User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

After reading the story, I don't see where this was anything more than carelessness. If you read it again, your going to see this line;
Quote:
Before crashing into the McDonald's, officials say the 18-wheeler, which was loaded with huge concrete pipes, was parked at a gas station next door.
Does it say that the truck was being driven? No..It say's the truck was PARKED. How does a parked truck roll? A parked truck rolls because of driver error.

The bet would be pretty good, that Mr. Vasquez, whipped into that there gas station, to get himself a cup of coffee and maybe use the restroom, and instead of setting the brakes..he foolishly pulled down the "Johnny Bar" and got out of the truck. I bet he was standing in line at the counter inside the station when the truck rolled away.

Back in 1991 we had something similar happen at an Arco store in Everett WA. The Arco driver pulled onto the lot, which to this day still has a slooped lot, and because there was a young lady sitting by the fills, talking on the payphone (pre-cell days then), "DC" the Arco driver, stopped at the top of the grade, and went inside the store to have coffee and flirt with the clerk.

Now..."DC" maintained that he set the brakes and that the truck slid on ice (it was mid january), but security tapes showed the truck wheels all rolling as the truck went past the front doors of the store. He also lied and said he was still inside the truck...when security video showed him, inside at the coffee counter, holding a cup of coffee when the truck started rolling.

The truck & trailer hit the girl's car, sending it spinning across the cross street on that side of the store, knocked down all 5 of the protective posts set at the payphones, knocked down the 4 payphones that were at that location, then knocked down a power pole, there by knocking power out to some 53,000 Puget Power customers. Luckily for "DC" the girl saw the truck rolling towards her. She dropped the phone and ran, avoiding some major pain..but she still sued Arco and "DC".

The best thing about the entire deal was the time...01:00 AM, instead of 13:00 PM. The girl on the payphone, a guy whom pulled onto the fuel island as the truck started rolling, "DC" and the clerk were the only people in the area. The bad thing....that truck contained 12,600 gallons of gas. "DC" had loaded to it the gills because of the weather.

The entire article.

The Houston Chronicle;
Quote:
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas — Officials say two people suffered minor injuries when a tractor-trailer crashed into the side of a Grand Prairie McDonald's on Tuesday.

Officials say that the two were McDonald's employees. One was taken to the hospital.

"I just took off running and started screaming and told people 'go, run, drop down,'" eyewitness Edward Tauguma told Dallas-Fort Worth television station KDFW. "All you could hear was a crash and screams. It was bad."

Half of the tractor-trailer's cab could be seen buried into the restaurant. Before crashing into the McDonald's, officials say the 18-wheeler, which was loaded with huge concrete pipes, was parked at a gas station next door.

Authorities say the driver, 43-year-old Adrian Vasquez, of Arlington, said he had applied the emergency brake. A commercial vehicle inspector determined he did not, Grand Prairie police Sgt. Eric Hansen told The Dallas Morning News in its online edition Tuesday.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
After reading the story, I don't see where this was anything more than carelessness.
According to GMAN. This has 'all-to-do,' or 'more to do' with the driver being of "other-than-Caucasian" descent. Check the thread Stan. I wonder how many 'other than Caucasian' drivers that GMAN employs?

What the hell is a "Caucasian" anyways ? :wink:

Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
After reading the story, I don't see where this was anything more than carelessness.
According to GMAN. This has 'all-to-do,' or 'more to do' with the driver being of "other-than-Caucasian" descent. Check the thread Stan. I wonder how many 'other than Caucasian' drivers that GMAN employs?

What the hell is a "Caucasian" anyways ? :wink:
Ummmmmmmmm......YOU!!!! :P :P :P :P :P
Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member

belpre....I dont see anything "racist" about GMANs comment. Everything seems to be fact. He has an Hispanic name, lives in a largely Hispanic region. I also think the driver is Hispanic. Cant dispute that.
Only thing you can dispute is whether he is a local driver or OTR, and it is an assumption (based on Logic) that he is local.

But, good job is pointing out a drivers error...hopefully you have educated other drivers in the proper way to park a truck before exiting the truck. Possibly preventing a repeat event. :wink:
(Edit....My Bad, you didnt OP the thread)
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Board Regular

My whole point in posting this was the joke in the reader comments . . laughed my ass off.

Lightin' Up! All a yiz!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
belpre....I dont see anything "racist" about GMANs comment. Everything seems to be fact. He has an Hispanic name, lives in a largely Hispanic region. I also think the driver is Hispanic.
Thanks for accentuating my point Drew! (!)

I knew that I could count on you!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 AM

I was through this area today and heard about it on the radio.

The driver was in fact a hispanic, as reported by several reporters, the police, and witnesses.

What's your problem with that, belpre?

I doesn't matter if he was local or OTR, the idiot forgot to set his parking brake. It also doesn't matter what his ethnic background is or isn't, he's a driver who screwed up and caused an accident.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
What's your problem with that, belpre?

I doesn't matter if he was local or OTR, the idiot forgot to set his parking brake. It also doesn't matter what his ethnic background is or isn't, he's a driver who screwed up and caused an accident.
Thank you for the second nod SilverWulf. Now, next time, at least take the time to read the entire thread before a futile attempt at blustering.

Cheers! ! ! !

Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Thanks for accentuating my point Drew! (!)

I knew that I could count on you!
And???....What is your point???? :?