User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need Advice on looking for a Job

How do I tell a potential employer about an accident I was involved in. I did not receive a citation nor a ticket for this accident. The accident is now six months old, but is not on my mvr nor on the mvr for the dac report. It just states I have one preventable accident and it does not list the city or state it took place in. Nor does anywhere say I was at fault. I am a new driver with six month experience.

Can some one please help me. I did loose my job, but not over the accident, it was over parking on the on-ramp.

Thanks
Casey
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Most applications ask for all accidents you were involved in in the past x amount of years. Give a written description of the accident and if you have a copy of the police report include that as well.

I would also write up why you were terminated from the past employment. There are some carriers, Crete and Shaffer being one, that will ask both sides for the reason for termination.

Six months of experience will probably have you going through a training program. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Look at it from two perspectives.

A)
It's not on your MVR or DAC. Therefore unless you willing give any information, it can't be proven in any way. Since there was no citation issued, there's no way for anyone to confirm the incident through the police department who has jurisdiction in the area where it took place.
Any prospective companies who look at your past history won't see it - as such, it never happened and you shouldn't say anything about it.

B) You decide that since there's no MVD or DAC record of the incident, you won't list it on the application. 6 months or a year later, the initial police report has been filed and your current employer finds it during their yearly driving record check of all employees. They see that you do have one preventable and fire you for falsifying information on your application then they ding your DAC for that.

Now, it's up to how honest you are and how daring you are. The moral thing to do would be to put it down on the application then tell your side of the story to any prospective employers and point out the fact that you weren't cited or formally charged with anything. Most companies will look beyond it if you explain the circumstances. However, if you like to take risks, don't put anything down when it asks about accidents and hope like hell it never comes to light.

As for being terminated for parking on the get-on ramp, that's dangerous, stupid, and probably against company policy of all the major carriers. Granted, it's not as bad as being on the off ramp, but still not an ideal place. Since you've already demonstrated the fact that you don't abide by the rules and you endanger yourself and their equipment, you're going to be hard pressed to BS your way around that one.

Of course, all of that is my $0.02 worth, so take that into consideration.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It's not on your MVR or DAC.
While there is nothing on the MVR there is a Preventable on his employment record.

The way it was worded is confusing.

Quote:
It just states I have one preventable accident
Anyway, trucking companies do not view accidents involving CMV's as at fault or not. They look at them as preventable and non preventable for the most part and for the most part 99%+ of accidents are deemed as preventable.

Just as an FYI for anyone reading this. Just because an accident is not on your DAC, your MVR, does not mean that someone may not find out about it. If there was damage and it is reported to an insurance company the accident info is filed and many insurance companies share information on accidents and some trucking companies have their insurance carriers run a check through that data base as well to see what may pop up.