User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default would you do it all over again if you had a chance

Here's my story, I had a back injury in novmeber 5 of 2005 at work. This factory that I worked at dealt with alot of heavy lifting 200#+ pieces. In december 6, 2006 I had disk fusions and hernated disk fixed. In the next couple of months or so I have to go back to school to get trained in a new career. Probably I have to say getting a CDL is, if not near the top of the my list of choices. Seeing how I use to love driving and listening to the music (have XM now). I don't love driving as much now, I think it's age catching up to me, but I still enjoy it. I do have some expertince driving a trailer. I use to work for my father inlaw working with a small backhoe businesse driving a one ton dump truck with a 27-28 ft. trailer I know it's not driving a tractor trailler but it did give me alot of practicing backing up and all that fun stuff. The doc says at best my final weight limit will be about 50-55# if I heal 100%. I know this weight limit and back surgery is going to be a strike against me no matter what job I chose, but I got to do what I need to. I do have a wife and kid but me and the wife have for the most part worked different shifts so we really don't see much of each other so being on the road probably won't be to bad as long as I'm not gone for a month. As for the kid we never had a strong bond anyways so I don't see to many problems there either.
Now I know some are going to say it's the next best thing since slice bread and others or going to say run run as fast as you can. But I'm scared to jump in to career that is felling the pinch from the fuel prices, worrying about a job that might not be there the next day. I've been through that at my last job, it sucked 10 year wondering if the doors will be locked when you arive at work.
so any inputs about what way I should go would be much helpfull right about now.
thanks in advance
REDTAIL
Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some van companies require you to help unload your trailer with some accounts. Others may not. In any case, you should not be required to help unload with all your loads. I would think that it would cause you more problems sitting for hours at a time with a back injury. If you go with flats, then you will need to throw tarps which are much heavier than 50 pounds. I would say that you could probably do the driving providing the sitting doesn't cause you a problem.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Board Regular
Default I LOVE TRUCKING BUT IT'S NOT 4 EVERYBODY!!!

I LOVE TRUCKING BUT IT'S NOT 4 EVERYBODY!!! You have to love it to do it, but like any other job it is not for everyone, you have to find your niche in life. Sounds like you have done that!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Regardless if you unload freight or not trucking is hard on the back. While not as bad as it was 20 or 30 years ago (or more) it still takes its toll. Many people with very healthy backs end up with back problems down the road and it often happens sooner with people who have problems to start with.

IMHO, with your medical history I would look at some other field.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Look into pilot cars or hot shots. Pilot cars can make good $$ if you hook with the right companies.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I LOVE TRUCKING BUT IT'S NOT 4 EVERYBODY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
I LOVE TRUCKING BUT IT'S NOT 4 EVERYBODY!!! You have to love it to do it, but like any other job it is not for everyone, you have to find your niche in life. Sounds like you have done that!
That's because it's a lifestyle
Old 08-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Rookie
Default Re: would you do it all over again if you had a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTAIL
... But I'm scared to jump in to career that is felling the pinch from the fuel prices, worrying about a job that might not be there the next day. I've been through that at my last job, it sucked 10 year wondering if the doors will be locked when you arive at work.
so any inputs about what way I should go would be much helpfull right about now.
thanks in advance
REDTAIL
If you do decide to go into trucking, find the job you want first, apply, and then go to school. It seems backwards but there are MANY trucking companies that prey on the uninformed and mathematically challenged. Besides, why not have a clear path in mind before taking the "plunge"

Over the road trucking industry has a industry turnover of 120-130%. I'm sure newbies out of school have a much higher turnover rate. Trucking is not secure, one mistake could finish your job and relegate you to the bottom feeder companies. Even an accident that was just that, an accident, could shut all doors. But that is not the reason for the turnover.
You won't know the true impact on your family and your self till you actually do the job. Nobody does. Also new drivers (factoring in nonexistent overtime pay and all the hrs it takes to do the job) make a laughably low hourly pay average.

I would suggest that if you go into trucking, make sure you can make a graceful exit. That would be wise in an industry with 130% turnover

Truth in trucking

Good Luck!
I hope your back gets 110%
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Keep in mind that just because you have (or can get) a Class A license, doesn't mean you're re3quired to drive a tractor-trailer OTR.

My first commercial driving job was with Swift, after 6 months or so of doing that I went local with Pepsi and did that for almost a year. I considered going back to school for a degree and made it three steps of the four in that area. My financial assistance was a little lacking and I couldn't "make ends meet" while also attending school.

I did eventually land a job with a local construction company where I get paid nearly $20 per hour, 40 hours per week, Saturday & Sunday off, and all major holidays are paid time off. Best part of the job is that I drive the "service truck", which is pretty much just a rolling fuel island. Literally, all I do is drive the truck and drag a fuel hose to the equipment. I have an assistant who does all the crap / really physical labor.

If I had to do it over again, I would definitely bypass Swift and avoid the whole OTR thing.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

It's hard to say. On one hand, I would've liked to have found something better for myself, but I'm working on that now. What I would've done different, if I were retracing my footsteps... I don't know. I've had a bit of bad luck with several jobs I'd taken, and would've preferred to find someplace where I could stay for a considerable amount of time and be relatively happy with it.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I LOVE TRUCKING BUT IT'S NOT 4 EVERYBODY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
That's because it's a lifestyle
I'd rather consider it a job that I liked very much that supports my lifestyle!
Life is outside the truck!