User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hazmat and railroad tracks.

I do have my X endorsement, and I do know all the rules and what not about a placarded hazmat load and RR crossing.... 15 feet / 50 feet, no shifting while going over the tracks, etc.

What I'm asking for is more of a personal opinion.

I drive a field service truck for a local construction company. It's a straight truck with an 1100 gallon fuel tank (for fueling the equipment, not the truck itself) for #2 diesel fuel (the red dyed off-road stuff). On the only road that leads to the storage yard where the truck is located there is a set of railroad tracks that is not in use, and hasn't been for at least 15 - 20 years.

There is no safety equipment (crossing arms, lights, audible waring) anywhere in the vicinity of the crossing and there is a chain link fence across the tracks approximately 20 yards on either side of the road.

Would you bother stopping? :lol:

BTW, I do put my 4-ways on, stop, and do all the other jazz on all other RR crossings, just curious to see what some of you have to say. :wink:
Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hazmat and railroad tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
I do have my X endorsement, and I do know all the rules and what not about a placarded hazmat load and RR crossing.... 15 feet / 50 feet, no shifting while going over the tracks, etc.

I drive a field service truck for a local construction company. It's a straight truck with an 1100 gallon fuel tank (for fueling the equipment, not the truck itself) for #2 diesel fuel (the red dyed off-road stuff). On the only road that leads to the storage yard where the truck is located there is a set of railroad tracks that is not in use, and hasn't been for at least 15 - 20 years.

There is no safety equipment (crossing arms, lights, audible waring) anywhere in the vicinity of the crossing and there is a chain link fence across the tracks approximately 20 yards on either side of the road.

BTW, I do put my 4-ways on, stop, and do all the other jazz on all other RR crossings, just curious to see what some of you have to say. :wink:
Is there also a sign saying "EXEMPT" or "ABANDONED"? If so, you should not have to stop... Unless the rules have changed since I hauled hasmat. If that fence has gates across the tracks, it is still available for use, but if no gates, the tracks are most likely considered abandoned. You would not have to stop.

Good practice, though.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Board Icon

:lol: ...I'd drive right through, but then feel paranoid for the next 30 minutes waiting for the Men in Black. :?

Bring this to the attention of the Township maybe?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM

No signs, exempt or otherwise, or really any way to tell there is a set of tracks there except for the tracks themselves. The tracks have obviously not been used in a looooooooong time, but there are still tracks there.

Personally, I've never stopped at that crossing due to the fact that the chance of a train coming down those tracks is about as good as my dog successfully running for president. It is in an industrial area and NMDOT likes to hang out on some of the roads near there and hit up the dirt / rock haulers to see what they can be fined with.

"But sir, ain't no choo-choo been down them tracks in years." :lol:
Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Hazmat and railroad tracks.

Quote:

the penalty now is no less than 60 days disqualification, not worth it, read more here if you're interested
http://www.oli.org/training/professi...quirements.htm
Old 08-10-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
No signs, exempt or otherwise, or really any way to tell there is a set of tracks there except for the tracks themselves. The tracks have obviously not been used in a looooooooong time, but there are still tracks there.

Personally, I've never stopped at that crossing due to the fact that the chance of a train coming down those tracks is about as good as my dog successfully running for president. It is in an industrial area and NMDOT likes to hang out on some of the roads near there and hit up the dirt / rock haulers to see what they can be fined with.

"But sir, ain't no choo-choo been down them tracks in years." :lol:
If it does not say EXEMPT then you must stop. There are some train tracks that get used only once a week. Just because there are no gates does not mean a train won't come rolling through, and probably at a higher speed than in town centers.

What do you think the result would be of a train doing 60mph hitting your 1100 tank of fuel?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

I'm gonna go with classB all the way on this one. I know that you have noted that there are chains across the tracks, etc.

The only possible way that you could be wrong, is to not stop. Why chance it? CDL disqualification would definitely not be a good thing. (a police officer in a particularly bad mood can make life difficult :wink: )

I understand the spirit of your inquiry. Why not then contact the railroad/law enforcement regarding installation of 'out of service' signs at this location.

Quote:
It is in an industrial area and NMDOT likes to hang out on some of the roads near there and hit up the dirt / rock haulers to see what they can be fined with.
You just answered your own question. :wink:

Play it safe. Protect your CDL. :wink:

Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 PM

The tracks are obviously not in use, but with DOT in the area...better safe than sorry I suppose. 8)
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Board Regular

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?I...ubCategoryID=0

" . . It was one of those "Whew! That was a close one!" moments for 54-year-old Goffus of Malvern, who was traveling his normal route to the Alliance Water Treatment Plant from American Landfill. It's the same route he drives for JMW Trucking Co. of Canton five times a day.

Yet he'd never seen a train use the tracks on state Route 44 . . "

I'd say that unless and until they post the crossing or rip up the tracks, you ought to be stopping. Or, take a little time this weekend and make up a couple signs of your own . .
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Board Icon

You're ALL failing to address one issue.

Quote:
If that chain-link fence has gates across the tracks, it can still be used. If that fence has no gates across the tracks, the tracks can not be used by a train without taking the fence down or plowing through it. I have also seen a few places where the tracks are still across the road, but go 100 feet to either side of the road, and the tracks and ties have been taken up and only the bare road bed is left. That would mean that the tracks will not be in use, they have been abandoned.

I would also suggest checking with one of the local officers (cops) for the status, because likely as not, if you're going to get a ticket, they'll be the ones to give it to you.