User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Local Drivers are Wusses!!

Okay, now that I have your attention!! :lol: :lol:

Let's just SAY, for the sake of argument, that..... although I LOVE being a "lifestyle" trucker..... I was to ENTERTAIN the thought of switching to local for a short period of time..... NOW that I have paid my dues to the OTR "coolie" carriers.

In MY area, MOST local trucking jobs pay no more than 12 - 15 dollars an hour! :shock:

I don't REALLY want to work too hard, like unloading 40k lbs of frozen meat or something..... but I'm not lazy OR overweight.

What are the BEST paying types of local jobs??

I don't mind giving up my sleeper (if I HAVE to,) for a daycab. But, I'm not real crazy about driving a dump or a straight truck. But... money talks! :wink:

I don't even HAVE to be home every night! (I carry my palm WITH me!) But, I'd like to be home every OTHER night.... and 2 days off for every 5 or 6 worked. (Does that allow linehaul in?)

Would I go for tankers? P&D? Linehaul? Logging? Dumps?

Are there OTHER options I'm not aware of?

Specifics about payscales and bennies would be very informative.

Don't bother with UNION jobs..... unless it is possible to get on as a DRIVER and not a dockworker! I ain't DOING that! :shock: :lol:

C'mon guys! Help me out! We're all friends here ain't we? Y'all KNOW I was just kidding about that "WUSSES" remark, right?? :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Local Drivers are Wusses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Its all in where you live as far as pay goes. Dumptruck drivers around me get 16-19/hr non-union and union drivers can make up to 24/hr. I like dump truck work it is real easy turn on the PTO and it does the un -loading for you. I am happy to see you are starting to see the light. I almost went over into the darkside of trucking but my good friends on here strighted me out.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I think I have to agree with the topic of the post I dunno, everytime I see a daycab it just looks like it's half the truck it should be
Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
I think I have to agree with the topic of the post I dunno, everytime I see a daycab it just looks like it's half the truck it should be
Everytime i see a sleeper it looks like 1/2 the pay check it should be. :wink:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Its all in where you live as far as pay goes. Dumptruck drivers around me get 16-19/hr non-union and union drivers can make up to 24/hr. I like dump truck work it is real easy turn on the PTO and it does the un -loading for you. I am happy to see you are starting to see the light. I almost went over into the darkside of trucking but my good friends on here strighted me out.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so fast there, youngin!! This is not necessarily a CAREER change.... just maybe a JOB change. If the fuel thing ever gets better, my ultimate goal is STILL to own my own truck and do longhaul like I do now! Of course, I'd be able to pick and choose my loads and hometime, etc.

I almost posted this question ON that thread of yours.... but, didn't want to distract from it! One little distraction.... and YOU are liable to end up as a Commercial Airline Pilot! :lol: :lol:

I have never really disparaged "local" driving.... and you KNOW that. But, NEITHER do I accept all the whining about all the unpaid hours of OTR! Of course, I didn't consider my company as a "coolie!" I had a NICHE and it suited me fine.

I'm just at a point where I might need a change. IMHO... there are like 5 major "divisions" to the trucking business. I have about 15 to 20 more years of it ahead of me. I'd like to try them ALL at some point, for a FEW years each! Let's just say.... maybe, I'm getting a little ticked off at Cali!!

How can I find what is RIGHT for me if I don't "experiment" a bit? I really don't know if I can STAND local work. But, I'm interested in finding out! As long as I don't exceed the limit of time off the OTR "road" I can always go back!

Besides, all that talk about YOUR girlfriend got me hot and bothered!! :lol: :lol:

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha ha you expect my help after insulting me!

OK listen up young Hobo!

There is a compromise between true OTR and LTL in linehaul. Two companies that come to mind are Estes and Old Dominion. Check into what they may call "running wild" or "bag runs" or extra board. Basically you go hub to hub without a schedule and without coming home everyday. You sleep in motels, "pack a bag", and are home on weekends. Unfortunately you still drive a wimpy daycab but you cant share it with a city driver if you never come home right? They also have teams that do the same thing with a sleeper, Estes is good for that. If you like the road, you still get your fix, get paid better, sleep better, eat better, and run 100% legal. All hub to hub without touching freight. When you get to a hub, you check in and see what they have thats fits your hours left, if nothing, you take your ten hours in a motel. These are usually jobs for the new guy because senior guys like a schedule, but if you like it you could stay on it for ever. Some guys like running wild. You will need doubles and hazmat.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Everytime i see a sleeper it looks like 1/2 the pay check it should be. :wink:

Doooooooohhhhhh!!!!

Ouch! :lol:
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
YOU are liable to end up as a Commercial Airline Pilot! :lol: :lol:
Thats funny you sound like my dad. I was just telling him i think it would be a cool job to be a cop. He laughs at me and says i will have done everything by the time im 50. There is so many jobs out there i would like to try and so little time.

Quote:
Besides, all that talk about YOUR girlfriend got me hot and bothered!! :lol: :lol:
You wouldnt be saying that if i posted a pic. :lol: :lol:

But back on topic. Well hobo you have to give something a try. You said you dont want to drive a stright truck so i guess dumps trucks are out.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha ha you expect my help after insulting me!

OK listen up young Hobo!

There is a compromise between true OTR and LTL in linehaul. Two companies that come to mind are Estes and Old Dominion. Check into what they may call "running wild" or "bag runs" or extra board. Basically you go hub to hub without a schedule and without coming home everyday. You sleep in motels, "pack a bag", and are home on weekends. Unfortunately you still drive a wimpy daycab but you cant share it with a city driver if you never come home right? They also have teams that do the same thing with a sleeper, Estes is good for that. If you like the road, you still get your fix, get paid better, sleep better, eat better, and run 100% legal. All hub to hub without touching freight. When you get to a hub, you check in and see what they have thats fits your hours left, if nothing, you take your ten hours in a motel. These are usually jobs for the new guy because senior guys like a schedule, but if you like it you could stay on it for ever. Some guys like running wild. You will need doubles and hazmat.
When did I EVER insult you, Snowman?? :lol: :lol: You're not talking about my THREAD TITLE, are you? :wink:

Thanks for the info! Now... a hub is a terminal, right? And they are so plentiful, that I can get to one, drop my pups, and still have hours to get to ANOTHER one? How can they guarantee I'll be home for the weekend? And why do I have to SHARE my truck with a city driver? He ONLY delivers on the weekend when I'm home? :? :?

D'OH!!! nevermind.... I getcher point! :shock:

What if I want to be home more often??

Daycabs??? Where do I take my daily NAPS?? :shock: :lol:

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
YOU are liable to end up as a Commercial Airline Pilot! :lol: :lol:
Thats funny you sound like my dad. I was just telling him i think it would be a cool job to be a cop. He laughs at me and says i will have done everything by the time im 50. There is so many jobs out there i would like to try and so little time.

Yeah... we've had this conversation before! :lol: I felt the same way when I was much younger! :wink:

Quote:
You wouldnt be saying that if i posted a pic. :lol: :lol:

WTF?? :shock: :lol: No WONDER you were so eager to "put out to sea!" :lol:

But back on topic. Well hobo you have to give something a try. You said you dont want to drive a straight truck so i guess dumps trucks are out.

Well..... I'm still openminded! Everyone HERE knows that is my best quality! :wink:

What can you tell me about "belly dumps" and such? Aren't THEY articulated? What are they used for?