Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
Too many people available for the positions. Also, it's not usually a salary a driver gets, it's piece rate. BOL

So why do so many current drivers participate in training new drivers knowing that this keeps there rate of pay down?
because they get more money for being a trainer. and if they dont do it, someone else will.

Maybe its time to educate them :twisted:
That sounds like some Jimmy Hoffa $h1t 8)

Don't like Jimmy...?
i was a Teamster and a UFCW union member. Unfortunately,my stay at ABF Freight didnt work out.
I think we definitly need something done about this industry's problems. but higher pay means higher freight charge, which means higher cost to the consumer. we're screwed no matter what.its a vicious cycle
Old 05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Pay

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Too many people available for the positions. Also, it's not usually a salary a driver gets, it's piece rate. BOL

So why do so many current drivers participate in training new drivers knowing that this keeps there rate of pay down?
because they get more money for being a trainer. and if they don't do it, someone else will.

Don't like Jimmy...?
i was a Teamster and a UFCW union member. Unfortunately,my stay at ABF Freight didnt work out.
I think we definitly need something done about this industry's problems. but
Quote:
higher pay means higher freight charge, which means higher cost to the consumer
. we're screwed no matter what.its a vicious cycle

So we as truckers should sacrifice our raises to help the economy? I don't think ENRON employees and CEO's thinks the same way..They take the raise.

Nice Guys finish last in business.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

In a capitalistic society (such as America), decision-makers make $$.

In other words, the harder the decision(s) involved in a line of work, the more money is to be made.

Let's face it, a company truck driver makes relatively easy decisions (Eg. get the freight from point A to point B in a certain amount of time along a certain route; fuel at fuel stop xyz, etc.) Consequently, society assigns a dollar-value to that type of work (and of course we know it's not enough!) :lol:

An O/O trucker makes complex decisions and thus gets paid more (OK, diesel prices are throwing a wrench into that argument at the present time).

A CEO makes highly complex decisions effecting scores of people...and are paid accordingly.

Just because someone (like a CEO) makes a ton-of-money doesn't mean they are evil scumbags (some are!). In the same way, many truckers are safe drivers most of the time (yet some aren't!).

The trucking profession is not the only one sacrificing timely raises. A lot of professions are suffering....

As an aside, I'd be thrilled to see goverment officials take a pay cut rather than demanding, voting, and getting raises! But then they do make "complex" decisions that screw...er...help all of us. :lol:
Old 05-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

because they get more money for being a trainer. and if they don't do it, someone else will.

Don't like Jimmy...?
Quote:

So we as truckers should sacrifice our raises to help the economy? I don't think ENRON employees and CEO's thinks the same way..They take the raise.

All i can say is, im doing my part.
i work for a company that doesnt haul cheap freight. and i would work for a company that does.
thjats all I can do
Old 05-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't like Jimmy...?
Quote:

i
Quote:
work for a company that doesnt haul cheap freight. and i would work for a company that does
thjats all I can do

Can you explain what is cheap freight? I have no idea the price of cheap freight.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

In my opinion all freight is cheap freight. The money is in owning an oil well. :wink:

Oh shoot, I forgot to quote every other post on this thread. sorry. :lol:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Board Regular

company # 1 charges $2000 to haul a load. company # 2 charges $3000.
guess which one hauls cheap freight.

you may ask, why would someone pay $3000 when they can get it hauled for $2000? it has to do with service and reliability.

any dipstick company or subhauler with a truck can hopefully get it there eventually for $2000
But a good company or subhauler with a reputation for on time and safe delivery, is better for alot of shippers.

example; Military freight pays very well.
also, manufacturers who ship stuff are mostly willing to pay a price to secure superior service to their customers when they know that a trusted trucking company delivers on time and safely. especially when they can roll the shipping cost to the customer.

of course, im talking about flatbed freight. but im sure it applies to van and reefer freight too.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote:447c66730d="Sealord"]Too many people available for the positions. Also, it's not usually a salary a driver gets, it's piece rate. BOL

Don't like Jimmy...?
Quote:

i
Quote:
work for a company that doesnt haul cheap freight. and i would work for a company that does
thjats all I can do

Can you explain what is cheap freight? I have no idea the price of cheap freight.
In my opinion all freight is cheap freight. The money is in owning an oil well. :wink:

Oh shoot, I forgot to quote every other post on this thread. sorry. :lol:[/quote:447c66730d]

There ya go. :wink: :lol:
Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I'll get raises of around $.87/hour per year over the next 5 years, which will top me out at $26.50/hr. At my usual 45 hour week, that's over $65,000/yr and I don't step foot in a truckslop. And every weekend is made for Michelob.

If I stayed OTR, I would have exhausted all my whopping penny raises and gotten zilch. Now I hear all this chatter on the children's band about guys having their rigs castrated back to 60 mph...which basically amounts to a paycut. All this with the price of gas and just about everything going up, up, up...?

You really gotta chuckle at the mentality of some of these drivers - justifying paycuts, no raises, etc so they can keep prices low at the stores....except prices AREN'T low at the stores. When are people gonna wake up? Never, I guess.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
In a capitalistic society (such as America), decision-makers make $$.

In other words, the harder the decision(s) involved in a line of work, the more money is to be made.

Let's face it, a company truck driver makes relatively easy decisions (Eg. get the freight from point A to point B in a certain amount of time along a certain route; fuel at fuel stop xyz, etc.) Consequently, society assigns a dollar-value to that type of work (and of course we know it's not enough!) :lol:

An O/O trucker makes complex decisions and thus gets paid more (OK, diesel prices are throwing a wrench into that argument at the present time).

A CEO makes highly complex decisions effecting scores of people...and are paid accordingly.

Just because someone (like a CEO) makes a ton-of-money doesn't mean they are evil scumbags (some are!). In the same way, many truckers are safe drivers most of the time (yet some aren't!).

The trucking profession is not the only one sacrificing timely raises. A lot of professions are suffering....

As an aside, I'd be thrilled to see goverment officials take a pay cut rather than demanding, voting, and getting raises! But then they do make "complex" decisions that screw...er...help all of us. :lol:
I think you kinda hit it there. It's not the difficulty of the decision, it's how much it affects the entire company. The CEO gets paid the big bucks because he's paid to grow the company. Improve it. Make the company MORE money.

With the advent of the golden parachute, though, he no longer has a truely vested interest. He knows that even if the company collapses around his ears, he's coming out with 5-10 years worth of salary in his bank account.

And I completely agree with you on politicians. NOBODY should have direct say in whether or not he gets a raise.