User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting back into driving question

I have some questions. I’ve been out of trucking since April 5, 2007 and am ready to go back into driving again. Anyway, in getting my ducks in a row I sent off for and just received my USIS (DAC) report. I want to make sure that there isn’t anything on it that shouldn’t be on it since I used to work for Swift.

Anyway, even though I worked for Swift for a little over 2 years and 3 months, my USIS (DAC) report says to the effect that at the present time, we have no information from your previous employers. So I’m curious, since there is no information contained in my USIS (DAC) report, will that hurt me when trying to get another driving job?

Although I have no preventables and no tickets on my MVR, I was terminated from Swift. So the fact that my USIS (DAC) report has no information is perplexing me. The reason I was terminated, according to the new fleet manager that terminated me, was insubordination, but in reality I was really royally screwed.

Just prior to getting fired I was involved in an incident that resulted in the inside of my truck catching fire and burning up. I also lost all my stuff that was in the truck.

It all started when my truck was put in the shop at the Lancaster, TX terminal just before I was to take home time after being out about 4 weeks because I had a bad driver’s side drive tire and I was getting a lighting module fault when I would start the truck. To make a very long story short, they ended up keeping the truck in the shop for 12 days and then late on the 12th day, they finally gave me the truck back but told me that they had disconnected the front marker lights because there was a short somewhere they couldn’t find or fix. I called my DM and asked him who was going to pay my tickets should I get one and he told me to go talk to the shop manager about that. Typical pass the buck Swift bullshit.

Anyhow, I had to bobtail to Ft Worth to pick up an empty and then rush to the shipper about 5 miles down the road to get loaded on time, which was supposed to be my load to go home for long delayed home time, so I didn’t have any time to go talk to the shop manager if I didn’t want to be late to pick up my load.

Anyway, I drove to the location where the empty was, found and hooked up to an empty. Then I started driving to the shipper to pick up my load. After driving a couple of miles down the road, I noticed my eyes and my throat started burning, so I looked down, and when I did, I saw smoke billowing into the cab from the lower dash.

So I hurried up and found a safe place to pull over and after I set the breaks and shut down the truck engine, I hurried up and jumped out the truck, disconnected the pigtails from the trailer because I figured it was the extra draw from the trailer that was causing the fire, and unhooked the fire extinguisher in case I needed it.

Then I called 911 and gave them my location and asked them to send a fire truck ASAP. Next, I called the terminal and on road and informed them what was going on and about the same time I hung up with them, flames started shooting out the top of the dash. So I climbed on the steps and emptied the fire extinguisher on the flames and managed to put the flames out.

Anyway to make a long story short, about five minutes later the flames flamed back up and the inside of the truck burned up before the fire department finally arrived and put it out.

Okay lets fast-forward a little bit, after taking home time and going out one more time in another assigned truck, I was treated like I had the plague. When I asked about being reimbursed for the stuff I had lost in the truck, the fleet manager said he would check with the terminal manager and get back to me. He never did, even though I left him numerous messages on his voice mail everyday. As a matter of fact, when it was time for me to leave to go out again, he got another fleet manager to call me and line me up with my first load. The excuse was that my fleet manager, who was brand new, by the way, was tied up in a meeting.

My DM had gone on vacation the day following my incident, and when he came back about a week after I had been out, I told him what was up and he was very apologetic and empathetic of my plight and said that he would do all that he could to help me out. Then two hours later he called me back and told me that he was ordered not to talk to me about the incident because the fleet manager that refused to call me back or take my calls had told him that he had already told me everything I needed to know and ordered him not to talk to me about the incident, even though he never did call me back or even return my calls.

Anyway, another couple of weeks or so went by of me being treated like I was radioactive when I finally decided that I had enough. I sent a qualcom message to my DM and told him what the fleet manager had told me, which was I’ll check on it and call you back, and that he had never called me back and that if he couldn’t tell me what was up with me getting reimbursed for my stuff in the next day in a half that I was going to call the terminal manager personally and find out for myself. The following morning, the fleet manager called me and fired me for insubordination and told me to leave the truck I was driving at the Albuquerque, NM terminal. So I did, I unloaded my stuff and rented a car, then drove home over 1100 miles at my expense.

In any event, I never ended up getting reimbursed for my stuff. As a matter of fact, the receipts for my 12-night stay in the hotel burned up in the truck along with all my stuff and even though I called the hotel and had them resend the receipts to the terminal, I never got reimbursed for that long hotel stay either. In other words, I got screwed about as royally as a person can possibly get screwed, even though I was an excellent driver, never had any service failure, preventables, or tickets.

Oh, while I was still on home time that last time and before I left to go on that last outing, I received a call out of the blue from another swift driver who identified himself as a former trainer of one of the drivers that had also stayed at the hotel at the same time I did while his truck was also being worked on. He told me that he had been with Swift off and on for over 20 years and was participating in a committee consisting of drivers and management and wanted to know if it was okay for him to use the story of my incident in that committee. He explained that the driver that was in the hotel at the same time I was there was one of his former students and had told him about the incident. I went ahead and gave him permission. Then after chit chatting with him for a few minutes more before we hung up, he told me to be careful and warned me to watch out because he had seen a lot of drivers in my situation get fired in order to cover up for incompetent shop managers, and apparently that is exactly what happened to me.

