User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner claims

Okay, Werner web site says average annual gross pay for a driver with less than one year experience is $37,306.

Can I take that to the bank? Has Werner done its figuring in a deceptive way to disguise the real average? Or are they just lying?

Also, Werner claims (on the web site again) that paperless logs make the whole system more efficient; the upshot being that drivers have fewer paperwork worries and more money.

I'd love to hear from the Werner drivers on this.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 PM

No suppose you missed a week work! now its changed! :shock: Thats an example if your lazy and need to be home every other weekend now its changed!! :shock: Paperless is less work for driver and if you dont write neat than you need paperless!! :P
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Werner claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcannon
Okay, Werner web site says average annual gross pay for a driver with less than one year experience is $37,306.

Can I take that to the bank? Has Werner done its figuring in a deceptive way to disguise the real average? Or are they just lying?

Also, Werner claims (on the web site again) that paperless logs make the whole system more efficient; the upshot being that drivers have fewer paperwork worries and more money.

I'd love to hear from the Werner drivers on this.
There's a thread here about a guy making $350.00\week at Werner. His dispatcher is threatening to fire him for idling the truck...even tho he's sitting around alot waiting on loads.

Why would you even consider this company?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Paper logs are easier than paperless logs. God forbid you have to actually think and utilize your brain for about 4 seconds though.

It really doesn't take any less time to punch in a few numbers on the Quallcomm than it does to draw a line on your paper log. Plus, your paperless log doesn't allow you to manipulate your log in any way (even in legal ways), so you'll lose money that way.

I really see no benefit to paperless logs.

I ran for Werner for 6 months when I got my start. They'll get you all over the country, that's about the only good I can say for them. They're one of the most unsafe carriers in the business and will put you in an unsafe truck. Don't like it? Want a better truck? You'll be sitting in that hotel for a while waiting.

Werner is a starter company, period. I can't see anyone running for them for more than 6 months.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

rodcannon....The average on the website may or may not be deceptive. Its a recruiting tool. To many variables will play into the equation as to wether you make more or less than that number. The division you are in, whether you run regional/48 state/or dedicated. But the biggest variable will be how efficient your Load Planner and Fleet Manager (Dispatcher) are at keeping you moving. Other variables would be influenced outside of Werner and unique to all trucking. Availablity of freight, delays of all types etc. Dedicated accounts will probably give you the best pay. Werner has many.
I run dedicated for Werner, been with them 6yrs and have always made alot more than the number posted on the website.

Regarding Paperless logs. Everybody is going to have their own opinion on there use. They do aid in the ability of dispatching you more efficiently. However, you as the driver must be very conciensious of your time management, especially as you are new to the system and adapting to it. Not having to maintain a paperlog does relieve some time from the driver. You cannot manipulate the log to favor you..ie run illegal...in anyway. However the driver does have direct input as to correct errors. Whether the driver will "lose money that way" would be very debateable.

Regarding Werner trucks...I have seen some in real bad shape and Ive seen many in very good shape. My opinion, most situations its the driver that runs the truck into the ground and fails to have mechanical issues taken care of when they occurr. I have never had any issues with Werner taking care of the truck when they are appraised of the problem. I will admit thought, the Road breakdown department can be very difficult to get through to when you must have the truck worked on while on the road.
Ive never really had any major issues with Werner. Any problems I have had are unique to any company in the trucking industry.
Im not plugging Werner to attempt to convince you to sign on with them. Just trying to balance the playing field. You will find postive and negatives in any company.
If you do go with Werner I would suggest you get on with a good dedicated account.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

(double post)
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Board Regular

The main reason I don't want paperless logs is that I don't want to have to take my 10 hr break 30 miles from my house. :/
the computer clock is relentless.
say, for example, you are parked at a consignee the night before.
then, you get up, move your truck into the dock, and wait, oh, 4 hours to get loaded.
now, as soon as you move that truck, the clock starts.
so then you have 10 hours from when you docked to get as far as you can.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Do the math gentlemen..... pay/cpm=miles needed to run

$37,306 average pay
.29 cpm average cpm
128,641 miles in a year (ummm okay)

For every average number that is posted, half of the fleet is above and half is below.

:lol:
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Rookie

i started with werner back in 1999 and i ran the road for 3 months and then went to southeast regional for 6 months and then on to a dedicated account.my first year with werner i made $48,000 and the last 2 years with them i made in the upper $50's.i found its up to you on what you make,i ran my a## off and did not complain,the reason i left is because i found another job with ceva logistica hauling honda car parts which paid more and had excellent home time.i think the money you make is all up to you.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeetle

For every average number that is posted, half of the fleet is above and half is below.

:lol:
Not in the trucking industry. If they claim an "average", that is likely somewhere near the top pay.