User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When I went thru swift school, after the first in class week, the 2nd week is all range work. We started at 6am, and went until 4pm. We spent 2 hours at each station. The first day was all about learning the clutch and shifting, and the only movement of the truck we did was go back and forth in a straight line. The second day we did that for a half of day, then went to the rotating range positions. It was basically 2 45 backing stations (In different spots), 2 Virginia curves (Paralleling), and 2 straight lines. Though there where 2 of each station, they where both radically different, plus on top of that every single truck had a different issue (on purpose) you had to work around. The worst one was the one straight line station that had a trailer that dog tracked like a mother. One of the 45s had its 5th wheel dry as a bone, and one of the Virginias had a mirror that refused to stay where you put it. Ontop of it the clutches where about as bad as they get. That first week was a lot of cone running over, grinding gears, stalling out, 'jumping' the truck, etc etc. After that week of range hell, was the week on the road, also 6am to 4pm. 4 to a truck, each person got about 2 to 3 hours drive time a day, totaling 12 hours drive time for the week. First day we went to an industrial park, that had barely any traffic of any kind, and used that for our learning to up and down shift at speed, as well as simple turning, stopping, etc. After the first day, the rest of it was all spent in and around the city of Richmond, a descent mix of hills, city driving, highway driving, etc. Really most of the time was spent going in and out of downtown Richmond!

I also never drove stick before, and believe me, you are at the advantage, you don't have bad habits to unlearn. I learned it very quick, and in fact during the swift driving test (before going to dmv), I was told I was one of the quickest to pickup shifting, and at the DMV I was told I was one of the best at shifting for a newbie. Actually, that reminds me too, after my 6 weeks out with my trainer, and I came back to my home terminal to test out to go solo, I did my road test floating, and the guy evaling me didn't even notice I was floating until he happened to look down at me feet when we where pulling back into the terminal, and said, "Damn you shift so good I didn't even realize you where floating that entire time, just make sure that in the future if you are doing a test of any kind double clutch!".
Old 07-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Shifting gears and backing was so easy :?

Just joking, I couldnt shift gears to save my life the 1st week I was in a truck. I was sent home after 13 days with Schneider because I couldnt shift nor could I back into the broadside of a barn.

I kept trying and trying and now I can back and shift pretty good. I have driving for 1.5 years now.

Be patient and it will all come together.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

when i first started the only problem i had was i would dump the clutch!! lol and rock me and my trainer to hell!! I could get through the gears like it was nothing... another problem was i couldnt set my self up for a right turn.. i would go in to high of a gear or coasting... but i got it all down pack before i left and actually was told i was one of the best shifters the school had ever seen... backing up was a whole different story.. my trainer gave me the keys one day and told me to go play with it.. hell i sat in the truck for 2 hours trying to learn how to back!! with no trainer!!!but three sessions later i was hitting the dock backing like it won't nothing..

as long as you have at least an hour or two behind the wheel every session you will be find.. get into a grove and you good.. if u share the truck with 5 other students sitting in the sleeper than good luck!! lol
Old 07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Truck School Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggynCali
Hey guys i'm going through school right now, I'm on my 2nd day in the truck, we have done the air brake test once, drove 1 lap an tryed to dock between cones. i'm wondering how you guys felt at about this sametime going through school..
Where in Cali are you and what school?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Rookie
Default Roadmaster in San Antonio

First post here. Been lurking for over a week. My husband just finished with Roadmaster's school in San Antonio. He did really well but he is definitely of the opinion that it was a lot of money for the amount of actual instruction he received. I agree with his assessment. Their equipment was also crap but I figure if you can learn to make those trucks move with their knackerd gearboxes then you should be able to shift anything.

To dewercs2: I've asked jvnd to forward you an email I sent him asking your thoughts on the company you drive for as my husband goes to their orientation next week. If you read this before he sends you my mail, email me at [email protected]. Since you've gone through it so recently, I'd like your opinion.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Board Regular

I took a weekend course.
we did classroom shit on a saturday, then did our first drive on a sunday.
i had the whole week to mull it over, and i almost didn't go back.
but i gutted it up and stuck it out. glad i did
Old 08-03-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddo
I took a weekend course.
we did classroom $&!+ on a saturday, then did our first drive on a sunday.
i had the whole week to mull it over, and i almost didn't go back.
but i gutted it up and stuck it out. glad i did
I did the weekend course also. Worked mon-fri then school sat-sun 645-530. I never thought about quitting but 2.5 months of it was nuts. Not to mention being a student and having a 5 day gap between classes :?