User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New to the forum, hello! :)

I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 24 and getting into trucking.

I have a recruiter coming to see me Wednesday (had one see me last year but I wasn't ready. My sister was hit by a 90mph car waiting for AAA long story short she is getting back to normal after 4 months in a coma and 6 months of rehab so far).

I'm basically ready for school at NETTTS and found this forum this morning and had my eyes set on Swift because they have Volvo's but after reading the forum I am going to start looking around for other companies. I am located here in tiny Rhode Island. My parents don't really approve because I have a degree in law enforcement.

I have always loved trucks, and finally got into researching it after watching iceroad truckers in the hospital when my sister was hurt.

Anyone have any pointers on which trucking companies to research. I am looking for whatever, long haul maybe even a US/Canadian route. Or even something in the North East.

Thanks for reading, God bless.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Do whatever makes your happy, your parents or anyone can be against it but it's about what you want and makes you happy. Also it's a good thing to have those degress incase something was to happen when your on the road or you have a health issue that will end your trucking career early. I'm sorry to hear about your sister! I wish you the best of luck and remember your attitude makes a big difference in this industry as well as any industry!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Welcome to the family. I am glad that your sister is getting better. If you love law enforcement and love trucks, maybe you need to work for the DOT so that way you can let all of your buddies go free when we are over weight or have a log vilations. :wink:
Do what you want to do, you are old enough to make this decision. I wish you the BOL.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Jeez...welcome.

sjbdeebo2 wrote:

Quote:
I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 24 and getting into trucking.

I'm basically ready for school at NETTTS and found this forum this morning and had my eyes set on Swift because they have Volvo's but after reading the forum I am going to start looking around for other companies. I am located here in tiny Rhode Island. My parents don't really approve because I have a degree in law enforcement.
There is a mountain for you to climb!!.

Your still a kid...so there are a ton of opportunities out there for you. If actual law enforcement isn't what you want to do, learning a bit about the trucking industry could be a good thing..or not.
With your degree there are plenty of companies which would welcome you into their security offices.....not as one of the "rent-a-cops" that man the gates, but as "Corporate Security". Every one that I have knowledge of (and there are a couple) have a very competent "CS" staff. Dupont and Dow would be two of many, which would take an earnest interest...If you had trucking Industry knowledge..

Just something you might explain to the Folks...see how they feel about that!

Quote:
I have a recruiter coming to see me Wednesday (had one see me last year but I wasn't ready. My sister was hit by a 90mph car waiting for AAA long story short she is getting back to normal after 4 months in a coma and 6 months of rehab so far).

Glad to see that you stood by her.....and that she is healing! Good for her......"ATTA Boy" for you.
One example of why bad drivers anywhere are a crying shame.

Quote:
I have always loved trucks, and finally got into researching it after watching iceroad truckers in the hospital when my sister was hurt.
It's great that you have always had an interest in TRUCKS. However....do not...I repeat DO NOT.... take Huge, Drew and Rick to be excellent examples of "Truck Drivers".

For the most part, they are prime examples of what is wrong in the industry. The majority of us do not act like any of them.....(though I do like Alex...he is a much more realistic example of an every-day driver).

If you have mechanical questions, there are more than a few people here whom can answer them, competently. Allan50h, over in western Canuckland would be one of them. ManicMechanic, right there in your area, would be another..and there are plenty more, just as good...and maybe better.

You want to know about "Log Books" and the reg's..you will get straight answers from our resident antagonist, "Rev Vassago". He can be a major pain...but he is right up there on the newest regulations, as they pertain to drivers. His newest nemisis..Golfhobo, can steer you straight as well.

If you want to ask business questions...Your going to want to ask, among others, "G-Man". Mike is an "Old Codger", whom has been in the industry almost as long as God...only he actually runs trucks...pulling flatbeds.. Big-Diesel..he runs Refers..and is "profitable" by his own account. He is a sarcastic Mutt...but will give it to you with a smile..and square.

If you want the opinion of a relative "Newbie', from the business prospective, then you chat it up with Steve Booth. He has his own authority, and has made it past his second year...so isn't totally dumb.

Mike3 has a ton of great information..as does DD60, "Banditscuz"..and others on the "Owner Operator" side.

If you want the view point of "Newbies" there are plenty here. they run the table from Dry Van and Flatbed, to Tanker-yankers. Some are even now geting their feet wet.

Ummmmm.......If you want to know about Fire-trucks...hit up Kurbski...that is his baliwick.

Welcome...now be quiet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :wink: :wink:
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Jeez...welcome.

Glad to see that you stood by her.....and that she is healing! Good for her......"ATTA Boy" for you.
One example of why bad drivers anywhere are a crying shame.
My sister was hit by a drunk driver speeding home that lost control and flipped into the grass. My sister got a flat tire and was waiting in the grass as she was hit minutes later unfortunatly. Now that she is healing you would think the woman would have sympathy but she is cold as ice. She made terrible remarks "like she shouldn't have been in my way." umm yea I didn't know the grass was part of your route. She is locked up in jail for violating her probation and not going to drug/alcohol treatment/testing

Quote:
It's great that you have always had an interest in TRUCKS. However....do not...I repeat DO NOT.... take Huge, Drew and Rick to be excellent examples of "Truck Drivers".

For the most part, they are prime examples of what is wrong in the industry. The majority of us do not act like any of them.....(though I do like Alex...he is a much more realistic example of an every-day driver).
I'll make sure I don't act like them. They do seem to act like a bunch of turkey's. I like Alex mainly because he was Polish, and he seemed really nice.

Quote:
Welcome...now be quiet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :wink: :wink:
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to the forum, sjbdeebo2. You will find this business has a very diverse group. I have met high school graduates and those with a MBA, MA or PhD. Restaurant workers, businessmen, engineers and lawyers. I am glad that you have gotten your degree. It can be a definite asset for you. As Stan mentioned, there are a lot of things you can do with that degree. Defense contractors, private security are a couple of areas where you could use your degree. Most will ask that you have some law enforcement training and experience. In any case, it is a good way to give yourself some insurance should you decide this business isn't your cup of tea.

I would check out companies before paying for school. If you are looking for a carrier who will train you, there are several around. Swift is one of the largest. You will need to commit to working for them for a fixed time period, usually 1 year. I would check carriers to see who may be able to get you home as you need. There may be some regional carriers in your area that might work for you. Schneider, Roehl, Millis, Swift are some of the ones usually discussed on the board. If you want to pay for your own training you will not have to worry about a time commitment from a carrier. Once you have your CDL you will have more options than if you want to work for a carrier who will take you from nothing to getting your CDL and into a truck. Check the Company Listings at the top of this page. Most of the larger carriers are listed along with their requirements. There are other carriers who are not listed. There are not that many carriers who are willing to train new applicants. Once you get a year or two behind the wheel you can pretty much go where you want as long as you don't job hop and keep your MVR clean. Being able to go into Canada can be an asset with some carriers.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

sjbdeebo2,

I also have a degree in Criminal Justice as well as Political Science. I, like you have always liked trucks. I like my job as well as I think I'd like any other job out there. You do what you gotta do in a day's work and you're done.

You need to do your due dilligence and make a sound decision. There are many factors to think about. For instance, do you want to drive OTR or locally? Do you have a girlfriend? If so, would she like the idea of you being gone for at least a week at a time? Do you have kids? I didn't think it would affect me that much but it did. I trained with Baylor Trucking for 2 months and called it quits for a local gig.

There are many good sources of information on this forum for local driving. Mackman drives dump trucks. Lebron James is a P&D driver for a union LTL outfit. Double R is a foodservice monkey. Belpre122 hauls fuel tankers. Snowman7 and Ibamars run linehaul for UPS Freight.

Be deliberate in your decision making and you will come to a good choice.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Board Regular

Just wanted to say welcome to the club. This site can be a very good source of info on about every aspect of trucking. You will get some very straight answers, good and bad, from most everyone on here.

I, too, started driving young (20) and my mom hated the idea of me driving trucks when I first started. Now about 8 years later, she realizes that I like it and am safe doing it and she has calmed down about it. But that doesn't mean she doesn't nudge, poke, and prod me to go back to school quite a bit.

The way I look at it is you have to enjoy what you are doing or you are going to be miserable all the time.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys! I don't have a g/f or kids, only family right now that I still live with.
The reason I wanted to go to NETTTS and not have to rely on a company to get me through training is because I don't want to be tied down to a company. There may be a company I find 2-3 months into training that I find perfect for me or maybe not. I am a little bit of a loaner, but still like to go out with friends once in a while.
Working a short route for UPS or Fedex would be nice but I also wouldn't mind doing a long haul to get started in the business I mostly want to drive a Volvo because I really like the interior's. But others would be nice too just a long as they aren't incredibly loud like some Peterbuilts out there, lol.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some carriers will reimburse you for your schooling. They usually do so weekly or monthly as long as you are with them.