Hence, my questions, since my USIS (DAC) report has no information on me, will I have a problem going back to driving? I mean…how will my 2 plus years of driving history be confirmed? Further, since there is no information on me on my USIS (DAC) report should I put down my reason for leaving as being terminated for insubordination, or should I put down that I resigned, since it isn’t indicated? Finally, since I haven’t been driving trucks since April 5, 2007, 2 days before Easter, (yeah…they were failing to get me home in time for Easter too, not to mention that all I had was a whopping 600 miles for the week) how will that impact me getting a job?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Now you know why they're constantly hiring.

The above post should be proof in the pudding enough for anyone with at least half a functioning brain to avoid the c00lie carriers like the plague.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Not all carriers report to DAC. Some carriers like Swift use DAC to help with background checks but do not supply information to DAC on former drivers. It is not a problem. The carrier(s) you apply to will simply contact Swift themselves for your employment info.

When you fill out an application I would simply put terminated as reason for leaving. If the recruiter has any questions then tell your story. In the accidents and incidents section I would list the truck fire as truck electrical fire and leave the preventable/non preventable blank or put an NA there. This will at least show an acknowledgment of the incident and you risk having your application tossed based on trying to hide something.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Not all carriers report to DAC. Some carriers like Swift use DAC to help with background checks but do not supply information to DAC on former drivers. It is not a problem. The carrier(s) you apply to will simply contact Swift themselves for your employment info.

When you fill out an application I would simply put terminated as reason for leaving. If the recruiter has any questions then tell your story. In the accidents and incidents section I would list the truck fire as truck electrical fire and leave the preventable/non preventable blank or put an NA there. This will at least show an acknowledgment of the incident and you risk having your application tossed based on trying to hide something.
Are you saying Swift does not post things on DAC? You know this for fact?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Board Regular
Default For the love of god

Dont go back to work for swift!

We keep telling you guys not to work for these scumbag companies. Let me be specific:

CRAP companies who abuse and rip off employees:

Swift
Werner
JB Hunt
Pam - including their flatbed division
US Express

Well the list is actually much longer but those are the biggies. If you're working for one of these companies you're getting screwed. If you think you arent it either just isnt your turn yet (you just started) or you're deluding yourself.

Good luck my friend and be smart go to work for a small company where you KNOW everyone in the office rather than what they type on a machine.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:31 AM

You could get a lawyer and sue for your lost items, the hotel bill, lost wages, rental car, gas getting home, and for other things the lawyer would think up.

I'd then call OSHA and tell them your story. OSHA can fine your employer hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You got shafted big time. By my calculations, they owe you a couple thousand dollars at a minimum.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 AM

If you were fired and they covered up, you're eligable for 3 times your actual damages (bills, lost wages, ect) and you can get punative damages which have no limit. You could walk away from this with over 10-20K.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: For the love of god

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid
CRAP companies who abuse and rip off employees:

Swift
Werner
JB Hunt
Pam - including their flatbed division
US Express

Well the list is actually much longer but those are the biggies. If you're working for one of these companies you're getting screwed. If you think you arent it either just isnt your turn yet (you just started) or you're deluding yourself.
I have to wonder if all these companies are screwing their employees why they have drivers that have many years of service with that same company. Many of their drivers have earned million(+) mile pins.

And no I have NOT worked for any of these companies.

kc0iv
Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Board Regular
Default KC01v

I've asked that question a lot actually at the fuel aisle or coffee stand heh.

Ive talked to some JB and Schneider guys with lots of experience who made a lot of money. The schneiders tended to be guys who wanted to be out 3+ weeks and were trainers. Every single one of the JB's were lease operators. Go figure. Talked to a few werners. Never met a werner driver i didnt like a lot. But they seemed just not to know better. They seem to run for money most of you would laugh aat for the most part. Had a friend werner left sitting in a hotel for a month waiting on their truck. I kid you not. The pam guys well.. maybe because they're in autos they're afraid to try to go anywhere else.

I never understood why a lot of you stay where you are. Guys who are incredible drivers, turn lots of miles, clean dacs who stay out 3 weeks for really awful money. Or guys who spend all their time sitting etc. I finally got it. I could get a job where im at i'm pretty sure now making 30% more and running local if i worked at it hard. Union too possibly. But my company treats me well. I like all the people who work three a lot (despite it being an ultrachristian company.. we all know what that means..). It's just comfortable and im happy. I finally get it.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
If you were fired and they covered up, you're eligable for 3 times your actual damages (bills, lost wages, ect) and you can get punative damages which have no limit. You could walk away from this with over 10-20K.
I really don't think he will find a lawyer who will go after this for him. There just isn't enough money for it to be worth the time it would take the attorney to do all the work. Plus these kinds of suits do not scare big companies as they have entire law firms on retainer to handle all this stuff and pay off the families of the people their trucks run over.

If you had a homeowners or renters insurance policy at the time of the incident call your agent, many times things like this are covered. If not, ask your tax guy to do the write off on what you lost and your hotel costs.