Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Swift trainers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid
making 120+ k? riiiight. In 60mph trucks too...

Lets see so they get 5000 miles a week or so, 52 weeks a year with no time off for paid vacation.. at around .46 a mile...

Golly gee i believe that! I bet they tell their trainees swift is the BESTEST company with the BESTEST drivers too.
My trainer is o/o, makes .92 cpm. I saw his paperwork from his accountant for 2007 as I was with him at the right time. I also saw his paperwork for 2006. He really did make $176k, however a good portion of that also went to truck costs. Ohh and his truck is governed at 72, not 60ish.
.92cpm is chump change for an O/O. Grossing 176k isnt all that unusual either. Its decent but he ran a ton of miles to get it and his fuel and maintenance are through the roof. He's probably lucky if he made much more than a co driver, depends on his lease, I mean truck payment. :lol:
He paid cash for his truck outside of swift.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid
making 120+ k? riiiight. In 60mph trucks too...

Lets see so they get 5000 miles a week or so, 52 weeks a year with no time off for paid vacation.. at around .46 a mile...

Golly gee i believe that! I bet they tell their trainees swift is the BESTEST company with the BESTEST drivers too.
My trainer is o/o, makes .92 cpm. I saw his paperwork from his accountant for 2007 as I was with him at the right time. I also saw his paperwork for 2006. He really did make $176k, however a good portion of that also went to truck costs. Ohh and his truck is governed at 72, not 60ish.
My old boss who was an O/O said he wouldnt touch his door handle for less than $2.50/mile, and that was over a year ago before diesel was $5.00/gallon. Did your trainer happen to be a black/puerto rican guy who was very hard to understand and has been with swift forever? I ran with a guy a few weeks ago who was an O/O for swifty and told me a similar story.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
He paid cash for his truck outside of swift.
And where did the money come from? An inheritence? He sure didnt earn it at .92 cpm!

Mat, any good business man knows he has to "expense" his equipment on a profit/loss statement. Fuel alone is running 65-70 cpm so that leaves him what? 25 cpm if he pays for nothing else. Again, company driver money.

His business is dying a slow death, he just doesnt know it yet. There's much to learn Mat, don't listen to just one source of info. You may want to run your own show someday but there's better opportunities than O/O for Swift.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

CD, at 92 cpm he is going in the hole BT ! Lets see.... Fuel $4.70 a gallon average (low) and he can average (?) 6 mpg that is 78 cpm right off the top. Oil change and service @ 12,000, $160 = 2 cpm Tires, I figure 3 cpm into a tire account. Maintanance, I put away 9 cpm Hmmm, he is driving for about 4 cpm
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Board Regular
Default Ah

You didnt say he was an O/o

172k isnt what he made. Its the Gross his business pulled in. What he made is what he paid himself after all that which im guessing is more along the lines of 40-60k.

Now the one and only thing i'll ever have to say good about some of these companies is that some of their drivers do ok on their leases. Suprisingly enough (because i listen to what people here have said about them) the only JB drivers i've ever met who were happy were the lease guys who ran the lease the right way. Then again who knows they may just not know any better.

We should put together some kind of guideline for newbies and not-newbies. Pulling dry vans i'll bet the average is something like:

Home every weekend
1st year - 30k
2nd year -40k
3rd year + increases slightly

Out 3 weeks
35-40k
40-50k
60-70k

Those are guesses and averages. You can definitely make more (i did/do) or less (LOTS of newbie company drivers do) and flatbedders/specialty guys of course make more. Plus people with dedicated/unusual setups are different. I'm home 3.5 days a week and make just under 40. I know guys who do local and pull 60k+
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Board Regular

so far YTD- $46,479.02 gross/28,372.60/net

This week i had 2833 miles and 3.60 hours in delay pay. We get $.547/mile and $22/hr for delay i think. grossed $1626.51.

Could come home daily, but the freakin gas bill defeats the purpose. Once i move up on seniority (LTL), the gravy should really start to flow. I drive for a company. I grossed 81k last year, with the same company. I quit OTR in 1996, making .25/mile. I got hired for local P&D at $14.62. I've been here a little over 12 years, the last 3.5 in lnehaul. Good money is out there, but you have to find it, it doesn't find you through companies with a recruiting department. IF THE COMPANY HAS A RECRUITER HOTLINE NUMBER, RUN!!!! that means they cannot keep drivers.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
CD, at 92 cpm he is going in the hole BT ! Lets see.... Fuel $4.70 a gallon average (low) and he can average (?) 6 mpg that is 78 cpm right off the top. Oil change and service @ 12,000, $160 = 2 cpm Tires, I figure 3 cpm into a tire account. Maintanance, I put away 9 cpm Hmmm, he is driving for about 4 cpm
You forget driving for Swift he get's fuel surcharges paid. He only ends up paying on average $1.50 a gallon with fuel as it is right now. Only reason he doesn't leave Swift is the security of the fact they are so large and always have loads. Personally if I owned a truck I would probably try to go under my own authority, not lease on to any of these major carriers.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
You forget driving for Swift he get's fuel surcharges paid. He only ends up paying on average $1.50 a gallon with fuel as it is right now. Only reason he doesn't leave Swift is the security of the fact they are so large and always have loads. Personally if I owned a truck I would probably try to go under my own authority, not lease on to any of these major carriers.
Yes we know, all companies offer a fuel surcharge, its more than likely figured in the 176k. You may "survive" if you're lucky but you wont make big money pulling for mcmega carrier.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You're missing a big part of the equation, the fuel surcharge. Right now it's .59 cpm at my company. Also, usually being leased on to a company you will pay their cost for fuel. I talked to our fuel guy and the fuel discount from pump price is anywhere from .05 - .35 cents off, averaging out to .10 - .15 cents off most of the time. I've ran into instances recently where the pump price was 4.55 and our cost was 4.25 .

As for the topic my first calendar year (2005) after starting OTR the end of July 2004 was $ 54,000. The first 6 months was just as strong as that calendar year. I should be about $56,000 - $57,000 this year 8) 8)
Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Around £34,000 year.
You wanna know how often the wife blows me too?(Just kidding... ops: )

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit