User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help choosing school

Hey all I need help choosing a school. What would you guys reccommend in the baltimore area?? Allstate career North american trade schools or Community College of Baltimore County??

Im trying to figure out what would be best me for me academically and financially

Let me know your input.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Generally speaking you want a program that is at least 160 hours. Many companies that hire students require this from students attending private schools.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Board Regular

well

NATS is 320 hours 10 weeks 32 hours a week and 4500 bucks

allstate

i know advanced is 420 hours and arounds 9000

the new preparatory class they have started offering here in baltimore I dont know how many hours it is.

CCBC is 151. This a change from what it used to be. It used to be a 6 week and about 200 they changed it though. now they require you to get your cdl permit before coming to school if you dont have the permit before coming then you tack on an addition fee of 800 bucks and 2 weeks for the "cdl permit school" Which for me wouldnt be bad its 3000 and I dont really need the Learners permit prep class I already know i can earn get my LP and pass all tests on my own. I had it once I know i can get it again.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Help choosing school

Community College is ALWAYS! the best route....better training, better truck to student ratio, better trainer to student ratio, etc....and usually MUCH cheaper! When you have a choice and are not pressured by time, always go with the community college training.....good luck!

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Find the carrier that you want to go to and check with them which school they will hire from.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Rookie

Can't say for sure what quality the schools around you are like, but a general rule of thumb is to visit each of the schools near you, and witness first hand the level of training you'll get.

As has been mentioned, find out how many hours the program will run, but also find out how many of those hours are in-class, in-range, and on the road. Again, find out what the student to trainer ratios are in the truck, as well. A school that sends one or two students out with a trainer is better than one that will pack ten students into a single truck!

As far as in class portions go, find out what exactly is covered, and to what depths they go with those topics. When I first started out, I was amazed at the other new drivers who didn't have a clue as to how to run a log, scale and/or adjust a load, or even how to plan a trip.

Talk to the instructors, if you get a chance. Get a feel for their demeanor, and style. Afterall, you're the one who has to learn from them.

I think that would be a pretty good start. You're spending a small fortune on your training.... Make sure that wherever you go, they start you on your way to being a driver. Not just another warm body with a CDL.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

This article is a couple years old so it might be outdated but still interesting:
Trucking School Info

I'm not from your area, but unless a certain trucking company that you want to work for doesn't hire from the truck school, I don't think it much matters. I've never known anyone who learned enough in trucking school- the real learing comes when you hit the road for real.