User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptp88
The major factor I used in deciding who to start back otr with is the dang bus ride to orientation. 2 of the 3 will take me over 26 hrs and I can drive 2hrs to the 3rd

I hope all new drivers read this and stop getting there job hunting advise from here
Yes sir, you are right. No one should listen to you concerning job hunting advice.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Advise to newbies from a newbie...

Quote:
I have only 5 months otr and 6 months local...I’m going back otr next week and have it narrowed down to 3 companies.
Not even a year under your belt and you're already on your third company?

Quote:
Schneider has 12000 or so drivers and there are only a few hundred on these boards so you figure it out.
60% average churn rate means they burn through 7,200 drivers per year. Which is why, despite the economy in the dumpster, I hear Wayne Lubner on the radio everyday looking for drivers.

Quote:
The major factor I used in deciding who to start back otr with is the bus ride to orientation.
So I guess pay, bennies, and hometime had nothing to do with it? Hell, you didn't even go for the big red rooster cruiser behind door number 4!

Quote:
Until then I hope all new drivers read this and stop getting there job hunting advise from here and make your own informed decisions.
Yeah, instead get your career counseling from a guy who's bounced around 3 outfits in less than a year.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Advise to newbies from a newbie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
I have only 5 months otr and 6 months local...I’m going back otr next week and have it narrowed down to 3 companies.

Quote:
Schneider has 12000 or so drivers and there are only a few hundred on these boards so you figure it out.
60% average churn rate means they burn through 7,200 drivers per year. Which is why, despite the economy in the dumpster, I hear Wayne Lubner on the radio everyday looking for drivers.

Quote:
The major factor I used in deciding who to start back otr with is the bus ride to orientation.
So I guess pay, bennies, and hometime had nothing to do with it? Hell, you didn't even go for the big red rooster cruiser behind door number 4!

Quote:
Until then I hope all new drivers read this and stop getting there job hunting advise from here and make your own informed decisions.
Yeah, instead get your career counseling from a guy who's bounced around 3 outfits in less than a year.
game......set.........match................... 8)

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Board Regular

The only difference between many of the OTR companies is the color of the truck. You'll hire on with the company that provides you with the path of least resistance.

That's your definition of least resistance. Right?

You might not make it because you're not cut out for it. You might not make it because you rub or get rubbed the wrong way. Or, you could make it, for any number of reasons . .

The best advice you'll find here is: DO NOT SIGN ON TO A COMPANY FLEECE! That message is repeated unanimously throughout this and many other boards. Some folks don't survive the OTR training and plenty don't make it 3 - 6 - 9 weeks or months. The last thing you need is a binding commitment to a business you want to be out of yesterday.

I put up with our "uncool" counterparts because they're right. There is plenty of room for improvement. We need to make OTR more equitable for Drivers. But I don't disparage the uncool. I wouldn't trade places in a hundred years . . for today at least. I might wake up tomorrow and say "I think I'll switch to local" or I may wake up in the Virgin River Canyon on my way to Vegas and think there is no place on earth I would rather be.

Whatever floats your boat.

I'm happy for you. You've seen a little of this and you've seen a little of that. For the time being, you're coming back for a little more of this. I hope it works out wherever you settle.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

even tho i'm bout to have to due a year of otr trucking and hear people like lebron CFM and mackman bury it every single day.. DAMN!! Lebron that was like vicious dunk the real lebron would do over some one like jordan farmar.. a rookie who just poppin off... but damn that was brutal!!! kid he you have a point and he does... taking advice from a guy on his third company in a year is kind of mind boggling... but he does have a point about listening to guys on hear bout companies they have never driven for...
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
even tho i'm bout to have to due a year of otr trucking
why do you have to do OTR trucking???

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Board Regular

Indeed, likely because he signed a year contract.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

no i didn't sign no type of contract.... due to where i live in the state of virginia and also due to the type of trucking i want to get into one day (lumber hauling) roehl flatbed division is the only one i really seems i could put up with and jet.. no where near making it into a career with them.. with all due respect to the LTL guys and Beverage Haulers, i dont want to go down that line of trucking cause it wasn't the type i grew up around, if it was all about the money i'm pretty sure LTL is the way to go, but there's no line haul opp. for a student and i dont want to start at the bottom doing pick up and deliveries... the only other option i have is a grocery haulers position with supervalu going to the baltimore/dc and tidewater area, which i'm taking in consideration but haven't really decided... i'm 21 with no kids or nothing so just saving my money for a year and while my lady at college going otr doesn't really bother me.. taking showers at truck stops while doing otr do!!! lol but if something magical doesn't happen, like a nice position with a local lumber company or hell even tyson foods.. more than likely i'll be doing OTR for a year!! not excited about, not sad about it.. but i just know it is what it is..
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
eptp88 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I bounced around because I read this B/S you put out and when something went wrong I thought oh no here it comes. The fact is I'm 41 yrs old. I spent 4 years in the Air Force 84-88 (went to basic at 17 yrs old), 19 years at a prison with the State of Georgia 88-07 (working) and then Schneider and Coke 07-08. I bet if you told the truth you have had way more jobs in you life than me. So career counseling from a man that has had 4 jobs in 24 years is probally not a bad thing.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member