I heard that I will need at least one year of truck driving experience to get a local truck driving job.

What is the best trucking school to enroll in? After I graduate from trucking school, I will become an OVR, right? Do I have to graduate from a particular trucking school to work for truck company xyz?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert26 View Post
How many hours per day do truckers drive?
11 hours on, 10 hours off.

Quote:
Do truck companies tell the driver how many miles they want him or her to drive in a day?

Quote:
Does the company tell drives what time they must start driving and what time they must stop driving?

Quote:
What truck company is the best company for a beginner to work for?
That is a loaded question, which is impossible to answer by anyone but yourself.

Quote:
Do most truck companies' trucks offer the same amenities? Do their trucks have a bed. refridgerator, microwave, heater, air conditioner, etc?
Unless you are running a daycab, you will have a bed, heating and air conditioning. Beyond that, options vary. Most carriers' trucks do not have refrigerators or microwaves.

Quote:
Are newer trucks more comfortable to drive than older trucks?
For the most part, yes.

Quote:
Suppose I am in Iowa and the outside temperature is -10 degrees farenheit. Will the sleeping area of the truck be cold? What if I am in Arizona and the outside temperature is 110 degrees farenheit. Will the sleeping area of the truck be warm?
Yes. That is what heat and air conditioning is for. Hopefully the company you choose will let you idle, or will have some sort of APU to take care of that.

Quote:
Do truck companies allow their truckers to sleep anywhere?
No. You can only sleep somewhere that it is legal for you park, or you risk getting fined or towed.

Quote:
Are truck stops safe?
Depends upon the truck stop.

Quote:
Is truck stop food and a shower astronomically priced?
Yes. Expect to pay anywhere from 20%-50% higher for most legitimate food.

Quote:
How much food can a truck hold for one driver?
As much as you want to carry.

Quote:
Are truck stops good places to take a brisk one hour walk?
If you like the smell of pee, then yes.

Quote:
Suppose I am in the middle of delivering a load to business xyz. One of my family members dies and I must attend services. Will any truck company allow me to stop driving and see my family?
Yes, some companies will allow you to get home for family emergencies. Most will make you pay to get yourself home, unless they can dispatch a load getting you there.

Quote:
I want to be an regional, dedicated or over the road trucker for four to five years. After that, I want to get a local truck driving job. Do local truck driving jobs pay the samething as over the road truck driving jobs?
No. It really depends upon what you are doing.

Quote:
I heard that I will need at least one year of truck driving experience to get a local truck driving job.
In today's market, you will likely need more.

Quote:
What is the best trucking school to enroll in?
One that is run by a technical college.

Quote:
After I graduate from trucking school, I will become an OVR, right? Do I have to graduate from a particular trucking school to work for truck company xyz?
OTR, not OVR.

The trucking company you choose will be able to answer that question for you.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
BANNED
Rookie

some companies (for example Swift) have on the job training. they will help you get your CDL and provide you with training. i believe they pay 35K to people who go that route.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Default Drivers...

You are "ruled" by the DOT and the log book. Learn to manage your time/log book well or the DOT will get you.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

What is the best trucking school to enroll in? Community College, normally least expensive. Some private/commercial schools call themselves "technical college". After I graduate from trucking school, I will become an OTR, right? Not necessarily if you want to deliver beer or soda. Do I have to graduate from a particular trucking school to work for truck company xyz? Some companies want driving school grads to be from PTDI certified schools. One of my family members dies and I must attend services. Will any truck company allow me to stop driving and see my family? The company you drive for will not see it as a "must attend" on your part. The only slack may be if it's immediate family, mom, dad, brother or sister. The family better allow plenty of time for you to get there for services. BOL

Last edited by Sealord; 11-03-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 AM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats View Post
You are "ruled" by the DOT and the log book. Learn to manage your time/log book well or the DOT will get you.

i think what he means to say is the DOT regulates your hours "by law" - technically you are not supposed to drive a class A vehicle more than 60 hours per week and i believe there is a daily hour limit also (maybe no more than 12 hours in one day?).

also, if you do not have a few thousand to spend on a training school. i would consider the community college route. you can prob get grants / student loans to do it. good luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldytwig View Post
i think what he means to say is the DOT regulates your hours "by law" - technically you are not supposed to drive a class A vehicle more than 60 hours per week and i believe there is a daily hour limit also (maybe no more than 12 hours in one day?).
Ummmm....no.

You can be on duty 70 hours in an 8 day period for a carrier that runs 7 days a week before you can't drive anymore, and there is absolutely no regulation that limits the amount of hours you can drive per day.

You aren't a truck driver, are you?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldytwig View Post

also, if you do not have a few thousand to spend on a training school. i would consider the community college route. you can prob get grants / student loans to do it. good luck.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The blind leading the blind.....
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Ummmm....no.

You can be on duty 70 hours in an 8 day period for a carrier that runs 7 days a week before you can't drive anymore, and there is absolutely no regulation that limits the amount of hours you can drive per day.

You aren't a truck driver, are you?
you can't drive more than 14.45 hours in a day. day starts at 12 midnight with you driving. drive until 11 am (11 hours) log post trip (15 min). break from 11:15 till 9:15 leaves you 3 hours 45 min to drive.( assuming you don't leave the sleeper and go to rest room) :wink: that's 14.45 hours in one day. I could be wrong but I think that's pretty much the limit.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud? View Post
you can't drive more than 14.45 hours in a day. day starts at 12 midnight with you driving. drive until 11 am (11 hours) log post trip (15 min). break from 11:15 till 9:15 leaves you 3 hours 45 min to drive.( assuming you don't leave the sleeper and go to rest room) :wink: that's 14.45 hours in one day. I could be wrong but I think that's pretty much the limit.
You would be wrong. Not only is your math incorrect, but you forgot the required pretrip inspection prior to operating the CMV. Assuming you logged your pretrip and posttrip as 15 minutes each, and didn't have to fuel, you can legally log 13 1/2 hours per day driving.

But my statement still stands - there is no FMCSA regulation that states you can only drive a certain number of hours per day.