User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Turnover Rate

The turnover rate is purposely caused by the companies in order to keep drivers at the low end of the pay scale.....thus higher profits for the company. Plain and simple.

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I was in Carney's Point at the Flying J yesterday.
And another thing...most people don't want to spend their summertime Saturdays at the Carney Point hook...one of the shittiest truckstops in fricking New Jersey...which if it ain't the asshole of the world, then it's a good farting distance close enough.

That's the problem right there. You're a lifestyle trucker and you just can't comprehend why someone would not want to hobo around for what the job pays.

How much money is worth spending nights, weekends, and holidays at the Carney Point hook away from family and friends? A helluva lot more than $40k if you ask me...
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
I was in Carney's Point at the Flying J yesterday.
And another thing...most people don't want to spend their summertime Saturdays at the Carney Point hook...one of the shittiest truckstops in fricking New Jersey...which if it ain't the asshole of the world, then it's a good farting distance close enough.

That's the problem right there. You're a lifestyle trucker and you just can't comprehend why someone would not want to hobo around for what the job pays.

How much money is worth spending nights, weekends, and holidays at the Carney Point hook away from family and friends? A helluva lot more than $40k if you ask me...
You speak the truth. Dead on.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Performance pay is OK until the wheels stop rolling because there's no freight or something on the truck/trailer breaks down or you're sitting at a dock, in traffic, Blue Beacon, fuel island, PM, doing inspections, scaling loads, dropping/hooking trailers, etc, etc, etc. Than you ain't making jack.
Exactly why these outfits pay CPM! Biggest scam going. The CPM scam simply diverts losses from inefficient operations and bad business practices to the driver.

I'll never turn another wheel for CPM. No freebies, no way!!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "LeBron James
All time spent on the job should be compensated. All time working past the 8th/40th hour should be overtime. Anything else is uncivilized...
Werd.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Board Regular

[quote="belpre122"]
Quote:
Exactly why these outfits pay CPM! Biggest scam going. The CPM scam simply diverts losses from inefficient operations and bad business practices to the driver.

Ya know, this kind of thinking just kills me...

How do you think the carrier gets paid? What do their rates depend on? Paid by the MILE. OTR rates are very competitive, and their rates are based on a calculated cost PER MILE to run the truck, plus a small amount of profit. How much profit? Not much. My company makes an average of $25 per load, after all the bills are paid. This includes paying the driver, fuel, wear and tear, insurance, depreciation, break downs, maintenence, etc.

So, with that low of a margin, how can the average carrier AFFORD to pay drivers by the hour, when production isn't optimal? If that were the case, with OTR rates being what they are, every time a traffic jam happened, the companies would lose a fortune...and eventually go out of business! Now, all the b!tching drivers complianing about thier paycheck are on unemployment.

Much better, right?

In the first quarter of this year, more than 1,000 carriers (more than 5 trucks) shut their doors for good. Poor fiscal management destroys companies, familes, and lives. You CAN'T ask for more than can be given.

On edit:

Seems that the vast majority of people, both in this industry and out, are concerned with only one thing. Money.

They are obsessed by it, being ruled by the absolute necessity to get the most money they can for the least amount of time put in to earn that money. Money this...money that...

I tell ya what...if you don't ENJOY what you are doing...it just isn't worth it. ESPECIALLY driving a truck. Don't be ruled by the dollar...much better to worry about finding a job you can be HAPPY doing...
Old 06-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="TomB985"][quote="belpre122"]
Quote:

Quote:
Ya know, this kind of thinking just kills me...
Quote:
My company makes an average of $25 per load, after all the bills are paid.
They will be out of business soon.

Quote:
If that were the case, with OTR rates being what they are, every time a traffic jam happened, the companies would lose a fortune.
So the drivers should work for free to protect the companies fortune?

Quote:
Seems that the vast majority of people, both in this industry and out, are concerned with only one thing. Money.
Its called business

Quote:
They are obsessed by it, being ruled by the absolute necessity to get the most money they can for the least amount of time put in to earn that money.
Thats called working efficient
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
In the first quarter of this year, more than 1,000 carriers (more than 5 trucks) shut their doors for good.
Survival of the fittest is healthy to the industry. Good riddance to those coolie carriers.

I respect your opinions Tom. I wish, however, that you would take a moment to review your post and see that it mostly affirms my position.

Irregular-route coolie OTR trucking is a thing of the past. Especially the long haul aspect. INEFFICIENCY INEFFICIENCY.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When a driver is paid by the hour he isn't necessarily paid what he is worth. Some could be underpaid for their effort while others are over paid. I think everyone should be paid on performance, regardless of what they do for a living. When you are paid to produce there is an incentive for you to find better ways to do your job. There is also an incentive to get the work done in a timely manner. One of my biggest complaints with unions is the lack of incentive for the worker. In fact, there seems to be an incentive to be unproductive. I have heard a lot of workers over the years complain about the company making all the money and not giving a fair share to the workers. That is why I like percentage pay. The worker can share in the profits based upon their efforts. I think we would be much better off, as a nation, if we got rid of the hourly pay. It doesn't necessarily compensate people for their efforts. When a company pays on percentage or piece work they can better forecast costs. When a worker is paid percentage or piece work then he has an incentive to work harder. If he wants to earn more money then all he has to do is produce more. The guy who wants to sit on his hands won't make as much because he is not as motivated to work. Of course, he will complain. The guy who produces will be too busy to complain. He is the guy who will likely wind up running the company one day. That is the way with mileage pay. The more miles a driver turns the bigger his paycheck. What could be more fair?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
. What could be more fair?

I like the deal the teachers have. Paid all holidays, storm days, sick days, summer vacation 10 weeks, meeting paid ,paid benefits, retirement. Weekends off, no nights, 8 hrs work.

They should be on production pay also. Any students don't pass the teacher shouldn't get paid....just a little incentive to motivate those teachers,,right Gman