User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OWNER OPERATORS

I'm a driver that wants to earn a honest buck. And want to learn from a owner operator. So, Is there a website for owner operators to find potential co-drivers. If so, what is the link...THANK YOU FOR THE INFO...I APPRECIATE IT
Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 AM

Personally, I think it's a great idea. But then, I'm a newbie and I think ANYTHING that improves my chances for getting a good job is a great idea.

From the O/O point of view.. to be honest, I rather doubt they have a lot of trouble filling seats. Just a guess on my part, but that's the way I'd lean.

Check with local CDL schools, though - and check the paper
Old 05-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: OWNER OPERATORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployeddriver
I'm a driver that wants to earn a honest buck. And want to learn from a owner operator. So, Is there a website for owner operators to find potential co-drivers. If so, what is the link...THANK YOU FOR THE INFO...I APPRECIATE IT
Sure is, this one! Just goto http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...b7bfea52ad2ec2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
Personally, I think it's a great idea. But then, I'm a newbie and I think ANYTHING that improves my chances for getting a good job is a great idea.

From the O/O point of view.. to be honest, I rather doubt they have a lot of trouble filling seats. Just a guess on my part, but that's the way I'd lean.

Check with local CDL schools, though - and check the paper
I would love to hire a newbie and not have to un-teach him things but unfortunately my insurance company thinks differently. I just can't afford the extra expense they want for a new driver. How do the big guys do it? They have huge well documented training programs and some even self insure.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
I would love to hire a newbie and not have to un-teach him things but unfortunately my insurance company thinks differently. I just can't afford the extra expense they want for a new driver.
I'm curious - can you tell me about how much the insurance is for a new driver - at least from an O/O point of view?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
I'm curious - can you tell me about how much the insurance is for a new driver - at least from an O/O point of view?
I have had 2 situations where I attempted to hire a newer driver.

1. My agent simply said no. Suggested I search for another provider.
2. IIRC it was going to be almost twice what I pay for myself or almost $20,000 a year. This was several years ago so the numbers are a bit fuzzy.

Once I make payments on the equipment and insurance and make payroll there would just not be enough money in it for the risk associated.