User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default former driver wants to get back into driving

hello everyone. i am currently working in the contruction business. i got my CDL-A (tank end. ) in 2000. i worked for a few years hauling construction/ drilling equipment throughout the west, and northwest. after that, i worked as an o/o hauling oversized loads up to 16' wide(portable buildings) recently, i have grown tired of the construction work, and it seems to be really slowing down, like everything else. i came to this site, and have been reading, and have learned a lot. i am not that familiar with the trucking industry, and didn't really drive OTR. i just transported the equipment in between jobs, and drove local when at the jobsite. i am just bit overwhelmed by all of the possibilities. not really sure where to go or who to speak with. most of my driving experiences have been good, with the exception of being shut down at the scalehouse in Truckee, CA. for some violations i had never even heard of. ops: and spending several days snowed in there. i consider myself to be an excellent driver, and have a perfect record. (no wreck, no dui, no tickets) the money would have to be good enough to justify being away from my family for so long. i have heard that some companies specialize in oversized loads, and that the money can be very good. does anyone know about this? are there really that many choices? just not quite sure what to do next. maybe i'm just procrastinating. any advise or info would be greatly appreciated
SAM
Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

More than likely unless you can find some small outfit willing to give you a chance most are going to consider you totally inexperienced. At best they are going to want to put you with a trainer for 4-6 weeks, at worst they are going to tell you take a CDL course or refresher course and then put you with a trainer for 4-6 weeks.

To answer your other question, yes there are companies out there that specialize in heavy haul/OD loads and/or equipment hauling. These companies typically want 2 or more years of OTR driving experience and some want to see 1-2 years of that doing flatbeds.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The way it usually works in heavy haul is you start with flats, steps and then move to low boys, RGN's or double drops. You will probably start with something wide or long and move up to high loads. With time you will progress to multi axle trailers, jeeps, etc., Most carriers want you to prove yourself before trusting you to do over-sized or over dimensional loads. I prefer a driver to pull a flat for a while before giving him a step deck. There isn't much difference between the two, but loading is a bit different. I like to take small steps with a driver until I feel comfortable with his abilities. I like to see a driver who is very detail oriented and takes his time. You don't want a driver who is always in a big hurry hauling over-sized loads.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Rookie

Uturn- thanks for the reply. it wasn't exactly what i was hoping to hear. i certainly don't mind starting at the bottom of the ladder, but i wouldn't even consider going to a school to learn to drive for several reasons. about a trainer.... i wouldn't mind that, but 4-6 weeks sounds like a long time. how does the pay work for training? i learned to drive large trucks/ trailers at a young age. growing up in a farming community, it was somewhat of a neccesity. as for my 2 years driving for the construction company, i gained a great amount of experience. i drove a long nosed Pete, with a 53' mud tank, and sometimes a flatbed trailer with construction equipment. i gained lots of off road experience, and worked through many sticky situations, snow, ice, mud etc. i can't help but think that this experience would help. as for my time with oversized loads, i think that also should help.
Gman- i agree with you about proving oneself, and not being in a hurry. getting in a hurry hauling anything, especially OS loads, will only lead to major problems. i have seen this first hand. i have 3 years experience with OS loads. the worst was hauling a 16x48 building across Houston, on I45. :shock: honestly, it scared the crap out of me. :shock: people just don't want to give drivers the room they need. :evil:
i am still very interested in finding a driving job. it is very helpful to hear from people who know about the industry. thanks for the info
SAM