User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advise to newbies from a newbie...

I am probably going to take a lot of heat for this post by the old guys on this board with this post but oh well. I have only had my cdl for a little over a year and have only 5 months otr and 6 months local. I worked for Schneider otr and Coca Cola local and I can tell you that both have things I didn’t like as well as things I did but neither one is perfect. No company in the world is perfect and there will always be someone who hates them and someone who loves them. I have read all about how bad all these trucking companies are and I’m sure they all have problems but they are in the business to make money and that’s the bottom line. The way the economy is and it’s only getting worse, the days of the mom and pop companies and being treated like family are just about over. I’m sure some drivers have hooked up with a good family oriented company in the past and maybe they are still there but in the future these companies will be gobbled up by the giants. As for the newbie’s on here looking for some good advise, stop reading this b/s on here. You need to decide what’s best for you and find a company that fits your needs period. If I told you what I thought about Coca Cola you would not even apply but there are drivers there with 18+ years. Schneider has 12000 or so drivers and there are only a few hundred on these boards so you figure it out. Not all drivers post messages and not all drivers are being screwed by there companies. I’m sure there are some who are happy and making a decent living? I’m going back otr next week and have it narrowed down to 3 companies and yes everything I read here on all 3 are negative but I have to decide what’s best for me. I have personal reasons for my decision to go back otr and I may be making a mistake but it will be my mistake.We are all different individuals and our experiences, likes and dis-likes are different. I know I will have to start at the bottom and a large company feels better to me than small now. The major factor I used in deciding who to start back otr with is the dang bus ride to orientation. 2 of the 3 will take me over 26 hrs and I can drive 2hrs to the 3rd. I will be back in a few months after I get settled in and let everyone know what mean monster of a company I choose and how bad they are treating me. Until then I hope all new drivers read this and stop getting there job hunting advise from here and make your own informed decisions. The internet and yes the truckstops and talking to drivers works alot better than reading all this negitive b/s. If you only research here you will be to scared to ever apply anywhere. Good luck….
Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Advise to newbies from a newbie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptp88
The major factor I used in deciding who to start back otr with is the dang bus ride to orientation. 2 of the 3 will take me over 26 hrs and I can drive 2hrs to the 3rd.
Let's just wrap this thread up right here.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 PM

How is talking to drivers at the truck stop or cb any different than here?

As for everything you hear, you take it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 PM

I think what he means is that, you get a better answer from the driver that works for that company rather than someone that has never driven for the company. I know this thread is not going anywhere, been there done that too many times. If someone asked me what i thought of my company i'd tell em the truth, why make it look good when its not.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member

It all boils down to finding a carrier
where you can get decent weekly miles
and make a living.

(And a decent truck with a Tri Pac system ) :mrgreen:
Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I am probably going to take a lot of heat for this post by the old guys on this board with this post but oh well. I have only had my cdl for a little over a year and have only 5 months otr and 6 months local. I worked for Schneider otr and Coca Cola local and I can tell you that both have things I didn’t like as well as things I did but neither one is perfect. No company in the world is perfect and there will always be someone who hates them and someone who loves them. I have read all about how bad all these trucking companies are and I’m sure they all have problems but they are in the business to make money and that’s the bottom line. The way the economy is and it’s only getting worse, the days of the mom and pop companies and being treated like family are just about over. I’m sure some drivers have hooked up with a good family oriented company in the past and maybe they are still there but in the future these companies will be gobbled up by the giants. As for the newbie’s on here looking for some good advise, stop reading this b/s on here. You need to decide what’s best for you and find a company that fits your needs period. If I told you what I thought about Coca Cola you would not even apply but there are drivers there with 18+ years. Schneider has 12000 or so drivers and there are only a few hundred on these boards so you figure it out. Not all drivers post messages and not all drivers are being screwed by there companies. I’m sure there are some who are happy and making a decent living? I’m going back otr next week and have it narrowed down to 3 companies and yes everything I read here on all 3 are negative but I have to decide what’s best for me. I have personal reasons for my decision to go back otr and I may be making a mistake but it will be my mistake.We are all different individuals and our experiences, likes and dis-likes are different. I know I will have to start at the bottom and a large company feels better to me than small now. The major factor I used in deciding who to start back otr with is the dang bus ride to orientation. 2 of the 3 will take me over 26 hrs and I can drive 2hrs to the 3rd. I will be back in a few months after I get settled in and let everyone know what mean monster of a company I choose and how bad they are treating me. Until then I hope all new drivers read this and stop getting there job hunting advise from here and make your own informed decisions. The internet and yes the truckstops and talking to drivers works alot better than reading all this negitive b/s. If you only research here you will be to scared to ever apply anywhere. Good luck….
I have to agree! For the most part you need to judge the company yourself. What might not be good for me just might be awesome for you!

I get your point plan and clear.

It's like starting a new job and someone just has to say so and so is a itch and so and so is an alchy. Well let that new person make their own judgement, it sure make you look better by not saying that stuff to a new person. I guess it's related somewhat the same.
The new person just might be best friends with that "itch" because she found she isn't such an itch (get my point :roll: )
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat6869
I get your point plan and clear.

It's like starting a new job and someone just has to say so and so is a itch and so and so is an alchy. Well let that new person make their own judgement, it sure make you look better by not saying that stuff to a new person. I guess it's related somewhat the same.
The new person just might be best friends with that "itch" because she found she isn't such an itch (get my point :roll: )
Am I high?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am probably going to take a lot of heat for this post by the old guys on this board with this post but oh well....
Now why in God's good Name would you think that?! :lol:

We all live by our decision-making abilities. I (for one) applaud you for arriving at your conclusion. Time will tell if you've made the right one. If so -- GREAT! If not -- learn from your mistake and keep on truckin'!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat6869
...The new person just might be best friends with that "itch" because she found she isn't such an itch (get my point :roll: )
Not really. :lol:

No offense Cat6869, but I'm starting to scratch....
Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...+year+itch&r=f

Quote:
1. seven year itch
love it 25 up, 4 down hate it

The claim that a man will or has the urge to cheat around the 7th year of his marriage.
Is that the sort of 'itch' she refers to?