LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Mel said that there might not be a merger because of all the unfair bullcrap concessions the fcc wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Who is Mel? Just curious!

Many of the concessions have been in negotiation between Sirius, XM, the FCC and DOJ (Dept. of Justice), not just some arbitrary B.S. with no backing.

Who was Mel?
Melvin Alan "Mel" Karmazin.

CEO/Director at
Sirius Satellite Radio, Incorporated
New York, New York
SERVICES / BROADCASTING - RADIO
Officer since November 2004
Director since November 2004 Financial data from Hemscott

64 years old

Mel Karmazin has served as our Chief Executive Officer and a member of our board of directors since November 2004. Prior to joining us, Mr. Karmazin was President and Chief Operating Officer and a member of the board of directors of Viacom Inc. from May 2000 until June 2004. Prior to joining Viacom, Mr. Karmazin was President and Chief Executive Officer of CBS Corporation from January 1999 and a director of CBS Corporation from 1997 until its merger with Viacom in May 2000. He was President and Chief Operating Officer of CBS Corporation from April 1998 through December 1998. Mr. Karmazin joined CBS Corporation in December 1996 as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CBS Radio and served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the CBS Station Group (Radio and Television) from May 1997 to April 1998. Prior to joining CBS Corporation, Mr. Karmazin served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Infinity Broadcasting Corporation from 1981 until its acquisition by CBS Corporation in December 1996. Mr. Karmazin served as Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Infinity from December 1998 until the merger of Infinity Broadcasting Corporation with Viacom in February 2001.

http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktgui...GuideId=557216

Clear that up?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog

Mel said that there might not be a merger because of all the unfair bullcrap concessions the fcc wants. such as GIVING as in no charge 20 percent of the channels to minorities and requiring all new receivers to get regular radio. and requiring a 3 year price freeze, because according to the fcc ,customers are so stupid that they will pay any price asked and we must be protected from ourselves..
Who is Mel? Just curious!

According to information released by XM and the FCC Daily Digest, the final sign off of the 4 FCC commissioners is complete, and the final document will be available for public viewing within the next few days.

Many of the concessions have been in negotiation between Sirius, XM, the FCC and DOJ (Dept. of Justice), not just some arbitrary B.S. with no backing. None of the information I have read from XM or the FCC says anything about free service to anyone. And as far as the Satellite receivers receiving regular (Earth Based) Radio, that would be a direct violation of the FCC's own regulations! And on top of that, would be something that Earth based stations have fought against since the beginning. Clear Channel for one does not want any of there already free and recently converted digital signals transmitted through the satellites, since the local advertising would have to be blocked. The services cannot be mixed! Now, there is nothing, as is being done now, to prevent a Regular Radio station to offer streaming thru the satellite service, but that is part of the service package, as is done now with several stations on both XM and Sirius!

There may be some delay with the combined radios, but I think that is just a marketing tactic to sell off the current inventory of the fixed service radios currently available. An acquaintance that works for Delphi, has stated that the mixed service receiver testing is finished, and the units can be ready for production on a moments notice, once all the official documents are signed, notarized and delivered!

Who was Mel?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...44431414.shtml
Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Board Regular

I work for Armstrong Relocation( United) out of Carrllotton, Texas
Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122

Clear that up?
Ok, Thanks! So Mel is the one that agreed to pay Howard Stearn and Martha Stewart 10 times more than they were worth! I get it now! Thanks!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

U95! Good place. I was there not too long ago. Teal95KW worked there for a while too. Is Brad your dispatcher?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

Clear that up?
Ok, Thanks! So Mel is the one that agreed to pay Howard Stearn and Martha Stewart 10 times more than they were worth! I get it now! Thanks!
:wink:

Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Board Regular

Ya 095 thats right, it is a good place but my dispatch is a guy named Harrison out of OKC,Ok but working on getting that changed!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

Clear that up?

yea, the same guy they called stupid for bringing the superbowl to nbc, too expensive they said.. never make any money they said well I think maybe they were wrong. I dont know anyone who gives a crap about Martha, but if Howard hadn't signed, there would be no sirius now. just maybe Mel knows what he is doing. who is the multi-millionare, you or him??
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

1) Cellphone
2) gallon of drinking water
3) cans of food like vegs, tuna etc... for emergency
4) rainsuit
5) depending on season: long-underwear, sleeping bag, winter clothes with hat and mittens. I dont carry a winter coat. instead I use my gor-tex rain coat with a fleece vest and light thinsilite work jacket. The gloves are also gor-tex as are the rain paints. The pants i carry in the winter are flannel lined carharts. Many guys I know buy a pair of lined carhart bibs and roll them up under the bunk "just in case"
6) extra pair of work gloves
7) money for laundry, soda/coffee etc...
8) basic set of wrenches/sockets. I bought a cheap set in a plastic carry case at walmarts for about $10
9) duct tape HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
10) sharp knife or exacto knive
11) extra gallon of anti-freeze/oil and windshield wiper fluid
12) windshield wiper fluid and paper towels for inside of the truck. I've taken to a bottle of all-purpose cleaner for the windows/walls/floor etc.
13) small broom to sweep dirt off the floor
14) book to read on your off time or when waiting at a customer
15) extra headlite and a couple of turn/marker lites if the company will give them to you. You can usually finagle one or two out of the shop
16) tire guage. Check your tires every day. This will save you much heartache on the road if your tire blows out in the middle of no-where on a holiday. I learned my lesson the hardway.
17) calculator for figureing your logbook hours. Do not count on your in the head adding skills, you will make a mistake. trust me and it might cost you money at a scale.
18) Trucker Road Atlas. Saw some Rand ones on sale at Pilot for $4.99 this week. I bought 2. Also, a truckstop atlas is very handy.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp
1) Cellphone
2) gallon of drinking water
3) cans of food like vegs, tuna etc... for emergency
4) rainsuit
5) depending on season: long-underwear, sleeping bag, winter clothes with hat and mittens. I dont carry a winter coat. instead I use my gor-tex rain coat with a fleece vest and light thinsilite work jacket. The gloves are also gor-tex as are the rain paints. The pants i carry in the winter are flannel lined carharts. Many guys I know buy a pair of lined carhart bibs and roll them up under the bunk "just in case"
6) extra pair of work gloves
7) money for laundry, soda/coffee etc...
8) basic set of wrenches/sockets. I bought a cheap set in a plastic carry case at walmarts for about $10
9) duct tape HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
10) sharp knife or exacto knive
11) extra gallon of anti-freeze/oil and windshield wiper fluid
12) windshield wiper fluid and paper towels for inside of the truck. I've taken to a bottle of all-purpose cleaner for the windows/walls/floor etc.
13) small broom to sweep dirt off the floor
14) book to read on your off time or when waiting at a customer
15) extra headlite and a couple of turn/marker lites if the company will give them to you. You can usually finagle one or two out of the shop
16) tire guage. Check your tires every day. This will save you much heartache on the road if your tire blows out in the middle of no-where on a holiday. I learned my lesson the hardway.
17) calculator for figureing your logbook hours. Do not count on your in the head adding skills, you will make a mistake. trust me and it might cost you money at a scale.
18) Trucker Road Atlas. Saw some Rand ones on sale at Pilot for $4.99 this week. I bought 2. Also, a truckstop atlas is very handy.

add a bottle of brake line anti-freeze to your winter list..