LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Some people are not comfortable working without supervision.
We agree on that G. Not only are they not comfortable working without supervision, they are mostly incapable of working without supervision. Exactly the types that need to be purged from the industry. Lack of supervision is one of the perks of the job that is often lost because of the actions of the hobo/drifter types that are attracted to the trucking industry.

The current industry shake-up couldn't have come at a better time. As the Rev. is known to correctly say, 'there never was a driver shortage.' Just the undesirables/drifters hopping from job to job, hunting that (nonexistent) golden egg within the coolie carrier industry. 100%++ turnover for these type companies. Name another industry/occupation (excepting fast food) that even comes close to that number?

Not ironically, it is these same coolie carriers that are suffering the most right now. The "Hail Mary!" logistics practices that enabled these cut-rate outfits to survive are now not only impractical, but unthinkable.

It won't be long until a 'big fish' coolie carrier goes belly up. They are hemorrhaging now from the same wasteful logistics ideologies that they thrived on only months ago. The larger the coolie carrier, the less chance that they will be able to overcome their attachment to the "inefficient" business model. Their own worst enemy, so to speak. As inefficiency was their mantra. It may well be too late for many of these coolie carrier outfits.

We can only watch and hope.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
but there's no line haul opp. for a student and i dont want to start at the bottom doing pick up and deliveries... the only other option i have is a grocery haulers position with supervalu going to the baltimore/dc and tidewater area, which i'm taking in consideration but haven't really decided...(?)
Quote:
Like i keep saying i dont want to do OTR i don't!!! its my last damn option!!! (see above)i've searched and searched for local and regional positions and all have come back negative(?) if i have to i will do a year, get the experience, turn 22 and see what other options are in my area for a local driver... if nothing i do it for another year or until $%@^ opens up!!
Is it just me?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

It's a lifestyle.[/quote]

Trucking is JOB, Hugh Hefner has a lifestyle.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
all i'm saying is that he's not a lifestyle trucker unlike GMAN and others who are...
Do you consider yourself a "lifestyle trucker" GMAN?

I consider myself a businessman. What is a "lifestyle trucker?"
Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Board Icon

Quote:

I consider myself a businessman. What is a "lifestyle trucker?"
See Hawkjr for a definition. :lol:
Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Some people are not comfortable working without supervision.
We agree on that G. Not only are they not comfortable working without supervision, they are mostly incapable of working without supervision. Exactly the types that need to be purged from the industry. Lack of supervision is one of the perks of the job that is often lost because of the actions of the hobo/drifter types that are attracted to the trucking industry.
This lack of supervision is one of the primary reasons why hourly pay will not work with otr drivers.

Quote:

The current industry shake-up couldn't have come at a better time. As the Rev. is known to correctly say, 'there never was a driver shortage.' Just the undesirables/drifters hopping from job to job, hunting that (nonexistent) golden egg within the coolie carrier industry. 100%++ turnover for these type companies. Name another industry/occupation (excepting fast food) that even comes close to that number?

I agree that much of the turnover we see in the industry is from those moving from one carrier to another. There are too many who will switch jobs for a penny more per mile. At the end of the year they are probably not any better off than they would have been had they stayed at their previous job. Many leave due to not being able to get their way. Most carriers will try to get drivers home as needed. However, this is otr and it could be difficult to ALWAYS get someone home when they need to be there. There are also drivers who only want to run in a particular area. If the company doesn't keep them in that area, they move to the next carrier. The thing I see most is that there are drivers who always want things their own way. When you work for someone, you need to do things the way that they want. If you want to do things your own way then you need to buy a truck and run your own authority.

Quote:

Not ironically, it is these same coolie carriers that are suffering the most right now. The "Hail Mary!" logistics practices that enabled these cut-rate outfits to survive are now not only impractical, but unthinkable.

It won't be long until a 'big fish' coolie carrier goes belly up. They are hemorrhaging now from the same wasteful logistics ideologies that they thrived on only months ago. The larger the coolie carrier, the less chance that they will be able to overcome their attachment to the "inefficient" business model. Their own worst enemy, so to speak. As inefficiency was their mantra. It may well be too late for many of these coolie carrier outfits.

We can only watch and hope.

It isn't just the large carriers who are in trouble. There are many small operators who are also in trouble. I would not be surprised to see some of the larger carriers go belly up. You may see them merge to avoid going out of business.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartenDrvrCA
Quote:
People don't stay in this profession unless they enjoy it.[/b] This can be a very demanding business. A possible big paycheck will attract people to the industry, but money by itself will not keep drivers in a profession in which they are unhappy.
I have to disagree with you there GMAN.So what are you saying,a man is going to give up his sole means of supporting his family because he doesnt "enjoy" how he is doing it?Id have to disagree on that one.I know alot of drivers who would rather be doing something else,but feel trapped. Its not an easy transition to getting out.Alot of people come into this industry with a game plan to be doing something else after "x" amount of years,but as time passes by,you look around you and all your posessions are in this lil 8x10 box.You cant really actively pursue another job because youre either driving or thousands of miles away from home.So the easiest thing for you too do and the most convenient thing for you too do is just keep truckin.Almost somewhat trapped.Especially if you have no plan "b" or family who will support your decision to pursue another career.Especially if a driver has people back at home who depend on his income,I highly doubt he is going to up and leave because he doesnt "enjoy" his job.

If someone wants to do something else they will find a way. There is a high percentage of drivers who drop out during the first year. If you want to get out of trucking and find something else to do then you need to develop a plan to do it. You could take college classes on line. There are quite a few that I have seen the last few years who are pursuing a degree in this manner. Drivers have time that they waste while on the road. Rather than watching TV or getting on the internet, you could take a class or start looking for a different job. There are thousands of jobs you can check out online. We find a way to do something if we really want it badly enough. There isn't a chain attached to your steering wheel. You are free to leave at any time. The argument about not being able to afford to leave doesn't wash with those who complain about the low pay. It can't be both. There are plenty of jobs out here. You don't have to stay in trucking. I think the problem lies in paying your dues. When you change professions, there are some basics in which you will need to learn. For instance, you could get into fast food management. The down side is that you will need to start at the bottom to learn the business before you will be put into a position of responsibility. Line people don't make that much money, but managers make a good wage. There are manufacturing jobs, distribution and many other positions that are in need of good people. You could drive a forklift and load trucks rather than drive them. There are options. You don't need to stay in a job in which you are not happy.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartenDrvrCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
I gave up my local job because I didn't enjoy it. Worked for the same guy for 11 years and this spring decided I wanted to try hauling oversize stuff. Almost 3 months later and I wish I would have done this years ago. I did my research and found a company that was a good fit for me. Is it more difficult being away from home? Yes. Do I regret it? No. Just as the ltl guys can't see why a driver would put up with being in an 8x10 box I can't see driving the same route day after day, that isn't for me. As far as what drivers are making if you aren't happy with what or how you are paid change jobs.
So even though you didnt enjoy it,it took you 11 years to leave..That was the point I was making
I reread my post and shouldn't have said that I didn't enjoy it. I worked for a small four truck fleet where the emploees were treated like family. The only problem was that I had that itch to try something. Spring of 07 I told my wife that I wanted to try something different. It took about 7 months working on it a little bit at a time to find a company that I thought was what I was looking for. I started with a list and crossed names off as I found out more about each one. The hardest part was finding drivers to talk to. Recruiters will tell you what is writen down for them but drivers for the most part will be straight with you. I also came to the conclusion that I wanted to start my new job this spring so that I would have the nicer times of the year to get aquainted to this new style of trucking. I would rather learn to tarp something in the summer then try to start out doing it in the winter. Maybe I am different because I didn't change jobs because I wasn't making enough money or didn't feel appreciated or was treated like crap. I changed jobs because I had that burning desire to try something new. If I failed at it or not was going to be up to me.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Life is too short to work at a job that you don't enjoy. If you don't enjoy driving for a living, find something else that you like and do it. You will be happier and will probably excel at it more than trucking.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I love driving all across the USA a truck...probably would not be good at anything else.

But there is always this creepy feeling that these companies

really don't like us drivers.

But then it could be just my imagination ...who knows