User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Virginia Scale house

I'll get right to the point. My company right now at the moment is giving me a hard time on getting items fixed on my trailer. I told them today that they have one month to get it fixed, which I think is more than generous, and more than enough to get the items fixed. Or I take it to the closest weight station to us (Suffolk, Va US 58 scales) to get it inspected.

Now for the life of me I cant remember, does Virginia only fine the company or is it both (company and driver). Hopefully it wont get to the point were I go to the scale house, but I want to check just in case.

Thanks all.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Not really sure about VA. Back before I became an O/O I went into a scale and told them that me and my boss did not see eye to eye on maintenance issues and they were very nice and did a level 1 and put me out of service right there. His actual quote was "Did you pack a lunch?" He seemed to indicate that this happens all the time and they don't frequently ticket the drivers in this situation.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Not to be rude towards you, But what kind of issues is your halfassed company not dealing with?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

If you're planning on doing that--- you will need to mark all the defective safety items on your daily inspection form-- drive into the scale ,park around back, walk in with your log book/ driver's inspection--- state that you are terminating your employment with said company for safety concerns that they refuse to address, request a safety inspection- when they find all those safety defects-- they will have you call your company and listen-in while you politely ask to have them fixed-- if your company refuses and the dot officer hears this----over the speaker phone( as a witness). then they will take care of it from there...

otherwise, you probably should just quit and save your CDL- keep out of trouble.

But all this is only concerned with Safety items/ there's no legal protection for stuff like the AC not working.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
If you're planning on doing that--- you will need to mark all the defective safety items on your daily inspection form-- drive into the scale ,park around back, walk in with your log book/ driver's inspection--- state that you are terminating your employment with said company for safety concerns that they refuse to address, request a safety inspection- when they find all those safety defects-- they will have you call your company and listen-in while you politely ask to have them fixed-- if your company refuses and the dot officer hears this----over the speaker phone( as a witness). then they will take care of it from there...

otherwise, you probably should just quit and save your CDL- keep out of trouble.

But all this is only concerned with Safety items/ there's no legal protection for stuff like the AC not working.
The problem is around here jobs are very, very hard o find at the moment, and I enjoy working at my company for the most part. It's just trying to get these items on my list fixed.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Board Icon

Madlux, on my overweight ticket, the company was written as the one who had to pay. If they failed to pay, MY license would have been suspended.......... :? pricks. Not sure about having faulty equipment but I suspect that it would be against the company if you voluntarily ask for a Level 1.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Board Regular

Remember, even though it is a company vehicle and the ticket by law may be the responsibility of the vehicle owner to bring into compliance, any violation noted will be on YOUR driving record. No, it probably won't count as points against you but could very well increase your personal vehicle insurance premiums as well as being on the record the next time you are stopped for any violation or a routine DOT inspection. An officer conducting the inspection may look closer if he has noted previous violations on your as he will see a pattern developing!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

One more thing to consider. After you go into the scale and get inspected, and perhaps, put out of service, the company looks at you as having "COST THEM MONEY". Depending on just how fairly the company deals with it's people, you could find that your miles go down. I know of an instance where Schnieder did it to a driver, I know of an England driver that was up against that, and with a broken fifth wheel in New Mexico, I thought he was justified. DOT came out to the truck stop and did the inspection there. One of the companies I was with years ago, got into trouble before for telling the driver they had no loads, so they gave me short loads that all had to be tarped. Nothing over 200 miles for two weeks, and I still got in 3300 miles a week, then they gave up and put me back on normal loads. They can not fire you because of a safety issue that you want fixed and take steps to having it done, but they do have ways to work on you and make you want to quit.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Board Icon

Unless you have another job lined, don't voluntarily get put OOS. Have you tried just asking for 1 item at a time to be fixed? You might have 4 or 5 items that need fixing but don't ask for them all at once and see what happens. Ask for 1 item to be fixed, wait a few days if it gets fixed and ask for another to be fixed. Worst that happens is they still refuse to do anything and your right back to square one.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Unless you have another job lined, don't voluntarily get put OOS. Have you tried just asking for 1 item at a time to be fixed? You might have 4 or 5 items that need fixing but don't ask for them all at once and see what happens. Ask for 1 item to be fixed, wait a few days if it gets fixed and ask for another to be fixed. Worst that happens is they still refuse to do anything and your right back to square one.

Thats where I am at right now. It's excuses of no spare trailers, no spare trucks, etc. Even though we can get rentals from our mechanics shop with in an hour's notice, they just don't care.

I don't have to worry about miles, I'm local, Base pay and I get paid by the case, and they are so short of people anyway I seriously doubt they would try to get rid of me. I'm just more worried about me getting a ticket also if it came down to this.