Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat

You must drive local and are home every day.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you say so.

I refuse to let my job define me. My life isn't that shallow.
Letting your job define you is different then having a lifestyle. The more I hear from you the more you fit into the very thing you say doesn't exist.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Letting your job define you is different then having a lifestyle.
Explain the difference in relation to the "it's a lifestyle" trucker.

Quote:
The more I hear from you the more you fit into the very thing you say doesn't exist.
If you say so. :lol: I don't put up with a company's crap solely because I think "it's what you make of it", or that it is part of the job, which is one of the things that "it's a lifestyle" truckers are notorious for.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

What would the families where the grandfather, father, sons and grandkids are truckers be defined as? Would they say that trucking is a lifestyle?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

first off you cannot just say OTR trucking is just a job, because it is not. Yes it IS a job, but it is not your normal 9-5 40 hour a week job. You are living in a truck, even if you get home every weekend, you are still spending 5+ days in a truck. Now that is not to say that you are defined by it, but it is the job and the 'lifestyle' you chose. I don't live to work, nor do I work to live. I drive because I love most of the aspects of the 'lifestyle'. I love driving, I love traveling the country and seeing it, I even love the loner aspect to a degree. This does not mean I comform to 'coolie carrier excuses' either. If I was dealt a crappy load, I called my dispatcher and bitched for a better one, or if I sat waiting on a load I would be calling every hour on the hour bugging him. I did this for Swift I hardly ever had a crappy load because I wouldn't do it. I easily averaged 3000 miles a week. I didn't do it just to bust my ass, I did it because I enjoy doing it, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.

There are too many complainers and cry babies out there, as well as way too many people not taking anything serious, or taking things too serious. This goes with it is what you make it. It is what you make it is not an excuse to just let people walk on you, it is a way of looking at life that whatever happens you use it to your advantage. I didn't let my dispatcher walk on me, if I didn't like what he was doing, I made sure to explain it to him and communicate my unhappyness or disagreement, and made damn sure some sort of resolve was found that we both agreed upon. That again is not the same as some who try to think their dispatcher works for them, as opposed to others who say you work for the dispatcher, although ultimately you do work for who you work for and do need to do what they ask, but with a good communication you can make it clear what you like and want, and work with your dispatcher instead of either A just hating their guts or B just being walked all over, that is making it what you make it.

This ended up being a bit long winded but it gets the point across.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
first off you cannot just say OTR trucking is just a job, because it is not. Yes it IS a job, but it is not your normal 9-5 40 hour a week job. You are living in a truck, even if you get home every weekend, you are still spending 5+ days in a truck. Now that is not to say that you are defined by it, but it is the job and the 'lifestyle' you chose. I don't live to work, nor do I work to live. I drive because I love most of the aspects of the 'lifestyle'. I love driving, I love traveling the country and seeing it, I even love the loner aspect to a degree. This does not mean I comform to 'coolie carrier excuses' either. If I was dealt a crappy load, I called my dispatcher and bitched for a better one, or if I sat waiting on a load I would be calling every hour on the hour bugging him. I did this for Swift I hardly ever had a crappy load because I wouldn't do it. I easily averaged 3000 miles a week. I didn't do it just to bust my ass, I did it because I enjoy doing it, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.

There are too many complainers and cry babies out there, as well as way too many people not taking anything serious, or taking things too serious. This goes with it is what you make it. It is what you make it is not an excuse to just let people walk on you, it is a way of looking at life that whatever happens you use it to your advantage. I didn't let my dispatcher walk on me, if I didn't like what he was doing, I made sure to explain it to him and communicate my unhappyness or disagreement, and made damn sure some sort of resolve was found that we both agreed upon. That again is not the same as some who try to think their dispatcher works for them, as opposed to others who say you work for the dispatcher, although ultimately you do work for who you work for and do need to do what they ask, but with a good communication you can make it clear what you like and want, and work with your dispatcher instead of either A just hating their guts or B just being walked all over, that is making it what you make it.

Blah, blah, blah :roll:

So what was your point?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I actually "pondered" this question while driving today...July 4th...Independence Day, couldnt determine a good definition of a "Lifestyle" Trucker, but...
I found all the examples:
If you spend the "Major" Holidays (Christmas/Thanksgiving/TODAY) on the road or in a Truckstop. That would be a "lifestyle" trucker.
(Dang it. :x ...I was hoping not to be one :cry: )
Old 07-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
first off you cannot just say OTR trucking is just a job, because it is not. Yes it IS a job, but it is not your normal 9-5 40 hour a week job.
So what?

Quote:
You are living in a truck, even if you get home every weekend, you are still spending 5+ days in a truck. Now that is not to say that you are defined by it, but it is the job and the 'lifestyle' you chose.
I thought you just said it isn't a job....

Quote:
I don't live to work, nor do I work to live. I drive because I love most of the aspects of the 'lifestyle'. I love driving, I love traveling the country and seeing it, I even love the loner aspect to a degree.
You enjoy doing your job. Good for you. That doesn't mean it is a lifestyle.

Quote:
This does not mean I comform to 'coolie carrier excuses' either. If I was dealt a crappy load, I called my dispatcher and bitched for a better one, or if I sat waiting on a load I would be calling every hour on the hour bugging him. I did this for Swift I hardly ever had a crappy load because I wouldn't do it. I easily averaged 3000 miles a week. I didn't do it just to bust my ass, I did it because I enjoy doing it, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.
Then it clearly isn't a lifestyle for you, and it isn't "what you make of it".

Quote:

I give up. I made it halfway through your post and I just wanted to shoot myself.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Im sensing a fresh "Lifestyle" comic strip coming up.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Im sensing a fresh "Lifestyle" comic strip coming up.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Life style trucker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartenDrvrCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
I heard the phrase 'Lifestyle trucker' here at the forum,

What does it mean and what would be its opposite ?

What makes up a lifestyle trucker ?
Lifestyle driver too me is someone who doesnt have anything to offer conversation wise besides trucking.Someone who would rather hang around at the terminal than be home (if they do have one outside of the truck).Usually someone who is dirty. They wont pay for a shower but would rather spend money on chicken lights.Usually lifestayle drivers claim to be some sort of ex military or law enforcement,I believe they think this makes their mundane lives somewhat interesting too others.Someone who wears one of those giant ear head set cell phone thingys even when they arent talking too someone,I guess they think it shows ppl that theyre "hip and important".And maybe,just maybe possibly a mullet thrown in for good measure.

The opposite would be a driver who likes to get home,someone who works smarter not harder.Who realizes sacrificing years to a coolie carrier is worthless,and you will never get those years or MISSED memories back.Someone who drives to feed himself and family,not just to call himself a "truck driver".Someone who wants to get paid for the work they do? Thats just my contribution to this thread.Im sure belpre and lebron james will be here to pick up where i left off
You are so full of sh#t the whites of your eyes are turning brown.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?