User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default split logging

hello every one this jimbo i am starting a new job next week finally.im gonna be running northeast and the midatlantic states.does anyone have any opinions on wether its better to split log or just run your eleven and take ten off.im asking becouse in the four years i have driven i dont ever remember having to split my log.ive look at how to do it online i almost think i understand it but it looks like it could get confusing the more you use it.i for one, and any body can tell me if im wrong but wouldnt it be easier just to take the xtra 2 hours and stayput for the solid ten hour sleepr.then you always have a solid ten hours to run.versus doing the split log where sometimes depnding how you do it you could have less hours available each time.the 2 hour split doesnt really give me much time to do anything it usually takes me that long to fall a sleep.so itd just be spent awake anyways.so to me i think drive 10 to 11 hours and take ten slper then that gives you a solid 11 hours back running and a fresh 14. id apreciate any advice from veteran drivers or anyone else that has done a lot of split logging and have any idea which is better to do.thanks jimbo
Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I definitely recommend just taking a 10 hour break. Splitting up the resting time can really mess things up sometimes. I've only split once since they revised the rules and I ended up doing it wrong. I always just show a 10 hour break no matter what. My company recommend to that everyone not split, it causes havoc in the safety department when auditing logs. They end up with a lot of drivers with a lot of violations. 8) 8)
Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
I definitely recommend just taking a 10 hour break. Splitting up the resting time can really mess things up sometimes. I've only split once since they revised the rules and I ended up doing it wrong. I always just show a 10 hour break no matter what. My company recommend to that everyone not split, it causes havoc in the safety department when auditing logs. They end up with a lot of drivers with a lot of violations. 8) 8)
I second that
Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Rookie
Default thanks

thanks for taking the time to respond i cant remember ever splitlogging in my four years of driving i always did 10 off it restarts everything with out a hassle. so far all the site i posted on pretty much say the same thing avoid it. the company im going to gave me a couple of copies of of split logging so i thaught that might be how there drivers do it well i like my way never got a log violation.i did go to a couple of sites that show how to do it and sometimes you end up with only a few hours left to drive before you need to stop.i prefer to do the driving all at once then then take ten.thanks again
Old 05-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I concur. 99.99% of the time split logging is more trouble than it is worth with the way it is written now.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Board Regular

i can say that i have never done it..........reason being, i havent the slightest idea and it is more hassle....i can always find a way to fit a 10 hr break anywhere anytime ops:
Old 05-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member

I use it about once a week, like on Thursday night when I have a short trip home friday and took a two hour break thursday afternoon I can get home earlier. Other than that it isn't much use to me.

First if you use it every day your days start earlier and earlier. Monday starts at 8am, tuesday 6am, wednesday 4am, thursday 2am, friday at 12:01 am if you use it all week. That really screws with my sleep patterns.

Second you can use it one day to get your delivery off earlier, but you are locked in to taking that two hour break during the course of the day, sometimes that wastes valuable time you could have used. Usually I find that the days I use it I find myself wishing I hadn't.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-25-2008, 09:37 PM

I use it alot. It doesn't really give you any more time. Just helps if you can't get a full ten before an appointment time, or if you want to start a couple hours ahead of rush hour.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:25 AM

I was gonna suggest that it probably matters most if you deal with slow docks. Y'know - the kind that take 7 hours to off load 3 pallets.

SO, obviously, for some people, it will make a lot more sense than for others.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
I use it about once a week, like on Thursday night when I have a short trip home friday and took a two hour break thursday afternoon I can get home earlier. Other than that it isn't much use to me.

First if you use it every day your days start earlier and earlier. Monday starts at 8am, tuesday 6am, wednesday 4am, thursday 2am, friday at 12:01 am if you use it all week. That really screws with my sleep patterns.

Second you can use it one day to get your delivery off earlier, but you are locked in to taking that two hour break during the course of the day, sometimes that wastes valuable time you could have used. Usually I find that the days I use it I find myself wishing I hadn't.
Okay, Rawlco, I've let this slide for as long as I can.... now I must respond! this interpretation of the split logging rule makes no sense to me! :lol:

TWO hours in the afternoon, and 8 hours at night equalls the SAME 10 hours as if you took them ALL at night! The ONLY way the "circadian" rythm is distorted is when you DON'T spend the extra 2-3 hours on the dock! IF one drives 11 hours a day and takes 10 off (either STRAIGHT or SPLIT, he will ALWAYS, ALWAYS be working a 22 hour day ( accounting for fueling and pretrips) and thus will ALWAYS be "backing up" by two hours a day! Splitting makes NO DIFFERENCE in this equation! :roll:

I have used the "new" splitting rules EXTENSIVELY in the few SOLO runs I have made! I've even used it while TEAMING! The "trick" is to combine ALL your little 15 minute stops during the day into ONE 2 hour "block" Then take only 8 hours at night (for shutdown) and get on the road SOONER! But.... it is really no SOONER, than IF you could have arrived 2 hours earilier with a faster truck, (or by keeping the doors closed,) and shut down for a full 10! :roll:

I can't believe I'm saying this...but EVEN one of these SLOW truck... LOG IT AS YOU DO IT, drivers will have the SAME outcome! If he WANTS to take a two hour break during the day to shower, eat, etc., he will ONLY have to shut down for 8 hours at night! He gets on the road again at the SAME time as the guy who took the 10 hour break!

The "new" split logging is something that should ONLY be used by those who will "speed average" to get an advantage. IMHO, this BARELY balances out for the way things USED to be, when truckers could extend their clock for EVERY break they took!

But, Rawlco, YOUR math doesn't add up! IF a driver "splits" and takes two hours nap in the afternoon, then he will ARRIVE two hours later, and given the SAME unload time, if he shuts down for only 8 hours..... he is at the SAME timeframe as a driver who unloaded two hours earlier, and took a full 10 hour break! the "circadian rhythm" is based on about 3 hours "dock time" to make every driver's workday a FULL 14 hours..... plus 10 hour break..... start the same time everyday! Splitting has absolutely NOTHING to do with this "rhythm!" :wink: