User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I drove for a carpet finishing company about 30+ years ago when I first started driving. I picked up and delivered every day, all day long. I usually worked 60-70 hours per week. I have also done LTL running my own authority.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I drove for a carpet finishing company about 30+ years ago when I first started driving. I picked up and delivered every day, all day long. I usually worked 60-70 hours per week. I have also done LTL running my own authority.
Apples and oranges.

I asked you what LTL carrier you drove for. The answer is none.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I never said that I worked for an LTL carrier. I said that I did LTL. Just as there are different types of carriers there are also different types of LTL freight. :roll:

Now, go find your mother and ask her to slap you hard 10 times. Repeat as needed. :P
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I never said that I worked for an LTL carrier. I said that I did LTL. Just as there are different types of carriers there are also different types of LTL freight. :roll:
You may have "done" LTL, but it's far different than working for an LTL carrier. It's like when I used to pull a reefer around doing multi-stop picks and drops...I would never be a fool and say I did foodservice delivery like Double R because it's totally different.

Apples and oranges.

When you did LTL, did you work the dock with a towmotor? And if so average over 8 bills per hour? Did you cube out pups with decking and dunnage? Did you break and hook sets? Strip trailers? Did you deliver over 20 stops in less than 9 hours? Liftgate deliveries, inside deliveries, residentials, above ground floor deliveries, sort and segregate?

Nope.

I'm done with this one. It's fun arguing with you because you've been proven wrong time and time again...the overtime thread was a good one. But it's getting tiresome now so have a nice day!

And keep that off-ramp clean tonight!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
You may have "done" LTL, but it's far different than working for an LTL carrier. It's like when I used to pull a reefer around doing multi-stop picks and drops...I would never be a fool and say I did foodservice delivery like Double R because it's totally different.
I am not a fool. You really have problem with calling people names. You still seem to have a problem connecting the dots.

Quote:
When you did LTL, did you work the dock with a towmotor?
Actually, I used a Hyster. I always loaded my own truck when I left the plant. It isn't difficult. I always enjoyed loading my own truck. Sometimes I would even unload my truck at my stops. In recent years I haven't had to touch most freight. You know how protective those union guys are of their fork lifts. :roll: I can still drive one. Occasionally, I get to drive one of the big fork lifts. Sometimes an excavator or bulldozer.

Quote:
And if so average over 8 bills per hour?
I don't remember anyone making $8 hundred dollars an hour 35 years ago. :roll:

Quote:
Did you cube out pups with decking and dunnage? Did you break and hook sets? Strip trailers? Did you deliver over 20 stops in less than 9 hours? Liftgate deliveries, inside deliveries, residentials, above ground floor deliveries, sort and segregate?
It is hard to remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. I have no idea how many stops I made 35 years ago. We dealt with businesses not residences. UPS, FedEx and many of the other similar companies you consider household names didn't even exist back then, as far as I know. Parcels and packages were mostly delivered by the U.S. Postal Service. :wink:

Quote:
I'm done with this one.
FINALLY!! We will count on you to keeping your word. :lol:
Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I don't remember anyone making $8 hundred dollars an hour 35 years ago.
Give it up GMAN. Every time you try and talk about LTL you prove how much you dont know. Everything is about bill counts and weight. A bill is a shipment, it could be 1 skid or 200 tires or anything in between. Bills per hour and bills per stop are tracked by management. An average sized terminal probably picks up, sorts, and reloads on outbound trailers around 5-600 bills a day. And also delivers about the same each day from inbound trailers. A busy dock is like bumper cars at the amusement park. There are no slackers and some people are even afraid to go out on the dock cause forklifts are flying around everywhere. LTL is a fast paced operation and dock workers and city drivers are under alot of pressure. Thats why I'm a road driver, I'm too lazy to work the city! LOL! You may know alot about trucking but you sound like a spin doctor trying to talk about LTL. You saying you know LTL is like me saying I'm OTR because I use a highway to get there.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Give it up GMAN. Every time you try and talk about LTL you prove how much you dont know. Everything is about bill counts and weight. A bill is a shipment, it could be 1 skid or 200 tires or anything in between. Bills per hour and bills per stop are tracked by management. An average sized terminal probably picks up, sorts, and reloads on outbound trailers around 5-600 bills a day. And also delivers about the same each day from inbound trailers. A busy dock is like bumper cars at the amusement park. There are no slackers and some people are even afraid to go out on the dock cause forklifts are flying around everywhere. LTL is a fast paced operation and dock workers and city drivers are under alot of pressure. Thats why I'm a road driver, I'm too lazy to work the city! LOL! You may know alot about trucking but you sound like a spin doctor trying to talk about LTL. You saying you know LTL is like me saying I'm OTR because I use a highway to get there.
CAD watches as GMAN is shot down in a huge ball of flames.

What a perfect ending to a thread. Snowman rules!!

Back to Carney's Point for GMAN!! Lifestyle trucker.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can do LTL locally or across the country. Just as there are different types of trucks and different types of truck load carriers, there are different types of LTL operations. I have not done the cross dock shipping that you see at the LTL types of operations. I have done LTL across the country. Both are LTL but are a little different. I never said that I knew everything about LTL, but I do have some knowledge about how LTL works since I have done it. I never said that I worked the docks of an LTL operation. I am a truck driver not a dock worker. When I first started driving we loaded and unloaded our own trucks and made a lot of stops. We picked up at different shippers and delivered to different shippers. I would not want to pick up hundreds of packages, nor would I want to work for what you term an LTL carrier. Much of what some of these carriers do is what the Post Office did at one time. I consider an operation such as UPS much different than what I would do when I do LTL. A carrier such as UPS may have hundreds of packages on a truck and call that LTL. When I do LTL I would usually have anywhere from 3 to perhaps 5 partial shipments on the truck at a given time when I do these types of loads. I may be constantly picking up and dropping off pieces as I cross the country. I could pick up several pieces from different shippers and receivers in the same city or different cities. I could have only 2 different shipments from 2 different shippers. Any time you pick up less than a truck load that is LTL (Less than Truck Load, some newer people like to call it Less than Trailer Load). Both are LTL. You can haul LTL without being classified as an LTL carrier. I have pulled loads for the Post Office. I hauled packages from the USPS. I picked up at a single location and delivered at a single location. That was not an LTL shipment for me. LTL doesn't necessarily have to be done locally to be considered LTL. You don't seem to understand the difference. I am curious what you would call a carrier who would put 2 or more partials from different shippers on the same truck that drop at different receivers? Frankly, I don't know why you want to make such a big deal about it.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You can do LTL locally or across the country. Just as there are different types of trucks and different types of truck load carriers, there are different types of LTL operations. I have not done the cross dock shipping that you see at the LTL types of operations. I have done LTL across the country. Both are LTL but are a little different. I never said that I knew everything about LTL, but I do have some knowledge about how LTL works since I have done it. I never said that I worked the docks of an LTL operation. I am a truck driver not a dock worker. When I first started driving we loaded and unloaded our own trucks and made a lot of stops. We picked up at different shippers and delivered to different shippers. I would not want to pick up hundreds of packages, nor would I want to work for what you term an LTL carrier. Much of what some of these carriers do is what the Post Office did at one time.

The majority of our freight is palletized and heavy. I doubt the post office ever moved it.

I consider an operation such as UPS much different than what I would do when I do LTL. A carrier such as UPS may have hundreds of packages on a truck and call that LTL.

No they call that parcel. Like United Parcel Service or Fedex Ground is parcel. I'm talking about UPS Freight, Fedex Freight, Yellow Freight, Conway Freight, Roadway etc, and thats LTL freight.

When I do LTL I would usually have anywhere from 3 to perhaps 5 partial shipments on the truck at a given time when I do these types of loads.

We have 70 trucks in the city (Akron/Cleve) on any given day with 5-20 bills per truck.

I may be constantly picking up and dropping off pieces as I cross the country. I could pick up several pieces from different shippers and receivers in the same city or different cities. I could have only 2 different shipments from 2 different shippers. Any time you pick up less than a truck load that is LTL (Less than Truck Load, some newer people like to call it Less than Trailer Load). Both are LTL.

Agreed, you can call it LTL on a small scale.

You can haul LTL without being classified as an LTL carrier. I have pulled loads for the Post Office. I hauled packages from the USPS. I picked up at a single location and delivered at a single location. That was not an LTL shipment for me. LTL doesn't necessarily have to be done locally to be considered LTL. You don't seem to understand the difference.

Yes I do. Do you?

I am curious what you would call a carrier who would put 2 or more partials from different shippers on the same truck that drop at different receivers?

In the broadest sense of the word yes its LTL but its more like multi stop, irregular route, OTR.

Frankly, I don't know why you want to make such a big deal about it.

Because we work in LTL and you dont yet you still keep trying to tell us how our industry works. Like saying that we need OTR carriers to do our job, which we dont. That would be like me telling you how to move heavy equipment on a lowboy. I have an idea but never did it. Again you saying you do LTL is like me saying I'm an OTR driver because I run the road and might sleep in a hotel once in a while. Your so stubborn you cant let us talk about our industry without pretending to know everything about it and trying to knock it down.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Because we work in LTL and you dont yet you still keep trying to tell us how our industry works. Like saying that we need OTR carriers to do our job, which we dont. That would be like me telling you how to move heavy equipment on a lowboy. I have an idea but never did it. Again you saying you do LTL is like me saying I'm an OTR driver because I run the road and might sleep in a hotel once in a while. Your so stubborn you cant let us talk about our industry without pretending to know everything about it and trying to knock it down.
It's no use Snowman, you'll never get him to admit he's wrong. After all, he drove a Hyster around so he knows how to strip breakers and cube pups!! :lol: :lol:

This was most hilarious of all in regards to BPH:

Quote:
I don't remember anyone making $8 hundred dollars an hour 35 years ago.
LOL! Classic quote...I'll have to add it to my signature line!!! :lol: :roll:

That about says it all right there.

Truckers are some of the most hard-headed people I've ever met. You can tell a trucker the sky is blue and he'll argue with you over and over again that it isn't. It's why things never change in that end of the biz...too many GMEN!!! :lol: