User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow, I have never had anyone giving me a DOT physical ask for my latest A1c test.....never. Now Crete wanted one annually, but they were the only company that asked for it.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Some examiners want to see your latest A1C, others don't. Some will only want to see it if you have some sugar in your urine to see how your overall control is.

I have also had DOT physicals where they did an Accu-check even though I wasn't spilling. Had another one one time that wanted to see my blood sugar log.

The bottom line is if you have any kind of medical complications, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, taking regular medications, etc then you need to be fully prepared at each DOT physical by bringing with you recent lab results, personal medical logs, letter(s) from your physicians, etc as needed for your condition(s) to show to the ME upon request.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 AM

From what I have heard and this is just from hearsay, anyone please correct me or give your input please, but I have heard that if you test over a 130 in blood sugar at any DOT physical you will not be hired by that company, but again, I have only heard this from a retired Instructor of a training school.

I can tell you as a Type 2 diabetic myself my current A1C is a 6.1, the doctor says people with a good A1C will be between 5.0 and 7.0, anything over 7.0 is serious issues.

My blood sugar runs 110 to 150 depending on what I have eaten that week, it can vary but my blood sugar has never been over 219 in the 5+ years I have had diabetes and my current 6.1 A1C is the highest its ever been.

Basically from what I have heard is that if I test for a new company with a 150 blood sugar I will be denied for employment, not sure how true this is but I don't see any certain blood sugar level rating on DOT Regs either. So it must be a company policy.

I am diet and med controlled, I take 2 Metformin a day and watch what I eat most of the time lol.
Romans 3:23
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Years ago a fasting blood sugar reading of under 130 was considered normal. The ADA has since changed that to 80-120 with a consistent fasting sugar level over that to be cause to keep an eye on it. It is the A1C test however that is used in actual diagnosis and long term monitoring.

Last I knew the urine dip test they do at a physical has a cut off where a person had to have had a blood sugar over 150 for a long enough period of time for it to end up showing in their urine. Pretty much it will take it staying high for most of a day for it to show in the urine.

Anyway this is something that companies usually do not get involved with and leave up to the examining doctor to determine if the driver should be granted medical clearance and if so for how long under FMCSA regulations.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Why didn't you ask the Dr. that question instead of posting on the internet?

Oh yeah, that is just exactly the sort of attitude that he came here for. :bigthumbsdown:

Sorry 'bout that Garloo, I hope that the other posters were able to provide some relevant information that helped you. Preferably posters that are currently engaged/employed as operators of Class A designated Motor Vehicles............or possess the necessary previous experience to provide helpful, not irrelevant and deprecating style guidance or opinions. Out with the poser riff-raff!

Last edited by belpre122; 11-14-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh silly me, telling someone to discuss a medical issue with a Dr., when I should have realized the the truckstop doctors would have better information. I guess they're right down the hall from the truckstop lawyers and accross from the truckstop accountants. What was I thinking.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Oh silly me, telling someone to discuss a medical issue with a Dr., when I should have realized the the truckstop doctors would have better information. I guess they're right down the hall from the truckstop lawyers and accross from the truckstop accountants. What was I thinking.
You weren't. You were deflecting and dodging as usual. A sad way to meander through life, for sure.

The truth shall set you free................

Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The feds continue to change what is acceptable with both blood sugar and blood pressure levels. Proper nutrition and some exercise can work wonders with both.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I usually have my first meal of the day consisting of 75 grams carbs (300 cal) 60 grams protein (240 cal) with about 5 grams fat (45cal)...then about 1hr later I drink a creatine shake containing about 40 grams simple sugars ...When driving OTR I ate this same way everyday incuding the day of my DOT exam ,but I had a caffeine addiction then ,so I usually had about 1.5 -2 -22oz roughly (120-160 grams of sugar and 480-640 calories) DR Peppers b4 the test ...What Im saying is that if you're failing the test for eating a bowl of corn flakes you better watch yourself b/c you are failing for a reason.