User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree that it is the driver's responsibility to decide when it is safe and when it is time to shut it down due to weather. Some years ago, I was in some sleet and snow in Kentucky. I kept going until the wind started to blow my trailer back and forth on the ice. I came off the road and called dispatch. They weren't happy and told me that according to the weather on TV I should not have any problems. I told them that they weren't where I was and that until the plows and salt trucks cleared the road that I was going to sit. That is exactly what I did. I always leave it up to my drivers as to when to go and when to sit. It is foolish for any carrier to push drivers to run when the driver feels that it isn't safe to do so. I have driven in 50 mph winds and it requires you to be very cautious. A 50 mph wind can turn a truck over. Once it starts to roll there is usually little you can do. Keep in mind that it is the driver who will be held responsible for any accident, weather related or not. It is always better to get to your destination late than not arrive at all.